Easier Ground Anchor Option

I trapped coyotes for the first time lasy year. I had good success but i had a really tough time with the Super Stake earth anchors. I trap is south Brooks County and there is a lot of clay. The Super Stakes were tough to drive in sometimes and were often near impossible to pull. I tried 2 different commercial pullers but still had problems with J hooks bending or breaking. I watched videos and bought a hamme rmill drill with large bits and augers but still had problems with the Super Stakes.
im considering wolfgang anchors this year and have questions:
Can i use the Super Stakes that I left in the Ground?
Are the Wolfgangs easier to drive in?
What is the ideal length and diameter for the cable?
Should I J hook some chain to the cable?
Are there any other suggestions?
I don't mean to sound wimpy but this clay is tough!

buckpasser

I trapped coyotes for the first time lasy year. I had good success but i had a really tough time with the Super Stake earth anchors. I trap is south Brooks County and there is a lot of clay. The Super Stakes were tough to drive in sometimes and were often near impossible to pull. I tried 2 different commercial pullers but still had problems with J hooks bending or breaking. I watched videos and bought a hamme rmill drill with large bits and augers but still had problems with the Super Stakes.
im considering wolfgang anchors this year and have questions:
Can i use the Super Stakes that I left in the Ground?
Are the Wolfgangs easier to drive in?
What is the ideal length and diameter for the cable?
Should I J hook some chain to the cable?
Are there any other suggestions?
I don't mean to sound wimpy but this clay is tough!

I’m right there with you (south Brooks). I started with the WF and had great luck with them at 8” depth (usually on a 12” cable). The problem is that they are basically disposable. Even getting them out by augering beside them can bend them and they are far less durable than the SS.

I’d suggest using chain and only going as deep as necessary. That way they auger bit run right down the tight chain can pop up the anchor with minimal work. I don’t use a puller, just patience with the drill.

furtaker

I use drags in brushy areas. In more open areas I either single stake with 30 inch rebar or double stake with 18 inch rebar. A little twisting and pulling with channel lock pliers and they come right up. I've never understood the love for earth anchors. Too much trouble getting them out of the ground for me. Maybe they're worth it if you're running hundreds of traps which I'm not.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I’ve about destroyed every one I have getting them out of the ground . My best advice is a pair of good post hole diggers . But I’m a one property trapper , and usually leave my traps in the ground until I’m done for the year .

sportsman94

Here’s what I’ve gone to that doesn’t make me dread pull day near as much. I make my earth anchor stakes with 1/8” cable. I have various lengths, but if you’re in clay then I would guess 8-12” would be plenty. I make mine by using an old set of bolt cutters to crimp the ferrules on, then hammer them down the rest of the way leaving a decent sized loop. During trapping season I keep a chain looped through the front d rings on my truck. I hook the end of the chain through my loop, throw it in reverse, and save my back a lot of work. Here it was in action this morning. If I’m in soft ground I’ll still auger, but in heavy clay or anything that doesn’t dig easily I use my truck. Every once in awhile a cable will break, but it’s worth it to not break my back every pull day. If you’re a welder, you can buy some #7 chain from a trapping supply shop and weld it to the super stake. You can then use a large size quick link to attach it to your last swivel and pull with the truck that way

IMG_9228.jpeg

Furmaster

No ** trap puller … well worth the money . Go to Trapshed Supply Co and order one . I’ve built them , had someone else build them , drilled them , and everything you can think of . This puller gets the job did .IMG_6739.png

cj580guitar

Here’s what I’ve gone to that doesn’t make me dread pull day near as much. I make my earth anchor stakes with 1/8” cable. I have various lengths, but if you’re in clay then I would guess 8-12” would be plenty. I make mine by using an old set of bolt cutters to crimp the ferrules on, then hammer them down the rest of the way leaving a decent sized loop. During trapping season I keep a chain looped through the front d rings on my truck. I hook the end of the chain through my loop, throw it in reverse, and save my back a lot of work. Here it was in action this morning. If I’m in soft ground I’ll still auger, but in heavy clay or anything that doesn’t dig easily I use my truck. Every once in awhile a cable will break, but it’s worth it to not break my back every pull day. If you’re a welder, you can buy some #7 chain from a trapping supply shop and weld it to the super stake. You can then use a large size quick link to attach it to your last swivel and pull with the truck that way

View attachment 1285234
I do the same when using anchors

sleepr71

I also auger down beside them ..and sometimes (in clay)..have to auger 2-3 times. I have broken a few chains while trying to pull them. The more I think about it…2 pieces of 18” rebar..crisscrossed at a 45 to each other…sounds easier + cheaper.. ?

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Use cable and wolf fang anchors. When done cut the cable at or just below ground level and move on. Your back will thank you. I’m convinced part of my back problem was either caused or exacerbated by pulling chained super stakes out of red clay ground and I can take you to the spot it happened.

No thanks on pulling anything.it’s not worth it I don’t care how many you are pulling.

87Warrior

I use the chained SS in Carolina red clay and rocks. When it comes time to pull, I take a crowbar and a board about a foot long. Grab the chain with the crowbar and pull straight up using the board to keep the crowbar from going down into the trap bed. Once the crowbar moves the SS a few inches grab the chain a few links lower and go again. If the SS gets caught on a rock take your auger and go down beside the chain to loosen the dirt allowing the rock to move enough to clear the SS. It is essential that you are using strong chain with welded S-hooks when pulling with this method. This is the easiest “on the back anyway” method I have found for pulling the chained SS.

sleepr71

This is why I welded a 2lb Hammer head onto a small crowbar. Gives me something to hammer with..and something to pry/pull with..in 1 tool. Cheap too :)

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Can't remember where I saw it, but somewhere someone welded a loop on a wolffang and ran a cable from it with a loop, then when they went to pull the the anchor, they pulled that cable first that made the anchor go vertical and easier to remove.

I use a mataxe to dig and pry with, plus stubborn ones I use the truck. I have a little clay here, but A LOT of rocks so it can get interesting setting and pulling, plus frozen ground.

2dye4

I use a large pick ax to dig mine out of the ground if I move my traps. You can partially see it in the attached picture.

Attachments

• IMG_1565.jpeg
    IMG_1565.jpeg
    392.3 KB · Views: 9