Durn Dog!!!! Would you....

Handgunner

E.r...

Tell us how you really feel. ;)

It just blows my mind every time.

:confused: How we sit here day in and day out and hear about ethics and how others percieve hunters. Then we sit hear and brag about how we would shoot a dog. :confused: But first don't let me fall into the same trap as everyone else. There two different subjects here. WILD DOGS, DOGS.

Wild dogs are a different matter. The should and must be dealt with. My only suggestion would be just do it and keep quiet or when talking about this matter always state "wild dog"

Dogs in general. Now this is where I can't figure out why or how anyone that would even consider themselves a moral, law abiding, ethical or decent person/hunter would even consider or talk about shooting a loose dog in any kind of a public forum. All this does is confirm what allot of non hunters think about us. That we are a bunch of bloodthirsty, beer drinking, tobacco chewing, rednecks loose in the woods. :confused: I don't care who you are. Or how decent of a person you are. If you don't have a problem with this please never ask me about joining our club. We don't need members that much.
If you only have one weekend a year to hunt. I would suggest to find another hobby. Because I have seen what putting "YOUR DEER HUNT" over man's best friend, how it effects people. If you come to Jefferson County and shoot someones pet. You had better bring your wallet. Cause if you are caught it will cost you. A Doctor from Atlanta shot a friends dogs. It finally caught up with him and cost him over $10,000 after paying his lawyer. :D
I can't stand my children's dog. But if you come down to our neighborhood and shoot it. Just remember it's not over till the fat lady sings. When you go to your lease just remember you are a guest to the community. Unrully guest will be delt with.;)

I have to agree Keith. Why would you even let your children read a thread of this content?:confused: I would love to sit around your supper table as you explain this to your children. My girls hunt and I know to not even shoot a coyote when they are with me.:(

leadoff

GONetwork Member
Maybe this will help...

On the left is a wild dog. Surprisingly, the dog on the right is not wild but is in fact my female lab/golden mix Cora.

Using these illustrations as reference, here is an easy way to differentiate a wild dog from someone's pet that has strayed:

Notice the visible rib cage on the wild dog on the left. This is usually a clear indication of a wild dog. Also, notice the collar on the dog on the right. A collar is the clearest indication to someone that the dog is not wild.

Alpha%20and%20Pups.jpg
27.jpg

reylamb

Sorry ER, but my ethics are not situational, they are constant. I would not kill a dog unless it is attacking me. Sitting in a stand, not gonna happen. Attacking me or my children, dead pooch. Chasing a deer? Keep running Fido, hope you get to eat a tasty meal that day.

How much you spend on a lease is immaterial. The dogs are only doing what we are doing, hunting. They are doing what their God-given instinct is, hunt. When did the deer become ours, and not part of nature. Dogs killing deer is natures way of thinning out the herd.

Do not for a second tell me that I should walk in your shoes. On 6 hunts this year I have had dogs with no collars on come trapsing past my stand. At no point was there ever a thought in my mind to let an arrow fly. I grew up hunting in the Low country of SC where dog hunting is a way of life. The poor pooches have never been able to read, and on more than one occassion I have had numerous dogs come flying by my stand in pursuit of a deer. I have never shot a dog. What I am saying is, that yes, I have been in your shoes, and my ethics do not change. I do not know the circumstances by which a dog came to be in the woods, it may have escaped from a fence or darted out of a nearby house when a child opened the door. Who knows? Yet, I will still never shoot a dog, unless it is attacking me or a loved one.

So the dogs are ruining your hunt, heaven forbid. Did it ever occur to you that you may be ruining the dogs' hunt? Those dogs are doing what they were put on this earth to do, hunt.

Selfishness and greed will ultimately be the demise of hunting. Killing the dogs because they are hunting is greed and or selfishness, unless you life is in danger, pure and simple. A dog is ruining your hunt, so what.

The verdict is still out on food plots and their ultimate effect on the herd. At some point in the future we may look back on food plots and say, "what a disaster that was, concentrating deer into areas lead to that massive virus of 2010 that really put a hurting on our herd." You want to talk about man potentially screwing up the natural order and balance of the woods, food plots are part of it.

Deer and dogs have been in the woods far longer than man, hunting and living off the land. To change any one aspect of that is to change the complete ecosystem.

Finally I say this, I will never kill anything, unless provoked or fear for my life, that I do not intend to eat. Coyotes, coons, possums, whatever, if I will not eat it I will not kill it. All creatures were put on this planet by God to serve a purpose, who am I to usurp that authority and change the order. God put 'yotes and dogs on this earth to hunt, man changed dogs into pets.

