Dress code at church?

SBG

Senior Member
7401R said:
It had not been stated until Phil posted his last reply.

7
I guess that was the first time the buzzword you were looking for was used. I guess we'll have to check our talking points next time.:cool: :)
 

GeauxLSU

Senior Member
leroy said:
So if its not a problem within your Church and you have a clear heart what everyone else thinks is irrelevant.
Won't argue that, only ask, was it also "not a problem" in your church 20 years ago? 40 years ago? If it was, what has changed?
 

GeauxLSU

Senior Member
toridak said:
Thank you.
My earthly father is not alive so he can't answer for himself either. When I go to his grave site I bow my head and say a prayer for him and some might say also to him. I'm quiet and respectful. I wouldn't go to my father's grave site dressed or acting disrespectfully nor would any of his other children. Would my father care? I don't know, I can't ask him. In any case, he certainly isn't demanding it today. It's in my heart out of my love and respect for him to do that though. I guess I'm just funny that way. It's the way my father (pick one) raised me.
 
7

7401R

Guest
billyjames said:
I'm not sure I follow - Who is WE? You and I? The individual? You and someone else? The church officials? I don't think I'm following who "WE" is...
I was thinking in terms of the church. Hopefully our personal standard will be the same as that of the church,and they will both be reverent.
 
Last edited:
GeauxLSU said:
My earthly father is not alive so he can't answer for himself either. When I go to his grave site I bow my head and say a prayer for him and some might say also to him. I'm quiet and respectful. I wouldn't go to my father's grave site dressed or acting disrespectfully nor would any of his other children. Would my father care? I don't know, I can't ask him. In any case, he certainly isn't demanding it today. It's in my heart out of my love and respect for him to do that though. I guess I'm just funny that way. It's the way my father (pick one) raised me.
I agree 100% Phil and I do not think dress shorts dispect God or your father. That is my opinion. We all know what opinions are like though!::ke: Some say mine stinks worse than others.:bounce:
 

Branchminnow

GONetwork Senator Area 51
toridak said:
I Some say mine stinks worse than others.:bounce:
I ve had the same thing said about my opinion's but the words just roll off like water off of a duck's back.
 
7401R said:
I was thinking in terms of the church. Hopefully our personal standard will be the same as that of the church,and they will both be reverent.
By "church", do you mean the local church, the denomination, the Church Universal? And, again, I'm just really confused about this "reverent" part. What, or who, could possibly distinguish a pair of shorts less reverent than a pair of slacks?
 

leroy

Senior Member
Our Church is helping out a neighboring Church this weekend with a marriage conference by preparing the food. We went up tonight and listened to some of the music during their praise time after the meal. I noticed that a guy playing the guitar had on jeans and flip-flops, all the musicians had on jeans or shorts, didnt seem to bother anyone they were to busy praising the Lord through their wonderful music. This thread has really bothered me because it has already been established that some think a person with jeans or shorts on in Church are somehow less mature in their walk, I think the ones that are less mature in their walk are the ones that find fault with how people dress for Church(jeans and shorts) I think they are the ones really missing out by judging people and yes it is judging before you know their heart. just my opinion. And yes I had on shorts and sandals also.
 
Last edited:
When we lived in Palm Coast, FL, we belonged to a Community church. It was founded 8-9 years ago by the Southern Baptist Association as an outreach ministry. It's primary purpose is as a seeker church (I might add, all our churches should have this as a primary purpose), which accepts all those who enter its doors. I worked in the youth ministry down there, so I spent most of my Sundays in the back rooms with the children. We dressed in shorts and golf style shirts with collars. We spent one service each Sunday playing games, putting on skits, and interacting with the children on their level about God and Jesus. When the first service was over, we would make our way into the sanctuary to worship with the adults during the second service. We always went dressed the same way we dressed in the children's ministry. We, nor anyone else, did not put on any airs (spelling), nor did we feel the need to change our attire for the adult service. If we had visitors (read as tourist) walk in off the street to attend our service, as a seeker church, we did not want to hit them with the suit and tie you are woefully under dressed mentality.
I, nor anyone I know who attended, was never told by any staff member or any other member that I was being disrespectful to God or Jesus because of what I wore to church. The pastoral staff typically wore long pants and similarly styled golf shirts. Our Georgia born, Methodist raised, pastor even preached from the pulpit in his boots and jeans.
What do we say to the bikers who attend church? What do we say to the farmers who attend church? Do we turn someone away who is truely seeking to know Jesus Christ as their personal Lord and Savior, simply because he is wearing shorts? NO. We cannot know the heart of another man, and isn't that what this is all about. What's in a man's heart is between he and God. The clothes on a man's back, is in no way an indication of what's in his heart.
I understand this is a heated thread with very purposeful stances on both sides of the issue. When I see my brothers and sisters, I don't focus on what they are wearing. I rejoice to see them in the house of the Lord seeking to gain knowledge and wisdom in His teachings. Then, I grab my pencil and begin taking notes. That's why I am there to begin with.
 
