Found! Good Persimmon Grafting Wood

Jim Boyd

PS I made sure I did not get NEAR any of @NC Hillbilly does on the way past his place.

He has a special place in his heart for them girl deers!!!!

I cut an intentional, wide path.

He is either right by - or right on - some fine fishing???

Jim Boyd

You're welcome!
Good luck with those.

Flollowed your advice and checked scions.

They are damper than I think they should be so I changed the paper towel and moistened it only slightly.

I have at least a month before I can experiment.

@SCDAWG still want to find a way to get you a supply of the Fuyu scions also.

Want to see you try YOUR expert hand at them!!!!!!

IMG_4977.jpeg

SCDAWG

If I'm the expert, we're in trouble!
Those scions look good.
Do you ever get up around Saluda SC.?
Maybe we could meet around there some time.

Jim Boyd

If I'm the expert, we're in trouble!
Those scions look good.
Do you ever get up around Saluda SC.?
Maybe we could meet around there some time.

I’m not over there much but I have friends over that way.

I will make a trip or find out who might arrange the scions to you.

I mean for you to have some.

Let me check, sir

Jim Boyd

Met with Chris @SCDAWG again today.

He supplied me with Meador wood and got him some Fuyu.

We are not sure what we are gonna do with the Fuyu wood.

I will order from nuttree.com this winter and get Chris and I some Yates or other interesting wood.

I will mark some of my heavy bearing local trees late this summer and get he and I some local wood to share - for grafting in 2025.

Mostly I gotta learn this year to graft successfully!

Kdog

Been a while since I have grafted anything (~20 years) but plan to graft some persimmons tomorrow. Have my scion soaking and everything ready to load up in the morning. Will post pics and hopefully progress in the near future.

Jim Boyd

Been a while since I have grafted anything (~20 years) but plan to graft some persimmons tomorrow. Have my scion soaking and everything ready to load up in the morning. Will post pics and hopefully progress in the near future.

I will look in the am but I don’t think our trees are quite ready.

Good luck, sir!!!

Pics or it did not happen!

Kdog

I will look in the am but I don’t think our trees are quite ready.

Good luck, sir!!!

Pics or it did not happen!
I have not been to the property (1 hour north) to see them, but based on what I have seen here around the house, they should be ready. May be a quick trip up and back, but I am sure they will be fine.

Jim Boyd

I have not been to the property (1 hour north) to see them, but based on what I have seen here around the house, they should be ready. May be a quick trip up and back, but I am sure they will be fine.

Some of ours could be grafted but some are not there yet.

Imma wait til May.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

Imma wait til May.
If the leaves are about half/3/4 normal size, you should be good to go. As long as the sap is flowing and the bark slips.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

Imma wait til May.
If the leaves are about half/3/4 normal size, you shoulf be good to go. As long as the sap is flowing and the bark slips.
Wow! Wow! Wow!

Met Chris @SCDAWG and his lovely wife Heather today up around Abbeville.

Got a great supply of Meadors Scions and some great advice….

Also got an elderberry bush to plant, as well!

Looking forward to the ying and yang as we swap plant stuff in the future.

Next up will be the Fuyu and chestnut projects to mix and match with.

Discovered I was close to @NC Hillbilly farm - now we need some of his Yates and Prok (sp ?) cuttings!!!!!!

He probably has some over in the farm!!!!!

Thank you Chris!
I missed this somehow when you posted it, but yeah, my place is not far at all from Abbeville. It's around the thriving metropolis of Willington. :)

Kdog

Probably should have done it but felt like I was a week or so early. Unfortunately two of my marked trees have died, and one of the others is not looking great. They have wet feet where they are, so not sure how long they will last. Will try again in a couple weeks.

My pears and apples look great with the exception of a little frost damage on two pears.

Jim Boyd

Probably should have done it but felt like I was a week or so early. Unfortunately two of my marked trees have died, and one of the others is not looking great. They have wet feet where they are, so not sure how long they will last. Will try again in a couple weeks.

My pears and apples look great with the exception of a little frost damage on two pears.

Good luck, sir!!!!!!

weagle

Got my scions from Nut Trees grafted on today. My persimmons were leafed out and the bark separated easily when I cut it to graft, Hopefully these take. The scions seemed to be in excellent condition. Nice and green and fresh looking where I shaved them down for the graft. Use stretch wrap with tree wound dressing to finish,

IMG_5163.jpeg

Jim Boyd

Got my scions from Nut Trees grafted on today. My persimmons were leafed out and the bark separated easily when I cut it to graft, Hopefully these take. The scions seemed to be in excellent condition. Nice and green and fresh looking where I shaved them down for the graft. Use stretch wrap with tree wound dressing to finish,

View attachment 1301450

Looks great!

Jim Boyd

Good luck!

I will order some Yates next year!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

View attachment 1301450
Looks good! I Usually wrap the tape all around the junction, too, to keep the humidity up, and put a dab of that sealant on the cut tip of the scion.