Question Around Birdiness of Pup

Hey y'all,

Sorry in advance for the long post but here goes...

Got my boy in training right before Christmas (thanks for all the recommendations) and have been getting regular updates from the trainer.

Last update my trainer said my pup (10 month old male GWP) has been doing excellent on obedience (we worked with him quite a bit on this from a young age so I wasnt surprised there) but hasn't been showing much drive toward the birds. He said he'll chase them for a bit and then go off into lala land doing his own thing.

I was/am a little shocked because this is the same dog that stalks birds in the yard, chases squirrels and chipmunks wherever we go, constantly chases and harasses our housecat to no end, and has to be pulled off roadkill we walk by during our daily stroll around the neighborhood. In fact, I had him evaluated by another trainer at 6 months old and this trainer (who does mainly field trials and is very well respected here in GA) felt the dog was very birdy.

Anyway my question for y'all that have sent your upland pups off for gun dog training is, did you find it takes them a little while to adjust to their new temporary home with regard to getting that drive back? Were all my indications prior to sending him off false alarms?

I know it's early in his training process (2 weeks in) but my biggest fear is we end up with a dud. This little guy has way too much energy not to be in the field. That and no way my boss (wife) would let me re-home him at this point as she's grown quite attached.

Thanks for your input fellas!

Rebel's Dad

Some dogs figure out the planted bird/pigeon thing real quick, and get bored with it. The dog I have now was somewhat that way on training birds, but he developed quickly into an excellent wild bird dog with plenty of drive and bird-handling sense.

It sounds like the pup has a lot of prey drive--most GWP's do, sometimes to a fault. The fact that he loses interest in training birds probably has more to do with the pen-raised birds and the situation than with lack of drive in the dog's part. When the training is over get him in a less contrived situation and kill some birds for him. You'll probably like what you see.

It's way, way too early to be worried.

jakebuddy

I have 1 yr old GWP female at the trainer now I hope she turns out good, but I’ve seen some dogs turn 2-3 yrs old before they put it all together. Be patient and enjoy the process

I appreciate the feedback guys. The pup is definitely a smart one and does have a very independent nature so the theory of him figuring out that it's not much of a challenge chasing a pen raised pigeon makes some sense. I was half expecting (upon encouragement) for him to try and maul the thing to death given the kind of behavior he displays at home.

However, we never have discouraged him from chasing fur in the backyard or stalking wild junk birds given hew just a pup. But we do obviously give him the "leave it" command when bothering the house cat which he obeys 2 out of 3 times. Never harsh on him with that give I didn't wanna discourage drive.

First bird dog and we've put a lot into him so far (time and money) so you can probably understand my being a little anxious. It's great to hear some reassurance from the veterans though. Big reason I love this community.

Happy New Year by the way!

Rebel's Dad

I always get a little envious when I hear somebody talk about their first dog. You learn from every dog you have, but the first one is a wonderful new journey--you learn so much from the dog, more than you could ever teach it. It's like opening a new door every day.

Relax and enjoy the ride, and get that dog as much exposure to birds and as much field time as you possibly can.

Good luck.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
The light will go on one day and he will be fine. Some dogs start early and some may take a couple of years. Ground time and live birds is what makes a dog.