Last edited:

leroy

Senior Member
DCarter001 said:
When we lived in Palm Coast, FL, we belonged to a Community church. It was founded 8-9 years ago by the Southern Baptist Association as an outreach ministry. It's primary purpose is as a seeker church (I might add, all our churches should have this as a primary purpose), which accepts all those who enter its doors. I worked in the youth ministry down there, so I spent most of my Sundays in the back rooms with the children. We dressed in shorts and golf style shirts with collars. We spent one service each Sunday playing games, putting on skits, and interacting with the children on their level about God and Jesus. When the first service was over, we would make our way into the sanctuary to worship with the adults during the second service. We always went dressed the same way we dressed in the children's ministry. We, nor anyone else, did not put on any airs (spelling), nor did we feel the need to change our attire for the adult service. If we had visitors (read as tourist) walk in off the street to attend our service, as a seeker church, we did not want to hit them with the suit and tie you are woefully under dressed mentality.
I, nor anyone I know who attended, was never told by any staff member or any other member that I was being disrespectful to God or Jesus because of what I wore to church. The pastoral staff typically wore long pants and similarly styled golf shirts. Our Geogia born, Methodist raised, pastor even preached from the pulpit in his boots and jeans.
What do we say to the bikers who attend church? What do we say to the farmers who attend church? Do we turn someone away who is truely seeking to know Jesus Christ as their personal Lord and Savior, simply because he is wearing shorts? NO. We cannot know the heart of another man, and isn't that what this is all about. What's in a man's heart is between he and God. The clothes on a man's back, is in no way an indication of what's in his heart.
I understand this is a heated thread with very purposeful stances on both sides of the issue. When I see my brothers and sisters, I don't focus on what they are wearing. I rejoice to see them in the house of the Lord seeking to gain knowledge and wisdom in His teachings. Then, I grab my pencil and begin taking notes. That's why I am there to begin with.

good post
 
New here and stumbled upon this post

And I was reminded of a sermon that I preached a few years back. I was preaching at the Douglas County Jail. Around me were men in prison uniforms, standing unashamed with hands in the air praising Jesus. Unaware that they were in prison for just an hour on this Tuesday. They were not in the presence of prison guards but in the presence of tha Holy Spirit. Jesus surrounded Himself with the dregs of society. These people needed Him. They were there in whatever they had to wear and as far as I know there was no dress code required to be part of His ministry. Jesus didn't go and pick the elite citizens of Israel for his desciples. He didn't look at Peter and say, "Go change your clothes and follow me."

I know some of you were raised to wear your Sunday best to church and that is fine. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. But there is absolutely nothing wrong with shorts and flip flops, either. God Bless them!!! They are worshipping!! Being a Christian is about relationships, not clothes.

My 2 cents.

Dan
 

leroy

Senior Member
Pale Blue Dun said:
And I was reminded of a sermon that I preached a few years back. I was preaching at the Douglas County Jail. Around me were men in prison uniforms, standing unashamed with hands in the air praising Jesus. Unaware that they were in prison for just an hour on this Tuesday. They were not in the presence of prison guards but in the presence of tha Holy Spirit. Jesus surrounded Himself with the dregs of society. These people needed Him. They were there in whatever they had to wear and as far as I know there was no dress code required to be part of His ministry. Jesus didn't go and pick the elite citizens of Israel for his desciples. He didn't look at Peter and say, "Go change your clothes and follow me."

I know some of you were raised to wear your Sunday best to church and that is fine. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. But there is absolutely nothing wrong with shorts and flip flops, either. God Bless them!!! They are worshipping!! Being a Christian is about relationships, not clothes.

My 2 cents.

Dan

Amen brother
 
Top