Like I said, my ethics are not situational, they are affixed and written in stone.

Jeff Phillips

leadoff said:
Maybe this will help...

On the left is a wild dog. Surprisingly, the dog on the right is not wild but is in fact my female lab/golden mix Cora.

If a dog is wearing a John Deere hat, I think it is safe to assume the dog is not wild :p

Spoiled maybe, but not wild :fine:

QuackAddict

I have never shot a dog in the woods and I have seen a few in the woods but they were someone's pet. However, if a pitbull with no collar came running by my stand I would let him have it. Pitbulls are worthless in my opinion.

E

early riser

Delton said:
Tell us how you really feel. ;)

::gone: ::huh: ::gone:

Delton, only if some of these "NO WAY" people had seen some of the dogs I have seen. Only if I could post some of the HORRIFIC photos I have seen without being judged by the "NO WAYS" ::ke:. Post pictures of the vicious dogs that we have seen chasing our deer. By VICIOUS, I mean dogs that you would be scared for yourself much less one of your children to walk into the woods alone to hunt. (not the "pet" down the road). Vicious in such a scary way I call them DEVIL DOGS, with pointed ears muscle that can be seen from distance, and large size frames, all packed up hunting together.

We see pit bulls on TV weekly that are pets attacking owners, family members, children, neighbors all the time. These were fenced dogs that got out, I'm talking dogs that aren't ever fenced, wild and living off the land and in the woods, and here I am talking a vicious "WILD DOG" and I still hear some folks say "NO WAY" ::huh: . Couldn't shoot a dog ::huh: .

I don't feel any of us go hunting to shoot dogs, but as I stated earlier they are times when man has unbalanced Nature, and times when man is faced to step up and put it back in check.

Mangy dumpster dogs don't look vicious, but they do hunt, do have to eat, do chase wildlife, do and can ruin a good property. Even if they sometimes don't look vicious. A pack of wild dogs is a scary thing to run up on in the woods. (ASK MECHANICALDAWG!). They are some instances where too many discarded dogs may need to be put into check. May even be some times when someones back yard dog that isn't collored can ruin a property because it's 'LOCAL OWNER" isn't responsible enough to keep their pet safe. I have seen locals dogs pack up and hunt and it's a funny thing that they KNOW when fawning season is in, and they start to show up regularly. Try telling a local that has lived there all his life to fence or chain up his dog! When he doesn't and something happens to the dog what? Again, there's times when it's best to keep things to ones self and take care of the matter at hand and times when no matter what you may do will only turn things into a mess. However there is also times there's time to do what needs to be done.

I have seen them hunt singly, working trails, sniffing and in stealth mode. They sometimes may not look like "WILD DOGS", but they are hunting, destroying good hunting possibilities, and will pack up with other dogs to do their damage.

No matter how we try to keep these posts off the boards, someone will always bring them up, then you have the do's, dont's, "NO WAY'S", and arguments pro and con as to what some say should be kept quiet and to ones self.

Guess that leaves the "NO WAYS" an out when their time comes if they keep things to themselves, ::gone: huh ::huh:. ;)

e.r.

Mac

I feel

Wild dogs are more harmful on all wildlife and farm animals, than coyota's.

Wild is wild.

I didn't hear anyone say they would let a coyota walk.
What is the difference?

PHIL M

Gone But Not Forgotten
to shoot or not to shoot? I was told by a game warden years ago that, if you shoot a (wild) dog, you would would be doing them a service. wild dogs dont usually live long on their own in the wild, they usually die of starvation or illness. (a slow death). I cant say that I have never done it, but there have been times that I didnt have the heart to do it. I guess it depends on what kind of shape the dog is in. and how it looks. Ive seen some nasty looking dogs that didnt have a hair left on its body. in those cases it felt like the humane thing to do.

HMwolfpup

Thunder said:
Thats the main reason I didn't shoot....I like dogs (have 2). But like Willhunt said....a responsible owner would not let his dog in the woods during hunting season, and with no collar. Now, I'm convinced that it was either wild or not taken care of properly. Kind of skinny, and coughing some.

If he shows again..... :shoot:

I have to look real close before I shoot one. My roommate has a bulldog that can't keep a collar on (neck is larger than his head). He's a friendly dog, but is part Houdini. When we leave, we put him in a 5 ft high dog pen with an electric fence around the top and bottom of the inside of the pen. That pen is inside me 5ft high fenced in back yard and the fence has electric wire around the bottom. We also run "spikes" (for lack of a better word) through the gates to keep him from climbing, but when he gets spooked, he can get through all of it. If he ran through the woods, I don't know if he would chase deer or not, I know he would chase squirrells.

