Dang red wigglers

Corn. Easier to hook carry and clean.
Man I can’t remember the last time I used corn for trout. Last few years it’s Been almost exclusively panther martins/mepps, and maybe trout magnets. If I use bait I just end up using the Berkeley power eggs - those are like crack to stockers, and don’t come off the hook like regular powerbait - I’ve caught 4-5 fish on the same two eggs on a hook multiple times.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I use bread balls for bream to :bounce:. Sometimes I dont have alot of time and want to fill up a stringer.
Most the time I fish the artificial section of the hooch with spinners and don't have to watch the bait chuckers out fish me.
If you are fishing with spinners, and the bait chuckers using niblet corn are outfishing you, you are doing something very, very wrong somehow.

hopper

If you are fishing with spinners, and the bait chuckers using niblet corn are outfishing you, you are doing something very, very wrong somehow.
Not doing anything wrong. It's been that way between Lanier and Bull Sluice for as long as I can remember. Been fishing it over 40yrs. I can tear em up on Joe's Flies with a lindy no snag or panther Martin most days. We have pretty long stretches that are artificial only. This stetch of the hooch is stocked extremely heavy with dough bellies that Love corn or power bait. It's not uncommon to watch someone stop fishing empty there corn can in the water and see a mini feeding frenzy. You can fish spinners in that spot for 30 minutes every which way and maybe catch one, not uncommon to get skunked in that spot. Some days you can hit below the dam and catch one every 5-10 min on spinners, other days the corn throwers are tearing them up. Anyone here that knows this stretch well can confirm.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Not doing anything wrong. It's been that way between Lanier and Bull Sluice for as long as I can remember. Been fishing it over 40yrs. I can tear em up on Joe's Flies with a lindy no snag or panther Martin most days. We have pretty long stretches that are artificial only. This stetch of the hooch is stocked extremely heavy with dough bellies that Love corn or power bait. It's not uncommon to watch someone stop fishing empty there corn can in the water and see a mini feeding frenzy. You can fish spinners in that spot for 30 minutes every which way and maybe catch one, not uncommon to get skunked in that spot. Some days you can hit below the dam and catch one every 5-10 min on spinners, other days the corn throwers are tearing them up. Anyone here that knows this stretch well can confirm.
K. Then it would be 100% different from any of the other thousands of trout waters I've fished if doughbellies won't hit well-fished spinners or flies more than any kind of bait.

hopper

K. Then it would be 100% different from any of the other thousands of trout waters I've fished if doughbellies won't hit well-fished spinners or flies more than any kind of bait.
Wasn't trying to insult your fishery skills. It's pretty well known this stretch of the hooch is a pretty unique fishery. It can be alot different than when I fish N.GA streams. Some days live bait here just does better. If you got some magic techniques for spinners my hats off to you Buddy (y)

Last edited:

Raylander

I’m Billy’s Useles Uncle.
I fish the hooch TW quite a bit around JB. I see folks standing where they should be fishing and casting back to where they should be standing. The bait boys (mostly messicans and Asians) just sit on the bank and cast worms, corn, or whatever and let them sit.

Lots of folks don’t know how to fish a spinner. Most have no understanding how to use the current to drag the spinner keeping it deep and swinging it through the strike zone. A good spinner attack is deadly on stocked trout

hopper

I fish the hooch TW quite a bit around JB. I see folks standing where they should be fishing and casting back to where they should be standing. The bait boys (mostly messicans and Asians) just sit on the bank and cast worms, corn, or whatever and let them sit.

Lots of folks don’t know how to fish a spinner. Most have no understanding how to use the current to drag the spinner keeping it deep and swinging it through the strike zone. A good spinner attack is deadly on stocked trout
100% agree. I grew up 2nd neighborhood on the left from JB and agree alot of folks don't know what they are doing. I use to fish Jb between 141 about everyday back then. Getting back to the OP and red wigglers we use to catch a ton of perch back then. All this corn nonsense behind us a black and gold Panther Martin was deadly but there were days red hot salmon eggs lit em up.

Richf7

The technique makes perfect sense but how do you keep from getting snagged on the rocks constantly?

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Your bait of choice needs to stay in the feeding zone the fish prefer at that particular location you choose to fish. That’s one reason I fish a nymph rig for trout although I really love to fish a dry fly.

hopper

The technique makes perfect sense but how do you keep from getting snagged on the rocks constantly?
Practice. Keep contact feel of the spinner and rod tip as it runs just above and bumps the bottom. You are going to loose some rigs for sure. You can practice with cheap spinners or just a split shot till you get the hang of it.