Don Carter State Park

fishingguy61

How has the crappie bite at Don Carter been from the fishing dock been the past couple of weeks? Was there a couple weeks ago but the water was stained and didn't get a nibble.

I haven't heard anything, but I'd venture to guess that this week's rain will maintain the stained water for little while longer. Might do well pulling some chartreuse hair jigs or crappie jigs in from the dock or the bank near the mouth of the cove. I hear the crappie are anywhere from 4' - 12' deep now.

littlejon

The stain water won't hurt the bite. For me, the crappie bite was slow a couple weeks ago but turned on this week. Full moon coming soon. Get some bobby garland jigs in 2 inch. Black and chartreuse and electric chicken. I also like bleeding shad IF its sunny. If really muddy they will be spread out and could even be in open water

drhunter1

Well I took it out and she ran like a top. I didn’t fish for crappie though which was a mistake. I fished for bass and didn’t do any good, but at least I got to run it and get to know it. I would still be out there but the wind picked up and the sun got brutal. Had a heck of a time getting it trailered but probably because of me having to get comfortable with it and the wind didn’t help.

A good day though. It was fun.

fishingguy61

The stain water won't hurt the bite. For me, the crappie bite was slow a couple weeks ago but turned on this week. Full moon coming soon. Get some bobby garland jigs in 2 inch. Black and chartreuse and electric chicken. I also like bleeding shad IF its sunny. If really muddy they will be spread out and could even be in open water
I had always heard that crappie (and other fish) can't see as well in stained water so they won't bit if they can't see the bait. Not true?

bighunter23

I had always heard that crappie (and other fish) can't see as well in stained water so they won't bit if they can't see the bait. Not true?
I don’t find that to be true, I look for stained water. I feel as if they can’t pick my bait apart as much when the water is stained. I always said the muddier the better but there is a point the water is too muddy in my opinion.

littlejon

I have never had trouble catching crappie in stained water. In fact, I prefer it and sometimes better then clear. They won't be as tight to cover and are roaming more in open water because they feel the stained water is some cover, I might go with a curly tail, brighter colors, or a jig with some sparkle to it. Like the bleeding shad by BG. Also, will add some scent to the jig.