Debate

ambush80

I saw this today and it reminded me of what I think we try to do here.

Can anyone honestly say that this is what they strive for upstairs?

Israel

BANNED
"open engagement roots out hypocrisy in a way censorship never could..."

It would seem in that statement hypocrisy is something to be rooted out, as though an evil thing. I suppose it would cause some wonder as to why hypocrisy is viewed so negatively and always getting a bad rap. Well, at the very least the hypocrisy of others.

ambush80

"open engagement roots out hypocrisy in a way censorship never could..."

It would seem in that statement hypocrisy is something to be rooted out, as though an evil thing. I suppose it would cause some wonder as to why hypocrisy is viewed so negatively and always getting a bad rap. Well, at the very least the hypocrisy of others.

I think hypocrisy offends people's sensibilities on many levels. On one level I think it violates our instinct towards reciprocal altruism. We've evolved to help each other to our own benefit. That's caused us to develop ideas like fairness. Seems to me that hypocrisy violates ideas of fairness. Hypocritical behavior implies that the offender thinks themselves better than others, as if they are too good for the prescription that they demand others follow.

atlashunter

That is how every institution of higher learning should be. It’s sad that University of Chicago is the outlier in this regard. Those people who try to shout down views they don’t like should be tazed senseless and promptly removed from the premises, preferably head first.

atlashunter

If you want to see an extreme case of the rot in higher education check out the documentary about Evergreen State on Mike Nayna's youtube channel. It's scary.

ambush80

If you want to see an extreme case of the rot in higher education check out the documentary about Evergreen State on Mike Nayna's youtube channel. It's scary.

Seen it. Been following the story of Brett and Heather since it happened.