Deer shank fajitas and fixins....

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Shanks are one of the best pieces of meat on a deer if you cook them right.

Longhunter89

Shanks are one of the best pieces of meat on a deer if you cook them right.
Yes sir they are! Unfortunately a lot of them are throwed away every year by folks. I'm guilty of it too. If I am hunting private land I'll save them. On public land, when I'm packing deer out I tend to leave the shanks in the woods. I need to get better about packing them out.

twtabb

I boiled one for the dog. Fell asleep with it on real low. Got up the next morning and took it out to give the dog. Thought I would try a piece. I gave her the bone but the meat went in my stomach.
Took a doe to be processed told to save the shanks. He cleaned them up and put in food saver bag. Looking for a good recipe.

naildrvr

I never saved the shanks until last year when I saw NCH post cooked pics of them. Now I save them all and they are indeed a fine piece of meat when cooked down real slow.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I boiled one for the dog. Fell asleep with it on real low. Got up the next morning and took it out to give the dog. Thought I would try a piece. I gave her the bone but the meat went in my stomach.
Took a doe to be processed told to save the shanks. He cleaned them up and put in food saver bag. Looking for a good recipe.
Meateater Osso Bucco. You're welcome.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
But take Steve's bear cooking instruction with some caution:ROFLMAO:.
At least the recipe for "I'm give out, exhausted, and starved 11:00 PM bloody bear meat half-roasted on a stick over a fire with a side of trichinosis" recipe. :bounce:

slow motion

But take Steve's bear cooking instruction with some caution:ROFLMAO:.

At least the recipe for "I'm give out, exhausted, and starved 11:00 PM bloody bear meat half-roasted on a stick over a fire with a side of trichinosis" recipe. :bounce:
Was I drunk that day or did I miss this? If it's an inside joke though that's cool too.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Was I drunk that day or did I miss this? If it's an inside joke though that's cool too.
Steve Rinella and his buddy Janis Putelis killed a bear about dark one night several miles from camp. They got back to camp late at night and were starved and exhausted. They roasted some bear meat to bloody rare over their fire and ate a bunch of it for supper. They both wound up severely infected with trichinosis, and much discomfort and agony ensued.

slow motion

Steve Rinella and his buddy Janis Putelis killed a bear about dark one night several miles from camp. They got back to camp late at night and were starved and exhausted. They roasted some bear meat to bloody rare over their fire and ate a bunch of it for supper. They both wound up severely infected with trichinosis, and much discomfort and agony ensued.
Felt bad for hitting the like button but I laughed when I read it so pretty sure it's required.

ambush80

And some of the crew.