Dehydrated channel cat

sprewett

Any of y'all dehydrated channel cat? If so how did it turn out and what spices did ya put on it.
Thinking of trying to do some.

Jdmb123

Never have but one time I had tenants fall through my garage ceiling. I noticed because they tried to nail the pieces back up. Once they left town my wife and I went back in and I decided to look in the attic and to our amazement there was a string of trout hanging from the trusses. These European tenants had a thing for it I guess but learned the hard way about stepping through the attic. Until then I didn’t now dried fish was a thing.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Never have tried making fish jerky. Sounds interesting. It should either be pretty good or horrible, one. :)

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
I’ve had plenty of smoked fish. I guess if you let it dry enough in the smoker you’ll have dried smoked catfish. If you’re just hanging it up to dry, then it seems to me you’re going to have dried rotten fish.

oldfella1962

I’ve had plenty of smoked fish. I guess if you let it dry enough in the smoker you’ll have dried smoked catfish. If you’re just hanging it up to dry, then it seems to me you’re going to have dried rotten fish.
Smoked sucker (smoked salmon too) is great!

Big7

The Oracle
Never have tried making fish jerky. Sounds interesting. It should either be pretty good or horrible, one. :)
IDK about a not oily white fish. Seems like it would be powdery and have a hard time staying together. Dried/smoked Salmon, Trout, etc, is a staple in MANY areas and cultures.

But... There are very few things I won't try at least once.

Keep us posted.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Also, I don't think I would want to eat catfish without cooking them. A friend of mine's daughter was doing undergraduate research on parasites of catfish in the Savannah River Basin. She went out jugging with us a few times and collected a bunch of samples. I won't go into the details, but I would not eat uncooked catfish, I'll just put it that way. :)

Hunter922

Never have but one time I had tenants fall through my garage ceiling. I noticed because they tried to nail the pieces back up. Once they left town my wife and I went back in and I decided to look in the attic and to our amazement there was a string of trout hanging from the trusses. These European tenants had a thing for it I guess but learned the hard way about stepping through the attic. Until then I didn’t now dried fish was a thing.
New rental agreement.... no hanging dead fish anywhere inside the house... check

Big7

The Oracle
Also, I don't think I would want to eat catfish without cooking them. A friend of mine's daughter was doing undergraduate research on parasites of catfish in the Savannah River Basin. She went out jugging with us a few times and collected a bunch of samples. I won't go into the details, but I would not eat uncooked catfish, I'll just put it that way. :)
Some places in warmer freshwater have the kind of funk that can kill you just by swimming in it, getting it in your nose, mouth or open cut.

That's a scary situation to me. Parasites are everywhere

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Any of y'all dehydrated channel cat? If so how did it turn out and what spices did ya put on it.
Thinking of trying to do some.
Use the same spices you put in that venison and BRING ME SOME! I’m your huckleberry! I’ll be at work early Thursday, then off to Ky Friday for the weekend. I’m gonna try and catch a big ole catfish in my uncle’s pond While I’m there…….and of course a bass.

DynamicDennis

Guess I shouldn't make the catfish sushi later this week

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member