Dealership standard procedure

earlthegoat2

I had a tranny rebuilt in a vehicle of mine and a t had an extra 50 mi on the odometer.

The shop was well regarded and they noted the extra 50 mi (for testing) on the invoice before I paid.

I had the rear end rebuilt in a truck of mine and there were 30 mi extra on the odometer. That one wasn’t noted but I didn’t care enough to inquire.

I suppose that is standard practice for major mechanical jobs on highway vehicles.

transfixer

I had a tranny rebuilt in a vehicle of mine and a t had an extra 50 mi on the odometer.

The shop was well regarded and they noted the extra 50 mi (for testing) on the invoice before I paid.

I had the rear end rebuilt in a truck of mine and there were 30 mi extra on the odometer. That one wasn’t noted but I didn’t care enough to inquire.

I suppose that is standard practice for major mechanical jobs on highway vehicles.

50 miles is a lot , unless they were having problems with it and it required multiple test drives, the norm I would say is somewhere around 10-15 miles, some of these newer transmissions the computer has to re-learn the shift points after rebuild and it can take longer on some,

I would say 20-30 miles would be about right for a differential rebuild, to make sure everything has worn in correctly so to speak.

K80Shooter

Back when I was a fleet manager in Atlanta, we carried one of our vans to Big 10 Tire for a set of tires to be installed. As it was getting late, we left it to be picked up the next morning.

As it turns out we had gps trackers on all of our vehicles and I check on things every morning. The van that was supposedly left at the tire company had left the tire company that night, was driven several miles around the town then parked overnight at a residence.

When I confronted them about this the next morning of course they tried to deny this and stated that it was in their shop all night. I took the manager aside and showed him on my laptop exactly what time the van had left, every stop that it had made and even the address where it was that night. With all of this information the manager then admitted that it was him that took the van, ran some errands then went home for the night and returned it the next morning.

Needless to say, Big 10 never did any work for us again as long as I was there. They lost a lot of business over this.

Redbow

When I had the tranny rebuilt in my old truck they drove it maybe 15 miles or so before I picked it up to take home.

As many times as I have had a front end alignment that shop in Florence SC is the only time someone drove my vehicle to make sure the car drove okay and stayed gone for over an hour with it. Other alignment shops always told me that if I wasn't satisfied with their work to bring my car back and they would take a look at it again and make necessary repairs.

georgia_home

never had this happen. but dealer left my old bosses car in the service bay overnight. on the lift.

somewhere in the night, ?power?hydraulics? whatever holds it up gave out.

next morning, car was laying on its roof.

stuff happens. but not like having a mechanic take your ride to the beach for a weekend.

Oldstick

Also note that the OP stated it was for a standard oil change. No test drive need after an oil change. Only maybe a few minutes of idling to check for any leaks then possibly top off the oil t the full mark.l