Delayed Harvest Streams and Artificial Lures Clarification

SarahFair

Im a little confused on delayed harvest streams and what exactly a artifial lure is considered.
Ill be up in White county sometime soon and am trying to get everything together.

I plan on staying in Unicoi and trout fishing. There they have Smith Creek, but there are two sections of Smith Creek, one above the lake, and one below. The one below looks like it has special regulations, delayed harvest, which you can only use artifical lures in, along with a few more regs I dont plan on implementing anyways.

The guy I talked to at Unicoi said they they have designated streams and are catch and release only, but looking at the DNR interactive trout map (picture below), its saying that the part of Smith Creek above the lake has no regulations. So, can you use any bait up there? Keep those fish?

If we decide to fish other streams ie. Low Gap, Spoilcane Creek, Jasus Creek, can we keep those fish?
If we bring them back in the park and cook/possess them at the camp site, is that illegal?
I dont *plan* on keeping any fish, but if one dies for whatever reason :huh: (obvisouly keeping within the boundries of the law)

Delayed Harvest Streams
Anglers fishing delayed harvest streams must release all trout immediately and use and possess only artificial lures with one single hook per lure from Nov. 1–May 14 annually. The use of additional “dropper” lures on one line is permitted as long as each lure contains one single hook. These restrictions do not apply from May 15–Oct. 31 of each year. The following streams are delayed harvest streams:
  • Smith Creek on Unicoi State Park from Unicoi Dam downstream to the Unicoi State Park property boundary.
  • Chattahoochee River from Sope Creek (off Columns Drive) downstream to US Hwy 41 (Cobb Parkway).

Artificial Lures Only
In streams listed here only artificial lures may be used. It is unlawful to possess any other type bait on an “artificial lures only” stream (see Definitions).
  • Chattahoochee River from GA Hwy 20 to the boat ramp at the National Park Service Medlock Bridge Park immediately upstream of GA Hwy 141.

(information pulled from the DNR interactive map)
Smith Creek (yellow area in picture below)
Heavily Stocked: Yes
Delayed Harvest: No
Special Regulations: None
Basin: Chattahoochee

Smith Creek (pink area in picture below)
Heavily Stocked: Yes
Delayed Harvest: Yes
Special Regulations: More info
Basin: Chattahoochee

So, back to artificial lures.
My mind said, artifical = fake, never lived ie. worms, minnows, eggs, corn, etc; but Ga law says

Artificial Lure
Any lure made completely of natural or colored wood, cork, feathers, hair, rubber, metal, plastic, tinsel, styrofoam, sponge, string, or any combination of such materials, in imitation of or as a substitute for natural bait. This does not include any item sprayed with or containing scented or chemical attractants.

Which means powerbait is out since it has chemical attractants, correct?
So, could one use power bait in the upper area of Smiths Creek, by Anna Ruby Falls Rd, or in the Low gap area?

Do Trout Magnets fall under the definition of artificial lures?
Are there any chemical or scented attractants on these?
1617291323433.png

Interactive Trout Map

1617288585955.png

1617288779850.png

almoore

You've done your research. The only stream you mentioned that is delayed harvest is Smith Creek below the lake from the dam downstream to the end of the Unicoi Park border. You can use bait, powerbait, etc. everywhere else you mentioned, including Smith Creek above the lake and the lake itself, and you can possess trout in all those areas and the Unicoi camp sites, all according to general Georgia trout regulations. In the delayed harvest section, don't use bait, use single hooks and don't posess a trout. Anything scented or with an attractant, including a plastic bait with salt, cannot be used or possessed in the delayed harvest area. You were smart to talk to Unicoi Outfitters. They will set you straight. You might consider buying Steve Hudson's book on trout fishing Unicoi Park. https://www.flykits.net/flyfishing-books

Fletch_W

Banned
The special regs on the delayed harvest sections expire on May15, which is a saturday, if that's when you plan your trip you should be good. But you'll have a lot of company that weekend too.

Also.. if you go before then, make sure you do not possess any of the outlawed baits or hooks, not even in the bottom of your tacklebox. Simply possessing the outlawed tackle is the same as fishing with it, in the eyes of the law. Even if you are flyfishing but you've got a PantherMartin in your backpack, you are in violation.

SarahFair

Thanks yall. Ill probably do as advised and just avoid that part of the creek.
If we do decide to fish it, Ill be sure to take only what we are allowed to have.

florida boy

The special regs on the delayed harvest sections expire on May15, which is a saturday, if that's when you plan your trip you should be good. But you'll have a lot of company that weekend too.

Also.. if you go before then, make sure you do not possess any of the outlawed baits or hooks, not even in the bottom of your tacklebox. Simply possessing the outlawed tackle is the same as fishing with it, in the eyes of the law. Even if you are flyfishing but you've got a PantherMartin in your backpack, you are in violation.
So starting may 15th you can keep your 8 fish caught on any bait ( natural and multihook ) correct ?

MariettaNole

Mepps and Panther Martin make some decent single hook lures that, I believe (haven't asked local DNR) should be ok. Do not have any unauthorized tackle on you.

Dr. Strangelove

This is my most unfavorite part of that law and is pure lazy law enforcement in my opinion. I fly fish, use natural bait and artificial baits, whatever I feel like using at the time and I fish multiple streams in a day. I shouldn't have to keep two vests to keep my tackle separated. If you catch me using an illegal lure, cite me (I don't). Simply having them in my vest doesn't mean I'm planning to use them.

But I agree with lampern, I'd just stay off that part of Smith Creek before it goes to normal trout water.