Educate me on night vision/thermal imaging

bighonkinjeep

I noticed the OP also asked.about weather ratings. There will usually be temperature ratings listed in the specs of a particular optic. There are also IP ratings which are basically the resistance to dust and liquids entering the optic. Heres an article that explains IP ratings.

https://nightvision.co.nz/what-does-ip67-rating-mean/

For further help it would be very helpful to know what "breaks the bank" and what the OPs budget is since breaking the bank for one may be a starting point for another.

I dont know anything about the Sightmark Wraith NV but BPS has the Wraith HD for $100 off at $399 and Ive seen them on Amazon for $349.
They might work, they might be just setting money on fire. I've seen some other members here say they have sucess with them In previous threads.

Last edited:

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I had a Wraith, and it was useful out to 100 yards or so. I thought it was good until I played with a RIX Tourer T20. Very noticeable difference in picture quality. I sold the Wraith, planning on getting the Tourer.

Then I went on a night hunt with a buddy's RIX Leap 6 Thermal....

Wow...

Technology is changing fast for the better, and prices are coming down.

I will probably end up with a Tourer, and probably won't wind up with the Leap 6...I just ain't into it enough to spend the money on it.

Yet. :bounce:

kayaksteve

I have an old photon xt fixed 4 power digital night vision that I paid about $600 bucks for 8 or 9 years ago.(you can get a new version for half that $ now). It got the job done for me, especially with a cheap after market IR illuminator in fields but, it is nearly useless in any kind of woods. The IR light reflects back off of any trees and washes out the view. It was a little grainy but, I can identify and kill coyotes or pigs easily out to 100yds in a field. I’d love to have a thermal but, as easy as it is to burn out a spot I just don’t have the enough areas to use it much anymore.

sleepr71

I noticed the OP also asked.about weather ratings. There will usually be temperature ratings listed in the specs of a particular optic. There are also IP ratings which are basically the resistance to dust and liquids entering the optic. Heres an article that explains IP ratings.

https://nightvision.co.nz/what-does-ip67-rating-mean/

For further help it would be very helpful to know what "breaks the bank" and what the OPs budget is since breaking the bank for one may be a starting point for another.

I dont know anything about the Sightmark Wraith NV but BPS has the Wraith HD for $100 off at $399 and Ive seen them on Amazon for $349.
They might work, they might be just setting money on fire. I've seen some other members here say they have sucess with them In previous threads.

I have a Sightmark Wraith mini. I believe it’s the mini 4K..and even with the factory IR light..I could see Deer,etc at 300+ yds in open areas. I’ve added an ATN 850 IR illuminator..and can see more+ farther..but unless I’m on a shooting bench..shooting over 200yds at night is tough to me.! I’d say the Wraith mini 4K is a good/excellent value,works well,and can be used day,and night.;) It is digital though..so the higher you magnify it.. the “grainier” the image becomes. No problems with seeing(clearly) out to 400 yds.