Found! Good Persimmon Grafting Wood

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Do the seeds from Meaders and Yates grow?
I don't know. The problem with seedlings is that most of them turn out to be males.

sghoghunter

I cut a handful of scions off a grafted female I bought a couple years ago and they been hanging out in the bottom of the fridge for a couple months. Couple weeks ago I decided to try this grafting again but only done two. So far my success rate is 50% with one showing good green. Now I wish I would have tried to find some better scion wood earlier to try

Attachments

• IMG_2507.jpeg
    IMG_2507.jpeg
    212.7 KB · Views: 16

Jim Boyd

I cut a handful of scions off a grafted female I bought a couple years ago and they been hanging out in the bottom of the fridge for a couple months. Couple weeks ago I decided to try this grafting again but only done two. So far my success rate is 50% with one showing good green. Now I wish I would have tried to find some better scion wood earlier to try

Good start!!!!

Kdog

My only chance to get back to the property is this weekend, so I will have to make it work. Going to focus on a larger tree in the pasture since the others were dying off.

Jim Boyd

My only chance to get back to the property is this weekend, so I will have to make it work. Going to focus on a larger tree in the pasture since the others were dying off.

Knock ‘em dead!

I am going to try to do some this weekend, as well.

Wish me luck, I bombed in 2023…..

Jim Boyd

IMG_5206.jpegIMG_5207.jpegIMG_5208.jpegIMG_5210.jpegIMG_5212.jpegIMG_5213.jpegIMG_5211.jpegIMG_5214.jpegStarting with Meadors

Attachments

• IMG_5207.jpeg
    IMG_5207.jpeg
    250.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5206.jpeg
    IMG_5206.jpeg
    440.6 KB · Views: 1

Jim Boyd

IMG_5215.jpeg

Jim Boyd

IMG_5217.jpegIMG_5218.jpegIMG_5219.jpegIMG_5221.jpegIMG_5216.pngThis joker sprang up right next to an old deer stand.

Jim Boyd

Just discovered 5 females that are loaded.

Jim Boyd

Working to clear brush and add 4 converted trees by the 5 females

Kdog

Cut down three dead ones and one that looked bad that I had marked. Ended up grafting two older ones in the pasture with Deer Magnet and Deer Candy that were both 10-12" in diameter. Also checked my chestnuts and all are loaded with tassels, so should be a good year for them as well as the apples and pears.

Here are pics of one of the persimmons. I will add supports in a few weeks once I confirm the grafts take.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Jim, are you cutting those scions down to a thin wedge at the bottom? They still look pretty thick and round in the pics?

Jim Boyd

Jim, are you cutting those scions down to a thin wedge at the bottom? They still look pretty thick and round in the pics?
I was trying to cut that end down on an angle that removed about 50% of the diameter. There s end to be a core in the middle of the twig and I was trying to get into the middle of it.

Hope that is right cause I did 19 of them!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I was trying to cut that end down on an angle that removed about 50% of the diameter. There s end to be a core in the middle of the twig and I was trying to get into the middle of it.

Hope that is right cause I did 19 of them!
I usually cut the end of the scion down to a tapering wedge that's almost paper thin at the end, like this:
scion.png

Jim Boyd

I usually cut the end of the scion down to a tapering wedge that's almost paper thin at the end, like this:
View attachment 1302708

Great image!

I gotta admit mine are not that sharp / pointy on the end.

I also left a little more green on the side that touches the cambium. I think that may have been part of the problem last year. I scraped too much green away. Maybe.

Thanks for the oversight and advice!

I said I did 19 and there was a reason for that. @SCDAWG Chris gave me 20 twigs and here is ONE of my take aways…. Don’t drop a twig on the forest floor! I simply could NOT see that joker down there.

That is all of the Meador’s and next week, I will move to the Fuyu. Think I have about 20 of those also.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Great image!

I gotta admit mine are not that sharp / pointy on the end.

I also left a little more green on the side that touches the cambium. I think that may have been part of the problem last year. I scraped too much green away. Maybe.

Thanks for the oversight and advice!

I said I did 19 and there was a reason for that. @SCDAWG Chris gave me 20 twigs and here is ONE of my take aways…. Don’t drop a twig on the forest floor! I simply could NOT see that joker down there.

That is all of the Meador’s and next week, I will move to the Fuyu. Think I have about 20 of those also.
As long as you have a clean, straight cut with good cambium contact on both sides, you should be good to go. I don't scrape anything, just one cut on each side with a sharp knife.

Jim Boyd

As long as you have a clean, straight cut with good cambium contact on both sides, you should be good to go. I don't scrape anything, just one cut on each side with a sharp knife.

Aaaah, I see.

I have been basically cutting one side only - about 50% gone…. And then lightly trying to scrape the brown bark away on the other side.

Maybe I am making it harder than it needs to be?

Again, much appreciated!