DT Systems BL 505 bird launchers

bnew17

I have 3 of these bird launchers I bought from a lady whose father owned them prior to his death. When I received the units they were still new in the box, but probably a handful of years old. The issue I am having is the launchers are only launching pigeons 2-3, maybe 4 feet in the air. I called DT Systems and spoke to a lady in Customer Service and she told me they should be launching the birds 10-12 feet in the air. I asked her if there was any way to adjust the unit and she said no, that I would have to send the unit it on my dime, and then pay their team an hourly rate to look at the unit. Does anyone have any experience with this type of issue?

Bigearl68

About the only thing it could be is weak springs. Though if they’ve never been used I can’t imagine that’s the case. Are you burying them in the grass to hide them? If you put to much vegetation around or on top of them it will inhibit the launch.

bnew17

About the only thing it could be is weak springs. Though if they’ve never been used I can’t imagine that’s the case. Are you burying them in the grass to hide them? If you put to much vegetation around or on top of them it will inhibit the launch.

I did have them in some grass to hide them, but it wasn't so thick to inhibit the launcher I do not think....and there wasn't any vegetation overhanging the launcher, etc.

Rebel's Dad

I've used them for years--share two with a a buddy and another buddy has one. One doesn't toss pigeons as high as the others but still 10 feet or so.

When you got them were the springs set and under tension? I forget how mine were packaged.

Check where the arms pivot for corrosion. Sitting there for that long those bearing surfaces might have gotten galled or oxidized.

bnew17

I've used them for years--share two with a a buddy and another buddy has one. One doesn't toss pigeons as high as the others but still 10 feet or so.

When you got them were the springs set and under tension? I forget how mine were packaged.

Check where the arms pivot for corrosion. Sitting there for that long those bearing surfaces might have gotten galled or oxidized.

I dont really remember 100% but I do not think they were set under tension. I haven’t noticed any rust. It just seems the training bideos show the pigeons being launched much higher.

Rebel's Dad

They definitely should launch them higher than you're seeing.

You might try taking the springs off and making sure the arms pivot freely. If they do it's pretty much got to be the springs.