Not open for further replies.

GA DAWG

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

Former deputy found guilty: Man gets probation for killing coon dog

By ASHLEY COX
The Times
CLEVELAND
www.gainesvilletimes.com

After nearly two hours of deliberation, a White County jury found a former Gwinnett County Sheriff's sergeant guilty of aggravated cruelty to animals in connection with the Christmas Eve 2004 shooting of a coon hound belonging to his mother's neighbor.

Michael Mustachio maliciously and knowingly shot and killed the dog, named Kate, on his mother's Wauka Ridge Road property during a family gathering, the jury ruled Tuesday evening. Mustachio was sentenced to five years probation, 60 days of community service in an animal shelter and could be fined up to $15,000.

He also must undergo anger management classes during his probationary period, Judge David Barrett ruled.

White County Assistant District Attorney Kerry Banister, representing the state, had requested Mustachio receive five years in prison with a period served in a probation detention center, 30 days of community service and a fine.

Dan Summer, Mustachio's defense attorney, insisted that his client didn't set out to do anything wrong the night the dog was shot.

"He made a bad choice," Summer said. "I would ask you have mercy on this man."

Summer asked that Barrett consider giving Mustachio a lighter sentence since it was his first offence, which Barrett denied.

On the night in question, Stanley Barnes, along with friends Don Maney and Brent Thomas, had been out hunting with two female treeing Walkers when they heard shots fired 10 to 20 minutes later.

Maney's dog, Lady, was barking at something in a tree nearby, but Barnes couldn't find Kate when he tried to use a tracking device attached to her collar.

The dog was later found dead in the back of Mustachio's truck under a bunch of trash bags. Her tracking collar, as well as its antenna, had been cut off.

During the trial, several members of Mustachio's family gave their accounts of what happened that Christmas Eve.

Helen King, Mustachio's aunt, said the family was exchanging gifts when they heard growling, snarling and yelping. They assumed it was wild animals.

"It was scary," she said, adding that the noise sounded like it was right on the front porch.

Mustachio's father, Ted, a retired Gwinnett County firefighter, said his son fired shots in order to scare the animals away.

"We weren't trying to kill anything," he said.

When the three hunters wouldn't leave the Mustachios' property, Ted Mustachio suggested to his son that they might have hit a dog.

After walking about 45 yards up the mountain from the house, Ted Mustachio said they saw a dog laying with its head on its paws.

"My emotion was, 'the poor animal,'" he said.

He picked the dog up and carried it to the house, where Mustachio cut off its collar and he cut off the antenna.

When Banister asked why he cut the collar, he replied, "We were afraid."

Officials with the White County Sheriff's Office were called to the Mustachios' property twice that night within a period of about 30 minutes.

Officer Jarrett Fry, who came to the property both times, said there was nothing to indicate that Mustachio knew a dog had been shot.

Both Ted and June Mustachio said they weren't aware an animal had been struck before Kate was found. They also didn't see any visible signs of trauma on the dog.

Barnes had an autopsy performed on Kate at the University of Georgia's college of veterinary medicine.

Elizabeth Howerth, head of the college's pathology department, said based on the report that the dog had been shot through the neck. The bullet broke several bones and caused the lungs to hemorrhage.

She said other than the gunshot wound, there was no other sign that the dog had been maimed or tortured in any way.

In her closing arguments, Banister said that Mustachio knowingly and maliciously killed the dog because he tried to cover it up, and that a dog doesn't have to be strung up to be maliciously killed.

"It went looking for a coon and this is what it got in return," she said.

In his closing statement, Summer told the jury that doing something maliciously means mean-spirited, done with a black heart.

"This is not maliciousness, folks," he said, adding that there was no indication anyone knew the dog had been hit.

Just before Mustachio's sentencing, Barrett said that when someone straps on a .40-caliber pistol, they carry with them a certain amount of responsibility.

At this point, Barrett told Mustachio, "Law enforcement's not a career you need to be in."

thomas gose

coon dog shot.

that is hard to hear! if i would have found one of my dogs in the back of somebodys truck those police officers would have only made one trip, and i probably would have had to leave with them. its hard to hear of a man loosing a dog to a car let alone having a dog give its all for you hunting and be shot by some jerk with no morals or respect. they should have give him jail time not probation.:banginghe

Rich Kaminski

I'm very surprised that we do not hear of a lot more dogs being shot. ALMOST every hunting club I have belonged to over the last 24 years here in Georgia - I always hear the club members tell the new members to shoot any dog they see on the property because they do not want the dogs running the deer.
I on the other hand have always had dogs and would never shoot one.

thomas gose

it is illegal to shoot a dog in the state of Ga. and people need to stop assuming that just because they see an unfamiliar dog in the woods its running deer and more than likely if its a hound there is somebody out there looking for their coon dog from the night before. hope i dont get shot for being on someones property looking for a pup and a hunter mistake me for running deer.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
The blanket statement , "it is illegal to shoot a dog in the state of GA" is not true.

