Dog question

Barfolomew

My neighbor has two male pitbulls (about 2 years old) who run the chain link fence line between our yards whenever anyone or my dog is in my backyard. The dogs bite at the fence and jump up and down at the fence as well when excited. For the most part my dog ignores them, but whenever they meet at the fence there are lots of teeth and barking between the sides. My neighbor is aware of their behavior because he recalls them when he hears the commotion and leaves them gated on deck of his house when he is not at home. The dogs have not jumped the fence yet, but seem to be getting fairly close and I wouldn't be surprised if they made it across any day now.

I'll give the neighbor one chance should the dogs jump the fence and nothing really happens. He can come get his dog and will hopefully take action. Should a second event occur, I'll call animal control and go down that route assuming no harm to family or pets. From what I can tell the law is pretty cut and dry about defending yourself or another human from an attacking dog; but it seems pretty ambiguous about dealing with a foreign dog attacking your dog on your property. Does anyone know how the law lines up for dealing with aggressive dogs attacking your dog on your property in Cobb county? My concern is letting my dog out and having the neighbors dogs jump the fence and then having to deal with the situation mid-dog fight.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
The laws concerning how you may deal with another person's dog are as murkey as the ones concerning how you may deal with another person. Even if you see yourself completely justified in taking some action you open yourself up to possible criminal and / or civil action. Once a judge and jury are involved, anything can happen and even if nothing happens it will be expensive.

I think I could find a Federal case against a person who damaged a bear that was attacking his or her dog. The theory was that the dog was aggravating the bear. If your dog joins the neighbor's dogs at the mutual fence they are all aggravating one another. You might have something that will escalate into mutual combat at or on either side of the fence.

I would recommend that you have a conversation with your neighbor about your concerns. It might be possible for the two of you through cooperative training to desensitize these dogs to one another. They might even become best buds and share toys through the fence.

Hillbilly stalker

I would suggest you do something pro active. If them 2 pits jump the fence or dig under it, at the very least call animal control and document who you talked too and what they said. A lot of homeowners insurance consider them a dangerous breed and require special confinement. Some will cancel your insurance when they find out you have them. A taped or typed conversation with your neighbor might be in order. You are very likely to be injured pulling 2 pits off your dog if you try. A lot of people get hurt trying to play Dog whisper with someone else's pit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Who owns the fence?

Reactions: Dub

westcobbdog

Wooden privacy fence higher than they can jump, I would go 6ft, too. I would only fence the sides of your yard the aggressive dog(s) are on. This might quite things down, too.

BeerThirty

This is one of those situations where I would do whatever is necessary to protect my dogs, regardless of what the law says. Put up a security camera so when the pit bull jumps the fence and attacks your dog, you can then justify your following actions.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
What you are recommending is retaliation, not the protection that you claimed in the first sentence.

GeorgiaBob

An aggressive dog on your property is an identifiable and real threat to YOU as well as your dog. Do not assume that, because the dogs are known to you as "the neighbor's dogs," the animals are any less of a threat should they gain access to your property. If the dogs get on your property and attack your dog, the only safe assumption is that the dogs will attack you next. Take care that they do not bite you and get your dog to the vet as soon as possible. Worry about what the police, or the neighbor, will think afterwards.

That said. You should talk to your neighbor about his animals and your concern. Be gracious and polite. If you believe that it is likely those dogs will get onto your property, take steps to protect yourself, your pet, and your home. Two steps I would take, are calling the police to report your concern (a record that will protect you), and (as others have suggested) build a 6' wood privacy fence between your yard and the aggressive dogs. The fence will not stop the dogs from running the fence line and barking, but it will protect your dog, and provide proof you were concerned, should those dogs attack someone at a later date.

Last edited by a moderator:

madsam

videotape /leo/certified letter explaining situation... I f the pit manages to get

over the fence he will not stop fighting until one of them are xx. And note ,as

you know you will probably be loosing a neighbor. Shame folks aren't more

attentive to the types of breed they try to make pets out of. Also, if you have

minors living at the residence ,this will compound your neighbors

responsibilty on containing his dogs. Google Dog laws in GA.

Last edited:

NOYDB

BANNED
Dogs are going to behave like dogs. There are no laws that have any affect on dogs. They have laws for their owners. Keep in mind dogs can figure out how to get around the end of a fence.

DannyW

You don't mention the breed/size of your dog but if two pit bulls jump him, there may not be a second time unless you happen to be home and outside when the attack occurs.

I agree with others...take preemptive action and talk with your neighbor. It will be an awkward conversation, especially if you generally like your neighbor other than his dogs, but from your description it's gotta be done. Be polite, and remember, people like their pit bulls just as much as you like your Border Collie and will defend them as such.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
I would tell that neighbor he had better be 100% sure those dogs don't get across that fence. He had better be willing to bet his life on it. Because he is.

Big7

The Oracle
Contact EVERYONE you can that has LEO contact.
REPORT REPORT REPORT

An electric wire is relatively cheap and they will work on the largest of dogs. That will be best short term fix. Plus, you can add strands as time and funds become available.

That would be my two first actions. Especially making your neighbor aware that you have filed complaints.
Use certified or registered mail. Even though you have face to face "talks". When he signs for the letter, you have proof you have made the owner aware.

All this is to say: Do what is necessary to protect your family first and your dog second, property third.

hopper

You will need proof of the annoyance or they wont do much. Video or witnesses other than household.