Easter speck trip

jigman29

Had a few hours before dinner so I decided to try and get a few wild trout on the caddis. Fishing was tough but I ended up with a few rainbows and specks. Size isn't near as important as the fun I have catching them.

Dr. Strangelove

Beautiful!

FOLES55

Looked like a good day

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Good stuff! No better way to spend a day IMO than catching those little fellers back on a little creek in the mountains.

Killer Kyle

These guys went back. I got a couple limits in the freezer just waiting for the ramps to get dug. I will eat like a mountain king then!!!

Don't hesitate on the ramps! Now is the time! Ol' RippleRider and I went in last Wednesday and picked a few. Already cooked some ramp, egg, and bacon. Gonna do a ramp pizza tomorrow night for the first time. Ramp digging is hot right now!!!

Killer Kyle

I also plan to cook up some venison cube steak with a potato/ ramp soup this week. Ain't gonna sneak up on any hogs anytime soon with the way ramp cooking is going on around here!
How do you cook your ramps with specks? I fried taters?

jigman29

I also plan to cook up some venison cube steak with a potato/ ramp soup this week. Ain't gonna sneak up on any hogs anytime soon with the way ramp cooking is going on around here!
How do you cook your ramps with specks? I fried taters?

Normally I fry mine in with taters. I chop tops and all in them. A woman I work with roasts them in the oven with olive oil, salt and pepper. I am gonna try that next I think.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Mighty purty fish right there.

Since we have 2 kinds of specks down here not counting yours up there, I have to get my thoughts just right to get em all in the right place and know which fish we`re talking about. :D

jigman29

Mighty purty fish right there.

Since we have 2 kinds of specks down here not counting yours up there, I have to get my thoughts just right to get em all in the right place and know which fish we`re talking about. :D

LOL You need to venture up this way while the gettins good. I will take you on a speck trip as close and easy or as far back in the bush as youd like. We will eat like kings right on the creekbank. I am sure hillbilly would be more than happy to come along.

deerhuntingdawg

Won't be much longer for me Jigman!! Gotta do the Mothers Day deal then it's ON!