Deer #1 (first tree stand kill)

splatek

UAEC
Knew sneaking out early over the weekend with the little ones left with momma was going to be tough so I told the woman I was going to sit today. Found some fresh, shiny scat on the way in and a hot white oak dropping acorns. This isn't far from where I had a run in with a 10 point that stayed just a little too far out of range for me on Tuesday and was hoping for the same thing today. The hunting gods had other plans. I saw no less than 10 unique gobblers - if folks think squirrels get the heart rate up, jeez, those turkeys walking in on me had my heart pounding and my vision going blurry. When I found out they were turkeys I calmed down, obviously. I sat most of the afternoon, hoping and praying a bear would stroll past this white oak. That didn't happen. But, about 6:15 I heard what I thought was more turkey walking so I turned to my left; after about 5 minutes looking I couldn't see anything so I turned back to my right and by golly there was a nice doe standing broadside. She walked directly into where my scent was blowing but didn't spook off, just sniffed, stopped, sniffed, etc. She happened to be stopped right behind another white oak, or at least her vitals were. I thought to myself, if I am going to make this happen then I'd better get to it. So I loosened my tether so I could lean way out over the tree stand, which opened up her vitals for a clear shot. 14 yards; first shot ever on an animal from a treestand with my bow and I spined her. I quickly loosed another arrow at her but missed. So I got down out of the stand and finished her off at point blank range. Not an ideal situation, but there's more meat in the freezer.

IMG_2587.jpg

I got home about 8pm and little man Presley wasn't asleep so momma said, "you've taken him hunting, what do you think he'd do if he saw the deer?" She read my mind, so I brought him downstairs to have a look. I really wish he could've helped me track, but that wasn't in the cards this time. He was enthralled. Happy and curious. Then he had to go back to bed so I could quarter her up and get her on ice. What a day. Another trad kill. My first tree stand kill with my bow.

IMG_2598.jpg

splatek

UAEC
Good deal Steve. That young fella is going to be a hunter one day.

I can only hope
He was watching a Christmas cartoon with his grandparents the other day and grandma told me when the reindeer came on the screen he started saying “meat, meat.” He a character that’s for sure. Hoping he becomes my best hunting buddy over the next few years, then I’ll work on this 4 month old little girl that has me wrapped around her finger!

Longhunter89

Congrats on the deer! I usually hunt pretty deep on public so getting a deer out whole isn't possible. When I come home the first thing my kids do once I've told them I shot something is run back to the truck. 9nce they realize its already in the cooler it's like sheer disappointment.......Then I get immediately scolded for not bringing it out whole so they could have seen it.

splatek

UAEC
Congrats on the deer! I usually hunt pretty deep on public so getting a deer out whole isn't possible. When I come home the first thing my kids do once I've told them I shot something is run back to the truck. 9nce they realize its already in the cooler it's like sheer disappointment.......Then I get immediately scolded for not bringing it out whole so they could have seen it.

I usually quarter and pack out as well, but I really wanted him to see the deer. Try to teach em so I’m willing to suffer a little for his benefit and that smile of his. hopefully he’ll be helping soon

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Packing one out is the way to do it but I need the whole deer brought out so I can strip all the sinew off it and process the hide. Need the brain, liver and heart out of each deer to.

splatek

UAEC
Packing one out is the way to do it but I need the whole deer brought out so I can strip all the sinew off it and process the hide. Need the brain, liver and heart out of each deer to.

I threw the liver and heart in the pack. The rest of the guts stayed in the woods.