Do ya'll think twice about firing up the grill?

sinclair1

For hotdogs or burgers I use these to keep the waste down. You can put 15-20 pieces of charcoal in one of these and cook two burgers and two baked potatoes. I throw a hand full of yard Hickory for burgers.
I am on my last bag of the good sale RO from Lowe’s when they did 2 for $10.19F771B1-954F-4F69-A97B-E29833F285EF.jpeg

leroy

Ive used these few times better than royal oak but more expensive

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230702_113001_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20230702_113001_Google.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 4

fflintlock

Useles Billy’s Clubhouse Maintenance man
I mostly use B&B lump and I'll buy an occasional bag of Kingsford briquettes. The B&B I get at academy for 15.00 a bag. Two years ago it was 13.00. A quick grill for me and the wife gets done on the Lodge Sportsman Grill. A handful of briquettes can be ready in minutes and will grill up steaks, burgers, hotdogs and pork chops fairly quick. That's Sportsman Grill is the best 90.00 I ever spent. To me, it's not how quick it takes when you want to grill something, it's about the taste and enjoyment of grill'n food. Slow down a bit and enjoy yourself. 16884663692897911868447657037404.jpg

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
Nope. I can start a pile of lump in 5 mins with my trusty $9.99 heat gun from harbor freight, and it's ready to cook in less than 15 mins. As soon as I'm done, I choke it out, and keep reusing that pile of lump for a couple more cooks.

Stob

Useles Billy’s Uncle StepDaddy.
Nope. I can start a pile of lump in 5 mins with my trusty $9.99 heat gun from harbor freight, and it's ready to cook in less than 15 mins. As soon as I'm done, I choke it out, and keep reusing that pile of lump for a couple more cooks.
I do the same and I use the cheap fire starters. I thought for the first couple of years that I had an Akorn that I was doing something wrong. A large bag of lump will last me a year or close to it and we use the Akron a couple of times per month.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

This. ^ Ace has every brand in the world but I usually go with BGE lump. I'll fill the Akorn about 1/3 full and I can get 3 cooks out of it and still have charcoal leftover in the bottom. I use lump hickory, cherry, apple and pecan for smoke and that becomes charcoal too since I snuff out the fire when I'm done cooking.

And no, I don't think twice about firing it up. I prolly cook on my Akorn 4 nights out of 7 as long as it isn't raining. I just like cooking on an open fire.

specialk

This. ^ Ace has every brand in the world but I usually go with BGE lump. I'll fill the Akorn about 1/3 full and I can get 3 cooks out of it and still have charcoal leftover in the bottom. I use lump hickory, cherry, apple and pecan for smoke and that becomes charcoal too since I snuff out the fire when I'm done cooking.

And no, I don't think twice about firing it up. I prolly cook on my Akorn 4 nights out of 7 as long as it isn't raining. I just like cooking on an open fire.
i like the bge lump too..

NCMTNHunter

This^. Close the draft and put the cap back on the smoke stack and the fire goes right out. A bag of charcoal lasts me a long time.