Dog poison scare

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
Last week we returned from dining and found our daughter's pocket book open on the floor and a lot of guilty looks on the MuttPak's muzzles.
I asked her what was missing: A half pack of Orbit Spearmint gum. Knowing that some sugar free gums contain Xylitol as a sweetner, we looked up contents online. Sure enough, it contained Xylitol, known to be toxic to dogs and sometimes fatal. Since neither dog was willing to rat out the other, I took both to the ER Vet office. I was given the number of Animal Poison Control by the ASPCA, a $95 dollar service. Once I got a case number, they'd book the dogs in for treatment if necessary. After taking the information as to weight of dogs, and what was eaten, the voice on the other end did the research and told me that Orbit Spearmint gum contained a small amount of Xylitol and that even if a whole pack of the stick gum in daughter's pack was eaten by one of the dogs, no treatment was necessary or recommended. Worst case would be the runs or nausea. The expert said that we were lucky as some chewing gums contain fatal levels of Xylitol which is a fast acting toxic substance that destroys liver function. One stick of some brands can and have killed dogs. This was Abby's fourth run in with toxic substances: she once ate a half pound of fudge. A concoction of yogurt and hydrogen peroxide caused her to up chuck the fudge, launching it like a small brick of chocolate. She has also swallowed a used lidocaine back patch she found in bathroom waste paper basket. The home remedy emetic didn't work so off to the vet she went. Lidocaine can stop the heart of a dog. The drug administered by the vet caused her to up chuck it. A drop of the emetic is placed in the corner of one eye where it is quickly absorbed into the system. Earlier this year she was trembling and lethargic--she had dug up and partially eaten a planted amaryllis bulb (toxic) on the deck. She was treated and released. Here's a handy phone number to keep in your phone. There is one other subscription service, but this was the one the vet recommended: ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center Phone Number: (888) 426-4435 Gil

specialk

Yep, type 2 diabetic here but no suger free stuff in my house allowed....glad everything is ok....

smoothie

Sorry to hear but thanks for sharing Gil. It's good to know. Had to take mine to the 24 hour vet late night because he got into a bucket of roundup ready corn seed. He was in a sad state. They charged me $500 just to unlock the door and see him. He is all good now

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Thank you for the information Gil. Ms Abby it seems has a penchant for walking on the edge. Keep your eyes on her as I know you are doing.

Big7

The Oracle
My Dachshund has a habit of getting snake bit.

He's been twice to the 24 hour emergency vet for a Cotton Mouth bite.

The first time they gave him IV fluids and some other stuff. They wanted $1600.00 for antivenom and an overnight stay. The X had him the second time and I forget how much she paid.

I took him home and pumped him full of Benadryl and he was fine. Vet bill was still $400.00 but that's OK. Swole up bad for about 10 days. Got him both times in the arm pit.

The Jack Russell goes step for step with him and never has been bit.

Haven't had any poison scares so far, knock on wood.

GLS

Sorry to hear but thanks for sharing Gil. It's good to know. Had to take mine to the 24 hour vet late night because he got into a bucket of roundup ready corn seed. He was in a sad state. They charged me $500 just to unlock the door and see him. He is all good now
Keith, what was the treatment? Gil

GLS

My Dachshund has a habit of getting snake bit.

He's been twice to the 24 hour emergency vet for a Cotton Mouth bite.

The first time they gave him IV fluids and some other stuff. They wanted $1600.00 for antivenom and an overnight stay. The X had him the second time and I forget how much she paid.

I took him home and pumped him full of Benadryl and he was fine. Vet bill was still $400.00 but that's OK. Swole up bad for about 10 days. Got him both times in the arm pit.

The Jack Russell goes step for step with him and never has been bit.

Haven't had any poison scares so far, knock on wood.
Fortunately for your Mr. Short Legs, he was bitten by the less venomous copperhead. The consequences of messing with a venomous snake aren't apparent to a dog because the pain and misery is delayed. Snake breaking with an e-collar is instant and the dog gets the message quickly and learns to avoid source of pain. Dr. Bud Calderwood from Alachua, FL, would do uncaged snake breaking with live rattlesnakes and cottonmouth and at one time used a small copperhead for snake breaking. The time he brought the copperhead, dogs had difficulty detecting it from scent. He stopped conducting his clinic after the Florida dnr made tighter regulatory rules on venomous snakes regarding the type of structure necessary for their keeping. Some bozo in S. FL was careless in keeping a king cobra and it escaped causing a revamp of regulatons. A clinic is offered by another man who relies on setting out the snakes while caged. I preferred Dr. Bud's method. Gil

smoothie

Keith, what was the treatment? Gil
Water, charcoal, IV's and nerve medicine. It was awful. Can you imagine a big guy running up to your door ugly crying holding an 85 pound lab? He is the size of the gal's that were working that night.

Reactions: GLS

GLS

Keith, what we do for our four-legged family members and what they do for us in return... Hope he is going to be okay. Gil

GeorgiaGlockMan

Hope your dog is ok.

One of my dogs has had his stomach pumped 3x. 1 for the sugar free gum like OPs dog. He was at vet in limbo for 3 days and finally pulled out. Vet said he was most likely a gone-er after day 2 but he pulled it out.

Another dog, well, he eats rocks. That one, finally had to be opened up after rock #3.

Totally worth it too.

Reactions: GLS

GeorgiaGlockMan

The rock eater Petey, the pit bull and Rockey, my lil' thugg.

Attachments

• 20221023_104156.jpg
    20221023_104156.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 18
  • FullSizeR(1).jpg
    FullSizeR(1).jpg
    495.1 KB · Views: 18

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
Didn't know they had an ANIMAL Poison control.:rockon: When my Dachshund ate a bowl of Hershey's kisses, I call poison control. Told them off the bat is was for a dog. She said I wasn't the only one that's call about a pet. Told me what to do and my dog up chucked it too. Didn't know about the saga palm. We have one of those in our yard. :eek2:

capnjames

My wife had a chihuahua eat a whole green bar of rat poison peroxide brought it back up and she was fine then we had to do the same thing to our spaniel when we moved to our new house and found a stay bar

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
Friend had a lab that ate a small bucket of rat poison once, peroxide for the win.
On top of two snake bites, one a copperhead and the other a canebreak, my Brittany got into some fermented oats I had thrown out at the edge of the yard. We had no idea she had eaten it, she just started acting strange. Pretty much drunk, couldn’t sit without wobbling and making odd sounds. Short time later she vomited, outside luckily, and we figured out the problem. No vet bill for that one. Copper head was just steroids and antibiotics, I won’t discuss the canebreak bill.

capnjames

Friend had a lab that ate a small bucket of rat poison once, peroxide for the win.
On top of two snake bites, one a copperhead and the other a canebreak, my Brittany got into some fermented oats I had thrown out at the edge of the yard. We had no idea she had eaten it, she just started acting strange. Pretty much drunk, couldn’t sit without wobbling and making odd sounds. Short time later she vomited, outside luckily, and we figured out the problem. No vet bill for that one. Copper head was just steroids and antibiotics, I won’t discuss the canebreak bill.
Had a dog eat a special made brownie that was a gift when I was younger he was alright after a couple hour nap