Dog trainers

brandonsc

I just got a 8 week old black lab. Looking for recommendations on a trainer for him. He is very smart and already obeying basic commands. He’s by far the smartest dog I’ve owned. A reputable trainer in Georgia would be awesome but I’d like to stay with in 6-8 hours of north Ga for a really good trainer.

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
Blaine Tarnecki @ Hudson River Retrievers
Agreed Blaine is hard to beat.... But dad gum how do y'all not want to spend the time with a dog to get him or her to at least be a great gun dog and run him or her in hrch /sh/mh type of hunt tests? It's not that hard. It's a commitment. But unless you're chasing a FC title and have money to burn......just put in the time and do it yourself.

brandonsc

Agreed Blaine is hard to beat.... But dad gum how do y'all not want to spend the time with a dog to get him or her to at least be a great gun dog and run him or her in hrch /sh/mh type of hunt tests? It's not that hard. It's a commitment. But unless you're chasing a FC title and have money to burn......just put in the time and do it yourself.
I wish I had the time and knowledge to train him, but I don’t. I want him to reach his full potential. That means me paying for a trainer.

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
I wish I had the time and knowledge to train him, but I don’t. I want him to reach his full potential. That means me paying for a trainer.
I will say this..... Spend as much time watching, learning, helping, and handling with your dog and trainer as time allows. The people who take dogs and drop them off for 7 months and expect them to work for them always end up mad at the trainer and looking like a fool when trying to run their dog.

brandonsc

I will say this..... Spend as much time watching, learning, helping, and handling with your dog and trainer as time allows. The people who take dogs and drop them off for 7 months and expect them to work for them always end up mad at the trainer and looking like a fool when trying to run their dog.
I’ve saw that too. I know I have to work with him and hoping to find a trainer that will work with both me and him at the same time on weekends. That way he’s used to me working him

ghadarits

I’ve seen this first hand more than once.

ucfireman

Question.
Will a dog listen (follow commands) to someone else other than the one that trains them?
I have only had pets and I know they get attached to their owners (family) and even then there are some in the house they will listen to better than others.
Seems to me if you take a small puppy and give it to a trainer that spends a few hours every day with them, they will soon associate them as their owner. Then be lost and have to relearn the real owner when they get home.
And if those commands are not exactly the same then its like starting over.