Standing Boy / Don Carter

Looks like these are an option for the State Park Hunts this year.

Anyone have any insight on these state park they would be willing to share via PM?

Interested to hear if they have any good bucks on them or if these are just management hunts to remove does.

From what I see about Standing Boy is that they are just looking to spread out the hunting pressure as opposed to having it open to archery for the pretty much the whole season.

Don Carter will be the first hunt they have ever had there, and it will be a firearm hunt from the looks of things.

Last edited:

sportsman94

I asked the same in the general forum. Im putting all my points towards don carter. Been waiting awhile for a new one to come open so hate to be waiting a long time again

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I asked the same in the general forum. Im putting all my points towards don carter. Been waiting awhile for a new one to come open so hate to be waiting a long time again
I don’t think you’ll be disappointed . I talked to a guy today that grew up a few miles from it and still hurts pretty close to it . He had good things to say about it and the area. He also has a lot of points and put in for it .

Big7

The Oracle
I've only shot Dove 3 times on public land and don't know anything about deer hunting them.
I'm going to need to start this year as the family farm has been sold and I'm not paying 2+ grand to get into a club or lease.

What are y'all talking about "points"?
Do they draw from a lottery or something?

sportsman94

You can apply for quota hunts. These are hunts that have a limited number of spots per hunt. Every year you put in and don’t get drawn you get a priority point. The more points you wager at the time of application the more likely you are to draw over someone with less points.
I've only shot Dove 3 times on public land and don't know anything about deer hunting them.
I'm going to need to start this year as the family farm has been sold and I'm not paying 2+ grand to get into a club or lease.

cowhornedspike

You can apply for quota hunts. These are hunts that have a limited number of spots per hunt. Every year you put in and don’t get drawn you get a priority point. The more points you wager at the time of application the more likely you are to draw over someone with less points.

And lots of folks have lots of points so don't expect to get drawn for any good hunts any time soon. Will take years to "catch up" to those of us who have been saving up points for many years.

Taco4x4

Just curious where you saw Standing Boy having a quota deer hunt. I looked and all I see is the archery only all season like it has always been. With all the bike trails I can't see them letting anyone hunt deer with a firearm there.

cowhornedspike

34096​
Standing Boy State Park, 1st Hunt, Either Sex, Archery
20​
10/06/2023 - 10/08/2023
34097​
Standing Boy State Park, 2nd Hunt, Either Sex, Archery
20​
11/03/2023 - 11/05/2023
34098​
Standing Boy State Park, 3rd Hunt, Either Sex, Archery
20​
11/10/2023 - 11/12/2023
34099​
Standing Boy State Park, 4th Hunt, Either Sex, Archery
20​
12/01/2023 - 12/03/2023

Taco4x4

This doesn't surprise me. I knew the deer hunting days there were about over. This is there way to get rid of us. Spandex wins over Camo. Some great memories there. Time to move on.

Thanks for this Thread. I would have been there opening day to sign in and wondered why the gate was locked. Now I have time to check out a few other public places I have been wondering about. Appreciate it.

Taco4x4

I was upset about Standing Boy going quota when I first saw this but after thinking about it a couple days it is a good thing. Well a good thing for the bucks that live there. I have been huntin that place for over ten years and every year I find at least one but sometimes two or three nice bucks that have been shot and not recovered. I let bucks walk that need another year or two only to be killed or wounded by someone else. Public is what it is.

With this new quota there will be little to no hunting pressure and a lot of these bucks will make it to maturity. In a few years they should be able to tolerate the bikers as not a threat and move more during the daylight hours. As far as this year goes if your meat huntin sign up for the quota but if your looking for mature bucks I would give it a couple years to evolve without the woods being filled with strings and sticks.

With that being said I wouldn't be surprised if next year they stopped us from hunting there at all.

brunofishing

I was upset about Standing Boy going quota when I first saw this but after thinking about it a couple days it is a good thing. Well a good thing for the bucks that live there. I have been huntin that place for over ten years and every year I find at least one but sometimes two or three nice bucks that have been shot and not recovered. I let bucks walk that need another year or two only to be killed or wounded by someone else. Public is what it is.

With this new quota there will be little to no hunting pressure and a lot of these bucks will make it to maturity. In a few years they should be able to tolerate the bikers as not a threat and move more during the daylight hours. As far as this year goes if your meat huntin sign up for the quota but if your looking for mature bucks I would give it a couple years to evolve without the woods being filled with strings and sticks.

With that being said I wouldn't be surprised if next year they stopped us from hunting there at all.
When the city of Columbus takes it over it will go down hill fast, they cant even take care of what they have now, just look at Oliver Marina.

t.woods035

Thats good to know. I didnt realize that was a sign in, thought it was new hunting. it may not be worth my 6 points.

brandonsc

Has anyone heard about how many points will draw the first hunt here? I know red top
Usually takes 6 points. Im guessing more than that for this first hunt