Heck, the blanket statement, it is illegal to shoot people in the state of Ga" is not true either.

Under the right circumstances both acts would not only legal, they would be advisable and to commendable.

:stir::stir::stir:

GA DAWG

The blanket statement , "it is illegal to shoot a dog in the state of GA" is not true.

Heck, the blanket statement, it is illegal to shoot people in the state of Ga" is not true either.

Under the right circumstances both acts would not only legal, they would be advisable and to commendable.

True BUT NOT IN THE CASE POSTED ABOVE IT AINT:bounce:

thomas gose

your last name mustachio? sorry for your loss!:stir:

carabrook

Gone But Not Forgotten
I'm glad to hear that the court did whats right. There is no excuse for any of this and especially when you start removing collars knowing full well that someone is looking for their dog. Hope this guy is never paid to carry a gun again in his lifetime.

GA DAWG

We now have a law on the books about removing collars...This all happened before it was passed so it probably didnt come into play..

daisy102998

What is y'all's opinion about dogs that kill calves and goats? Do you have a right to shoot them to protect your property?
Just wondering.

Ta-ton-ka chips

GONetwork Member
I'm glad to hear that the court did whats right. There is no excuse for any of this and especially when you start removing collars knowing full well that someone is looking for their dog. Hope this guy is never paid to carry a gun again in his lifetime.

X2
Sad story

pbyles

HERE WE GO AGAIN.....

Wanna get my piece in on this one since I didnt get the chance to on the last one....(i opt'ed out early, then it was too late)

THERE ARE LAWS/provisions to the law regarding dogs, guns, and hunting.....

DNR knows it.....it is a very GRAY area.....

I've had issues with coon dogs, deer dogs, rabbit dogs.....

Deer hunting with dogs is NOT ILLEGAL....Clemson (i believe) done a study about coon dogs hurting the deer hunting....THEY FOUND THAT DOGS DID NOT INTERRUPT DEER....its obvious that they would run if they were hunting deer, but I have had coon dogs run right past a deer.....HECK I GOT ONE NOW that will run FROM a DEER....(thank u tri tronics).....but the deer always return...

PKC does a lot of work helping hunters that have lost their hounds get justice.....and they do get justice in most cases....:smash:

just like the case mentioned above.....if it was the right thing to do that man wouldnt have been found guilty....(and he was a law enforcement officer....obviously one of the ones that "thought he knew the law")......

I hunt every thing and every way I possibly can....

I've heard all the sayings.....

"dog hunting is murder", "dog hunting aint hunting", etc....

"still hunters sit in a tree and let the deer come to them unsuspecting", "shooting a deer that doesnt even know you are there isnt fair".....

PEOPLE....hunting is hunting....I do it for food and sport-

Still hunting is work, considering you plant, tend, sit, drive, etc.....

Dog hunting is work, you feed dogs, train dogs, drive, plant, tend, Etc...

Pay a lease either way-

ANYBODY that has never waited heart thumping out of your head, in the wind trying to figure out how close the dogs are and judge how close they are on the deer, which side of you the deer is going to jump out, how far he will be from you, only to have it jump out in front of you, you have to judge what it is, if you can shoot, aim, shoot, all in the time it takes a deer running wide open to cross a 10-20' clearing of the stand......thats all IF you dont have to run 50 yards down the path to get in a better position....so add being out of breath to all of the above......and to add to that...you hear the biggest deer you ever heard coming thru the woods strait to you...you wait, and wait, there aint no dogs on it, he's slipping....you aim...and -----ITS A DANG ARMADILLO!

then be out ALL NIGHT looking for your hard headed dogs...dogs that have been waiting all year just like you to get out of that pen and do what they LOVE-

TELL ME THATS NOT WORK....u aint been there!!!

I can say too....it sure is a pain to get up early, drive to a stand, walk thru the woods, climb a tree, try to stay awake, try not to freeze.....to wait...and wait...and wait....for hours or days on end...to maybe see a deer or maybe see a hundred....then not to get a good shot, or miss, or have him run off and you have to walk down track, drag, etc....its a job too....

THEY ARE HOWEVER BOTH HUNTING.....they are both a sport and hopefully they are both for food (if not u then somebody).....

I can understand having to fight PETA....I can understand having to fight TREE HUGGERS....I can even understand having to fight with IDGITS that dont know better....

BUT I CANNOT UNDERSTAND....having to fight with my very own fellow hunters.....

I have had issues with DNR....(a land owner that leased his land to HIGH PAYING northerner for still hunting)....he caught my coon dog that had been out all night.....
This was his second incident- (first time he shot the dog and threw it in a pond, dog was found by the tracking collar)....

He put my dog in his kennel...took her collars off and took them home with him...couldnt figure out how to turn them off....(my coon dog collars say "COON DOG")

I found him and my dog, and I called DNR...he had already called them but nobody informed or even tried to contact me...they were going to say that they couldnt find me and put my dog down after so many days...

I went over that officers head, got my dog, my collars and needless to say have not had another problem with that man....

REGARDLESS of what my dog runs, i invest a lot of time, money, and love into all of them....AND NOBODY will get away with doing them harm....fellow hunter or not...

it makes me sick to know that my grand kids will probably not be able to hunt in this state, b/c we cant stick together long enough to keep our rightsB]:banginghe

JuliaH

I don't hunt at all, except for hunt testing with my trusty little pop gun (starter pistol...lol) but what you have said makes a lot of sense!! But, I am not a tree hugger either...lol. I am simply not good with firearms and might shoot my foot off, or something equally as dumb, so I leave that to folks better than me :)

It's a "can't see the forest for the trees" problem, and in this country we are giving up rights more than we know. I think it is a crying shame that a man shot that dog. I am glad he got punished, but folks... the most important sentence in this entire interesting long post is the LAST SENTENCE!

HERE WE GO AGAIN.....

Wanna get my piece in on this one since I didnt get the chance to on the last one....(i opt'ed out early, then it was too late)

THERE ARE LAWS/provisions to the law regarding dogs, guns, and hunting.....

DNR knows it.....it is a very GRAY area.....

I've had issues with coon dogs, deer dogs, rabbit dogs.....

Deer hunting with dogs is NOT ILLEGAL....Clemson (i believe) done a study about coon dogs hurting the deer hunting....THEY FOUND THAT DOGS DID NOT INTERRUPT DEER....its obvious that they would run if they were hunting deer, but I have had coon dogs run right past a deer.....HECK I GOT ONE NOW that will run FROM a DEER....(thank u tri tronics).....but the deer always return...

PKC does a lot of work helping hunters that have lost their hounds get justice.....and they do get justice in most cases....:smash:

just like the case mentioned above.....if it was the right thing to do that man wouldnt have been found guilty....(and he was a law enforcement officer....obviously one of the ones that "thought he knew the law")......

I hunt every thing and every way I possibly can....

I've heard all the sayings.....

"dog hunting is murder", "dog hunting aint hunting", etc....

"still hunters sit in a tree and let the deer come to them unsuspecting", "shooting a deer that doesnt even know you are there isnt fair".....

PEOPLE....hunting is hunting....I do it for food and sport-

Still hunting is work, considering you plant, tend, sit, drive, etc.....

Dog hunting is work, you feed dogs, train dogs, drive, plant, tend, Etc...

Pay a lease either way-

ANYBODY that has never waited heart thumping out of your head, in the wind trying to figure out how close the dogs are and judge how close they are on the deer, which side of you the deer is going to jump out, how far he will be from you, only to have it jump out in front of you, you have to judge what it is, if you can shoot, aim, shoot, all in the time it takes a deer running wide open to cross a 10-20' clearing of the stand......thats all IF you dont have to run 50 yards down the path to get in a better position....so add being out of breath to all of the above......and to add to that...you hear the biggest deer you ever heard coming thru the woods strait to you...you wait, and wait, there aint no dogs on it, he's slipping....you aim...and -----ITS A DANG ARMADILLO!

then be out ALL NIGHT looking for your hard headed dogs...dogs that have been waiting all year just like you to get out of that pen and do what they LOVE-

TELL ME THATS NOT WORK....u aint been there!!!

I can say too....it sure is a pain to get up early, drive to a stand, walk thru the woods, climb a tree, try to stay awake, try not to freeze.....to wait...and wait...and wait....for hours or days on end...to maybe see a deer or maybe see a hundred....then not to get a good shot, or miss, or have him run off and you have to walk down track, drag, etc....its a job too....

THEY ARE HOWEVER BOTH HUNTING.....they are both a sport and hopefully they are both for food (if not u then somebody).....

I can understand having to fight PETA....I can understand having to fight TREE HUGGERS....I can even understand having to fight with IDGITS that dont know better....

BUT I CANNOT UNDERSTAND....having to fight with my very own fellow hunters.....

I have had issues with DNR....(a land owner that leased his land to HIGH PAYING northerner for still hunting)....he caught my coon dog that had been out all night.....
This was his second incident- (first time he shot the dog and threw it in a pond, dog was found by the tracking collar)....