For this reason, I have to look closely at a dog and see if he fits the description of stray or wild before I shoot....only exception is if I see it chasing a deer, I may go ahead and shoot, but I haven't run into that yet....It would also break my heart if I found out later I killed some kid's pet, regarless of the bread....it's not a dog's fault if he has irresponsible owners.

letsgohuntin

early riser said:

At Crabapple, we have a set of dumpsters just down the road. We were regularly seeing "DUMPSTER DOGS" mangy, cripled, starving, dogs.

How many time have you called the local humane society to pick the dogs up, if its such a "regular" problem?? Let them do their job.

Arrow Flinger

letsgohuntin said:
How many time have you called the local humane society to pick the dogs up, if its such a "regular" problem?? Let them do their job.

Remember, he is talking about Hancock County. :bounce:

letsgohuntin

:)
Arrow Flinger said:
Remember, he is talking about Hancock County. :bounce:

Ya, im sure thats the case in any county. :bounce

It probably would take an act of congress to get somebody out, but at least make an attempt :clap:

Tom Borck

Banned
letsgohuntin said:

Hahahahahahahahaha!!! Thanks for the bit of humor! That is a joke in South Georgia! I took several stray to the pund and they wanted me to PAY 25 bucks for each stray I brought in!!!!!!!!! I took two puppies and after paying 50 bucks....I quit taking them!

Dog no collar ridden with mange. DEAD!

Dog growling and attempting to attack DEAD regardless of collar, even if it is my pet!

Coyote with or without collar....DEAD!

Dog with a collar and friendly...try to find owner.

Healthy dog no collar....let it go.

Cuss words on this post.......I really don't give a rat's.......... :D

Let's continue to keep this civil. No one exactly has a right or a wrong answer except the few who take pride to publicly flaunt the fact that they would shoot "any pooch".

ER--there is always a certain scenario that maybe shooting a dog might be appropriate but using the hard earned money argument is quite frankly not very christ like.

All domestic dogs should have collars or something that identifies them---period. Domestic dogs should not be allowed to constantly roam someones hunting area and hopefully hunters will make every effort to notify an owner or the pound. If you find the owner or pound and they refuse they surely are completely irresponsible. I still would not shoot it but I would think hard about it and would understand why some would.

As far as what I thought was a wild dog--I would have to see it several times without a collar over a period of time. Sometimes they pass through and move on. Last year I had a couple of dogs running together--one was owned and the other had no collar and was poorly cared for or wild. They drove me nuts. The tame dog was the tracker and the other was the chaser. I had seen them multiple times sometimes together and some not and I was mad. They ran a fox on me one day while I was on the ground and they saw and I picked up the rifle and pointed it at them to scare them. They never came back.

Use good judgement and be as compassionate as you can.

E

early riser

reylamb said:
Do not for a second tell me that I should walk in your shoes. On 6 hunts this year I have had dogs with no collars on come trapsing past my stand. At no point was there ever a thought in my mind to let an arrow fly. I grew up hunting in the Low country of SC where dog hunting is a way of life. The poor pooches have never been able to read, and on more than one occassion I have had numerous dogs come flying by my stand in pursuit of a deer. I have never shot a dog. What I am saying is, that yes, I have been in your shoes, and my ethics do not change. .

Reylamb, there's a HUGE difference in spending a $200-$300-$400.00 a year on a hunting lease for the right to spend a few weekends in the woods than spending hundreds of thousands of dollars to support a private property with a home on it in which you spend equal time year round. That I will protect.

NO, I doubt you have walked in my shoes. I also doubt you have seen the dogs I am speaking of and I doubt unless you experience the "exact" circumstances you'll ever understand. But I also know we all have different views on the whole gamitt or issues discussed here at Woodys and therefore to each his own.

e.r.

Mac

Most rural counties "including mine"

Doesn't know what Humane society means. Not one and probably never will be one.

letsgohuntin said:

E

early riser

letsgohuntin said:

ROFLMBO! You don't know Hancock Cty. We do good to get the Sherriff Dept to fill out a burgulary report. It took three tries and then we had to present the case to an outside county to get the attention we deserved in Hancock Cty. We did finally catch the culpret..., basically ON OUR OWN.

Don't think calling a dog pound will be the ticket LOL. Does Hancock have a dog cathcer ::huh: really, it wouldn't matter.

e.r.

Handgunner

E.R...

The way this thread is going, it's probably going to get pulled sooner or later. Post the pictures. May as well get some evidence in before the jury steps out... :eek: :rolleyes: