Did you clean any guns tonight?

Dub

An afternoon cup of coffee and a dirty carry gun.

Been meaning to get this one cleaned, inspected & lubed. Just knocked it out and have it ready to roll.

Gibbs sprayed all over....let it soak a few minutes while I sipped....then got after with a brush and cloth.

Hit the contact surfaces with Wilson's excellent Ultima Lube.

Easy reassembly and all is well.

bullgator

Shot sporting clays this morning. Wiped down the Benelli M2 and left it in the garage until tomorrow.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
The safety on a 98yr old Model 12 20ga got stuck in the safe position on a hunt last week. Turns out that the red paint used to show "fire" position was broken down and gummed up sticking the safe in position. I got it cleaned off and cleaned out so I gave all the internals a good cleaning and lube while it was apart
20221117_150959.jpg
I was inspired after that and took my Grandfather's Ithaca M37 20 ga completely apart for a cleaning and lube.
20221119_133827.jpg
Then I did a complete disassembly/cleaning/lube of an 11-87 while the supplies were out. (No Pics of that)

SC Hunter

I cleaned my 17 hmr yesterday. That poor gun rides between my console and passenger seat year round. It's killed unknown amounts of varmints, bottle tops, several rattle snakes etc. It had some rust starting to pop up on different places again so I gave it a decent cleaning. I need to rattle can the metal parts with high temp paint and be done with it. I believe everybody should have a dedicated rifle for "things that need shot" in the truck.

Big7

The Oracle
Anybody still use Break Free?

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Anybody still use Break Free?
I've used their Powder Blast way more than their CLP. Their CLP I have has to be 20yrs old and it's still 3/4 full. For me Weapon Shield has been a better CLP.
20221121_152408.jpg

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I normally wait until I can hear it working...it's about time. The finish on mine is worn away from ejection. Just can tell you how many times I shot a flat of shells in it in a day.

If I send you my C4 bottle would you top it off for me
The man that invented most if not all of BoreTech's products is my neighbor.
I asked him what is a good product to clean plastic out of choke tubes and he gave me that saying it works almost as well on plastic as it does Carbon.
That little bottle of Cop-Sol was one of his first concoctions before he got involved with BoreTech.

Reactions: Dub

Jester896

Senior Clown
The man that invented most if not all of BoreTech's products is my neighbor.
Good Deal

I have used their Proof Positive jags and brushes for a long time it seems. We meet the guys a the last 2 Rifle Expos...last time we ordered a bunch of their products Molly Majic, C4, Eliminator and the Copper. I have re ordered the Eliminator....good stuff

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I acquired a Hopkins and Allen .38XL Shotgun years ago. The barrel has a bulge/ring around it. My guess is someone fired a modern .38 pistol cartridge in it and the bullet caused the bulge. Due to that and scarcity of ammo it's a wall hanger. It has a lot of nice brown patina on it but it also has whatever oil and gunk on the inside also. I could never open the rolling block due to the firing pin protruding out and catching on the lip of the chamber edge preventing the action from dropping, plus the crud buildup had every tolerance inside maxxed out.
Lots of Kroil and Weapon Shield later I was able to work the firing pin free, open the action, get the receiver apart, take all the internals apart, clean, relube and reassembled.
Now I REALLY wish that there was no bulge in that barrel as I would love to make some ammo for it..
20221121_233820.jpg20221122_000234.jpg20221122_095957.jpg

Jester896

Senior Clown
Do you use the Hot Soapy Water method?
I was listening to a couple of guys at my buddy's shop talking about this Saturday. They said to stick one end in the bucket with warm soapy water...wrap a rag on the jag or one of the slotted jags with a tight fit....run it up and down and it pulls the hot soapy water up the barrel like a straw. Said you were done when the water in the bucket was black.

My buddy picked him up an M77/50 and I am tempted to get something...we are looking hard at making a couple of smokeless ones on a 700 footprint

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I was listening to a couple of guys at my buddy's shop talking about this Saturday. They said to stick one end in the bucket with warm soapy water...wrap a rag on the jag or one of the slotted jags with a tight fit....run it up and down and it pulls the hot soapy water up the barrel like a straw. Said you were done when the water in the bucket was black.

My buddy picked him up an M77/50 and I am tempted to get something...we are looking hard at making a couple of smokeless ones on a 700 footprint
That bucket or in my case utility sink method was how my Dad taught me to do it. He would get a large pot of water rolling on the stove, put some Dawn detergent in the utility sink start sudsing up the Dawn with the hottest spigot water and then add in the boiling water from the stove. It only has to be deep enough to cover the flash hole and the tight fitting bore mop sucks the hot soapy water in and then pushes it out. Do it until the soap water was filthy and that hot water evaporated in the bore. We would run a dry patch or two through to make sure all the moisture was gone and then run a .50cal bore mop with T/C Bore Butter on it.
Has worked for 40 years for us.