Did you reload anything today #4

Darkhorse

This particular batch is Hornady brass- the next batch is Nosler, and I am looking at switching to Peterson possibly after the Nosler. Picked up a box of the Peterson and really like the looks of it- but haven’t loaded any yet.

The loads are 1.1 grains less than max per Barnes, but average 34 FPS faster than max load data.

I have not annealed at this time.

I don't load Hornady brass anymore. Several years ago I bought some 300 win. SST's to see how they shot. After shooting a few I tried to prep the cases for loading. The burr inside the flash hole was so big and hard it was all I could do to remove it.
there is better brass out there.
But give us a full report anyway. Things may have changed.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I find some differences in the old Frontier brass compared to the newer Hornady stamped. Either is better than FC brass in my view.

Darkhorse

I remember that old Frontier brass also. I've been loading 44 mag for several decades, we had 2 ruger auto carbines and my SBH at one time. The frontier brass would not go in my shell holder without a twist and hard push. Other than that it was fine brass.
As many as I was loading to feed our 44's that little delay with the shell holder is memorable.

deerslayer357

I picked up 30 pieces of once fired brass from a friend when I got the rifle, as well as a box of loaded ammo that I bought after buying the rifle. Whenever I am done with this batch of brass I will not be buying Hornady brass again either.

Reactions: Dub

menhadenman

Well, I got all paranoid and had to order a few lbs of stuff from Powder Valley. By the way, they have large rifle primers in stock (Remington 9 1/2).

Got a few goodies that cost me over $300. But found a discount code for free shipping to ease the pain. It's ASFS24 and you apply it at checkout.

1715443420659.png

deerslayer357

I loaded 50 300 win mag in virgin Peterson brass. 168 grain TTSX’s over Reloader 17.

Jester896

Senior Clown
Picked these up that my buddy ordered for our presses...that should help with the fat finger thing.

IMG_2143.jpg

found this powder measure stand on sale and it looked like it might work better with my Harrell's. It didn't quite so I had him mill it so it would.

374865d1484340300t-some-home-protection-i-m-worried-about-crime[1].jpg
IMG_2141.jpg

he finished pulling most of the .223 rounds that needed pulling to recover components. Yesterday we sorted cases and knocked out a couple K of machine errors. We knocked out primers in the ones that were sideways or other errors and chamfered the primer pockets on the ones that needed it.

While he was searching for something in the shelves next to his work bench...way up on the top cubby hole kinda pushed back I spotted these puppies.

IMG_2145.jpg
stole the 7 boxes still in the brick fair and square

Dub

Picked these up that my buddy ordered for our presses...that should help with the fat finger thing.

View attachment 1305419

found this powder measure stand on sale and it looked like it might work better with my Harrell's. It didn't quite so I had him mill it so it would.

View attachment 1305420
View attachment 1305421

he finished pulling most of the .223 rounds that needed pulling to recover components. Yesterday we sorted cases and knocked out a couple K of machine errors. We knocked out primers in the ones that were sideways or other errors and chamfered the primer pockets on the ones that needed it.

While he was searching for something in the shelves next to his work bench...way up on the top cubby hole kinda pushed back I spotted these puppies.

View attachment 1305422
stole the 7 boxes still in the brick fair and square

Stand looks great.
Nice & clean relief work that fits perfect now.

Was watching a Cyclops (Joe W. Rhea) video on YouTube where he was working through a pile of different RWS loads....one of them was the R50. I'd post it here......but cuz shatters the language filter here.
That being said.....at the end of a long day at work it makes for some welcome laughs. (y)

Liberty

I have an WY elk hunt in October. Been working up a load and practicing for 2-1/2 years now, and don’t want to get rusty now!
I got a bad taste in my mouth from loading some early Barnes bullets, but the past several years I've moved more and more to modern copper after witnessing the terminal performance first hand. I think that's a perfect load for cow sized game animals.