Best grill for a non cooker?

leroy

You smoke a Boston butt in 7-8 hours? How is the tenderness? Does it fall apart when you pull it? My experience with large cuts of meat cooked quickly is they are tough and/or rubbery (there is probably a better culinary term for "rubbery" but I don't know it!). But I have never quick cooked a Boston butt...it may be different.

My normal routine for a 7-ish lb butt is to smoke it for about 6 hours at 240 degrees, wrap it, and put it in the oven at 200 degrees for another 8 hours or so until it reaches 190-195. In all, the cook is around 14-15 hours.

Most definitely fall apart and juicy, never rubbery. I cook mine at around 275-300 wrap when they are around 160 internal, then till 195. I don't have the patience to cook one 14 hours. We cooked whole hogs in less than 14 hrs.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
You smoke a Boston butt in 7-8 hours? How is the tenderness? Does it fall apart when you pull it? My experience with large cuts of meat cooked quickly is they are tough and/or rubbery (there is probably a better culinary term for "rubbery" but I don't know it!). But I have never quick cooked a Boston butt...it may be different.

My normal routine for a 7-ish lb butt is to smoke it for about 6 hours at 240 degrees, wrap it, and put it in the oven at 200 degrees for another 8 hours or so until it reaches 190-195. In all, the cook is around 14-15 hours.
I usually smoke a butt in about 6-7 hours on the Akorn at 250-275-ish. It turns out perfectly tender, tasty, fall-aparty, and much, much more better than the ones I've smoked forever at a lower temp. And it usually finishes at about 205* internal. Myron Mixon has won several world bbq championships with butts and briskets smoked for half a day instead of all day and half the night. I will never smoke a butt for 12 hours at 225 again. It turns out a lot worse, and a lot more trouble. It's not how long you smoke it, it's the final results. I used to help my late FIL smoke whole hogs. We would put them on at about 4:30 in the morning, and they would be ready about 5 PM, and perfect. How in the world you smoke a butt for 12 hours? And why? I don't understand the longer is better thing.

Dub

First off, I'll say, I'm not big on cooking at all. I've never smoked a single piece of meat, never cooked a butt, brisket etc. About the only think I do on the grill is steaks, chicken wings,chicken breast, burgers and hot dogs. I've got a cheap gas grill that is on its last leg. I've already had to weld the bottom tray back in and reinforce it, replace all the burners and ignitors. They are all worn out now, at this point the overall grill isn't worth the cost of the replacement parts needed. I came home day recently and my wife got me an oklahoma joe pellet grill. I wasn't sure of it so I started reading some online reviews, without even opening it I took it back. The reviews were not impressive. Also, originally, I considered a pellet grill only for the purpose of smoking meats. Since I have no interest in that, I just wanted another basic gas grill. Since I started doing some online research I've found myself watching videos on hot to cook briskets, and other stuff to smoke. So, I am starting to get a little interested in that type of stuff,butt my main goal of a grill is still, basic meals that are quick and easy. I definitely don't want charcoal simply because of the fact I don't want to spend 30 minutes just to get something hot enough to cook. The gas grill I can just walk outside, turn the gas on,lite up the burners and start cooking.

So, I'm just looking for advice, for someone that isn't big on sitting on the back porch drinking beer all day babysitting a large chunk of meat, and is short on time most weekdays, what would you recommend, should I just stick with a gas grill? Is there a certain pellet grill that is quick and easy. I am a little Interested in trying to cook a brisket or something, but honestly could go either way. I work alot of hours, and have 3 kids in sports, so meals during the week and be pretty late into the evening, I just want to go out and cook.

A good & reliable gasser like a Weber Genesis is your best option. You can do what you need plus a heap more.

Simple.

Durable.

Company supports ya with replacement parts.

Easy to run.

Weber website has a heap of great recipes & techniques for you to look up regardless of which grill you get.

Pellet Grill. Set the temp and it’ll do the rest.

Agree that would sure be awesome if he wants to do overnighters without worry and etc.

A pellet & gasser would be a strong combination for him.

If you're set on getting a gas grill spend the money and get a Weber Genesis. Yes they are spendy but light up every time and last forever. If you're thinking that maybe you might want to try smoking meat start researching pellet grills. They have a timer and you don't have to babysit them and they get good results. Rec Tec like treeman mentioned is a good one.

(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

leroy

I usually smoke a butt in about 6-7 hours on the Akorn at 250-275-ish. It turns out perfectly tender, tasty, fall-aparty, and much, much more better than the ones I've smoked forever at a lower temp. And it usually finishes at about 205* internal. Myron Mixon has won several world bbq championships with butts and briskets smoked for half a day instead of all day and half the night. I will never smoke a butt for 12 hours at 225 again. It turns out a lot worse, and a lot more trouble. It's not how long you smoke it, it's the final results. I used to help my late FIL smoke whole hogs. We would put them on at about 4:30 in the morning, and they would be ready about 5 PM, and perfect. How in the world you smoke a butt for 12 hours? And why? I don't understand the longer is better thing.

:rockon:

Boondocks

Charcoal for me and I buy it all for the year when they put it on sale for the 4th. July.It will keep and if i waste some cooking burgers so what.I just like the taste better and time is no problem.If your in that big of a hurry your not grilling your burning it.

Iwannashoot

Pesident of the Fla Chaper Useless Billy club.
Here's another vote for a Weber Genesis. Just got one several months back and compared to previous grills that I've owned it is far superior. Cooks even, holds temp, all stainless parts were it matters. It really is a buy once, cry once thing.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
Pellet Grill. Set the temp and it’ll do the rest.
I'lll take my Masterbuilt Charcoal grill. Set it and forget it. Reaches 225 in 6 minutes, 700 in 13 minutes.

Pellet grills give off sawdust that cover your food and the inside of your grill. NO THANKS!

My buddies Traeger.
3E30AB0B-3C09-408D-A52B-00B2CEE2411E.png

pop pop jones

Who would had thought, it'd take 71 comments, to show a person, we can't tell him what he wants to hear.