Did you clean any guns tonight?

Dub

Figured I'd clean today's carry gun, UTC, along with today's range guns.

The girls weren't too happy about having to move so I work. :)

Grip swap on the Brown.

These two were in need of the effort.

Did a grip swap on the Monolith, too.

Moved the Mono grips over to the UTC so I can try to recondition what it was wearing.

Gonna leave 'em on there a while and see how they feel when carrying.

sbroadwell

I did. Went out in the yard Wednesday and shot my AR15 and 1911. I almost always clean a gun the day I shoot it
But went out of town.
So, cleaned them both. Now to figure out what to shoot tomorrow, so I’ll have something else to clean. Maybe the P365.

Jester896

Senior Clown
finished up my .28 gauge this morning...got the extractor working a little smoother...got the little spot out of the bottom barrel...then burnished it a little with honing oil...greased the parts that needed it and coated the barrels with G96 and a mop...GTG.

Dub

finished up my .28 gauge this morning...got the extractor working a little smoother...got the little spot out of the bottom barrel...then burnished it a little with honing oil...greased the parts that needed it and coated the barrels with G96 and a mop...GTG.

http://www.g96.com

I'd never heard of that stuff....went and looked it up.

Sounds about perfect, too. Read their salt water testing and am impressed. (y)

Jester896

Senior Clown
This is what I have used on my shotguns for 15+ years

also spray a shaving brush and wipe down rifle surfaces with it

Last edited:
Reactions: Dub

sbroadwell

Well, 30 more rounds through the P365 in the yard. Shooting at an empty coffee can, from about 30 feet. Tried two hands, right hand only, left hand only. Strangely, I always shoot better using only my left hand, which is weird, since I'm right handed.
Shot up some steel case ammo I bought when I couldn't find anything else. Now the gun is all clean, reloaded with hollow points, and ready for the week.

I used Hoppes #9 to clean it. A quart sized bottle I bought back in the early '70s. During my 25 year hiatus from shooting, I kept that. It was always down in the basement, though 3 different houses. Now, it's just about gone. I try to conserve it, as modern #9 might not be the same. Pour a little bit into a little cup, when I'm finished pour the remainder back in the bottle.Hoppes.jpg

rosewood

Well, 30 more rounds through the P365 in the yard. Shooting at an empty coffee can, from about 30 feet. Tried two hands, right hand only, left hand only. Strangely, I always shoot better using only my left hand, which is weird, since I'm right handed.
Are u left eye dominant?

sbroadwell

Are u left eye dominant?

Nope, thank goodness. I work with a guy that is right handed but left eye dominant, and he has a terrible time shooting. I don’t, can shoot pretty good, just surprised that I’m a little bit better left handed with a handgun. That’s not so with a long gun, though.

rosewood

Nope, thank goodness. I work with a guy that is right handed but left eye dominant, and he has a terrible time shooting. I don’t, can shoot pretty good, just surprised that I’m a little bit better left handed with a handgun. That’s not so with a long gun, though.
I have a buddy that found out he could shoot better left handed than right when he is right handed after he realized he is left eye dominant.

I did discover that I shoot better left handed with single stack than double stack. With my right hand, it doesn't seem to matter. Guess I am less dexterous with my left.

Rosewood

Dub

Cleaned a gun I've been carrying a lot lately. It's one that @pacecars helped tip me over the edge and succumb to the cravin'. I'd been waiting on Dan Wesson to launch their DWX carry gun....but two years after announcing it....and none produced...I gave up on 'em and went with a tried & true concoction that Bill Wilson's Gun Shop had conjured up.

So glad I did. Funny thing is that it's been another 18 months since adding it....and still no DWX on the market. I guess Cuomo really set them back with his covid restrictions and manufacturing halt. DW lost some key customer service folks as well as their head gunsmith during the Cuomo restrictions.

It's a poodle-chooter caliber....but it packs 15+1 with 18rd spare, carries mighty easy and is one of the most inherently accurate guns I've ever shot....both bullseye accuracy as well as tight groups when running fast.

After a good cleaning & wipe down I had some time to take a look at the wear patterns.

Slide stop hole and rail sides looking good.

Rails & ejector looking super clean...no signs of wear. Perhaps....just perhaps...there is some good stuff going on with the one & only lube this gun has seen: WC Ultima Lite. It's making me a believer thus far.

All looks good under the hood.

I'm no expert but the wear on the slide stop pin looks good to me. Seems like the barrel fit was done well.

Reassembled and racked the slide a few times to work the Ultima Lite into place. A little dry fire practice. Shaking of a sinus headache today and grouchy ...but that single action trigger was grin inducing. Love a clean breaking trigger & tactile reset. I don't mind heavier triggers...just like them to be clean & crisp on the break with distinctive reset.

The gun was ordered with a rounded gold bead front sight and as well as another green fiber optic front sight. I fully expected the gold bead to be a science experiment that would fail and I'd flip it to another EDC X9 shooter. I'd tried a brass bead on a prior gun and it didn't work for me. This one, however, jumps out at my eye under some wide-ranging lighting conditions. The green sight remains stashed away as a spare if ever needed.

I've gone on to add gold beads to other 1911's.

Cleaned up and ready to carry on.

pacecars

Cleaned a gun I've been carrying a lot lately. It's one that @pacecars helped tip me over the edge and succumb to the cravin'. I'd been waiting on Dan Wesson to launch their DWX carry gun....but two years after announcing it....and none produced...I gave up on 'em and went with a tried & true concoction that Bill Wilson's Gun Shop had conjured up.

So glad I did. Funny thing is that it's been another 18 months since adding it....and still no DWX on the market. I guess Cuomo really set them back with his covid restrictions and manufacturing halt. DW lost some key customer service folks as well as their head gunsmith during the Cuomo restrictions.

It's a poodle-chooter caliber....but it packs 15+1 with 18rd spare, carries mighty easy and is one of the most inherently accurate guns I've ever shot....both bullseye accuracy as well as tight groups when running fast.

After a good cleaning & wipe down I had some time to take a look at the wear patterns.

Slide stop hole and rail sides looking good.

Rails & ejector looking super clean...no signs of wear. Perhaps....just perhaps...there is some good stuff going on with the one & only lube this gun has seen: WC Ultima Lite. It's making me a believer thus far.

All looks good under the hood.

I'm no expert but the wear on the slide stop pin looks good to me. Seems like the barrel fit was done well.

Reassembled and racked the slide a few times to work the Ultima Lite into place. A little dry fire practice. Shaking of a sinus headache today and grouchy ...but that single action trigger was grin inducing. Love a clean breaking trigger & tactile reset. I don't mind heavier triggers...just like them to be clean & crisp on the break with distinctive reset.

The gun was ordered with a rounded gold bead front sight and as well as another green fiber optic front sight. I fully expected the gold bead to be a science experiment that would fail and I'd flip it to another EDC X9 shooter. I'd tried a brass bead on a prior gun and it didn't work for me. This one, however, jumps out at my eye under some wide-ranging lighting conditions. The green sight remains stashed away as a spare if ever needed.

I've gone on to add gold beads to other 1911's.

Cleaned up and ready to carry on.

This is one heck of a gun. It made me a believer in a 9mm

Latest posts