He put my dog in his kennel...took her collars off and took them home with him...couldnt figure out how to turn them off....(my coon dog collars say "COON DOG")

I found him and my dog, and I called DNR...he had already called them but nobody informed or even tried to contact me...they were going to say that they couldnt find me and put my dog down after so many days...

I went over that officers head, got my dog, my collars and needless to say have not had another problem with that man....

REGARDLESS of what my dog runs, i invest a lot of time, money, and love into all of them....AND NOBODY will get away with doing them harm....fellow hunter or not...

it makes me sick to know that my grand kids will probably not be able to hunt in this state, b/c we cant stick together long enough to keep our rights:banginghe

Thajonesboyz

funny thing

one of my employees called in late this mourning. Had to tend to some dead goats. seems another Dog got into his goat pen and killed a nanny and 1 of her babies, the other baby was not dead. the dog or Dogs held them around the neck till death and just left them where they lay, didn't eat any of it. I own hunting dogs, and yard dogs. Most of us has morals, we try to raise our children with morals and good ethics. some don't. Most of us has been on the farm or in the woods and seen the old crossed colly,lab,bulldog,spaniel looking mut, that chaces the cows, growls at you when you get to close, looks at you as if to chalenge you kind of mut. you know the house that owns it. go nock on the door and ask them to try to contain it just to get a " go shuv it". Most of us try to do the right thing, but unfortunately the "1 bad apple in the basket so throw them all out" phrase has taken effect on our country. No I don't think the guy should have shot the hound. but there are instances where it is necessary, and i don't need a LAWYER trying to make it all bad. What About stray cats. they are everywhere! they reproduce more than Rats.

pbyles

I agree about the vicious ones that chase the livestock....Heaven help the dog that chases my horses...

I do use discrestion (sp) before I point and shoot....also like to use rat/bird shot first before doing real damage....it usually solves the problem....

Would like to take them all to the pound....let them deal with it...unfortunately that is not usually the case....

I would not put out anything for them to eat that would kill them....(my hunting dog got into antifreeze one night).....

But if i can catch them and they are not mean....just chasin my livestock I would do the best I could with them.....

aint never had the heart to look a dog in the eye and shoot it...unless it was wild and a threat to me or my kids or my animals-

cats are the same....would usually catch them in a live trap....give them to farmers...they like them in their barns....or take them WAY off and drop them, or take them to pound...

Luke0927

I have dogs and love dogs i do not feel this was a justified killing guy got what he deserved. if a wild dog is on the property ( you can tell a wild dog from a pet) its the same as a coyote it should be shot or even an aggressive pet.

GA DAWG

Stray killers and the coonhound listed above have nothing to do with each other..

No one has pointed out the obvious, but not only will this gentleman never work in law enforcement again, he will never be able to legally possess a firearm again.

Pretty strong medicine if you ask me for the pleasure of shooting a dog to prove a point.

sbrown

Stray killers and the coonhound listed above have nothing to do with each other..

Good point. I wouldn't want someone to shoot any of my dogs but I also try and respect other peoples property,personal or hunting. I've had hunts ruined where house dogs came thru trailing a deer before that had just passed under me. I never thought of shooting the dogs, these I could tell were house pets and to well fed and a few hundred more yards would likely learn what it meant to be a good in shape deer hound,so I let them be, no real harm done to me. Some people always see things there way though and there is no reasoning with them. I remember one time a guys coonhound shows up at my house, bad shape, looks like a possible broke leg, another damaged leg, badly undernourished and had severe mange. He had a collar on so I called the guy like 3 times over the next week to come get his dog, I didn't want my dogs catching anything plus he was laying on my porch all the time not to mention I thought he needed medical attention. Turns out the guy lived less than 2 miles from me and was just to lazy to come get his dog. So that really made me mad, I came in and grabbed a paintball gun from the kid next door and tried to run the dog off and then left for town. After I left the guy turns up and sees the paint on his dog and chews this little kid out. Now I am really :mad: I see him at the farmers house across the road and off I go, the old farmer knows me and has a big smile on his face in anticipation of what he hopes he will get to see I guess as I pull up :whip: I tore into him and he told me I just did't understand how it was with hunting dogs and all kinds of excuses, I asked him did he not see my pen full of beagles, and when somebody calls me to come get my dogs I did. Well, next thing I know the cops show up at my house and ask me what happen, saying that I should't have shot the dog with the paintball gun, that he could have said that is dog was worth $1000 if he wanted to or whatever amount and I might have been liable.
I said fine, my chickens that he was chasing and causing harm to in my pasture and yard are my PRIZE CHICKENS and they are worth $500 each to me. That was the end of it.
Sorry for the long post, but I agree we need to work together as hunters and just use some common sense .

Status
Not open for further replies.