School me on night vision scopes

Otisman

I’m considering a night vision scope for an AR. I want the best I can get for under $1000. Will be for coyote hunting. I know NOTHING about them but I have seen one before that was basically a computer. I don’t want all the bells and whistles, just a good view. Any recommendations appreciated.

ldavid008

Be aware that NV using IR lights really only work in open areas. There's a lot of reflection that gets sent back into the scope. Kind of like looking into headlights of a car through the scope. Even a single blade of grass can have enough reflection off of it that it's hard to see directly behind it and you can forget hunting in thick woods.

Other option is thermal but then you're well above your limit. Wraith's work great, I've got one and use it every year. I wish I had the smaller wraith, mine's the bigger one and the screen at it's lowest setting is still too bright and the lowest magnification is still too much.

sleepr71

Open fields & powerlines…Sightmark Wraith mini4k. If you hunt in wooded areas a lot..go Thermal. $2K is the starting point for rifle grade thermal scopes.

ddgarcia

Mr Non-Libertaw Got To Be Done My Way
I have 2 Wraiths. I have both the HD and 4K and the 4K is by far the better of the 2. Both will mess your night vision up but the 4K is far less than the HD being able to adjust the screen brightness lower.

As @ldavid008 pointed out, in cover, reflected IR can become a problem. I countered this by buying a rubber bikini scope cover and punching a small hole in it to reduce the amount of light put out. It limits your range but how far are you going to shoot in cover anyway.

If you're convenient to Athens I'd be happy to get together and let you try mine out before your purchase.

B. White

Bass Pro ad in the mailbox today has the Wraith HD for $399.

I am a rookie and just got one. Works fine for an old guy with glasses. I stuck it on a PSA 22lr upper to play with for dillers and barn rats. Same hole accuracy at 25yds. I'll put it on something else for coyotes after deer season.

I think it is a good deal, as long as it holds up. I added the sniper hog light 66lrx.

B. White

I forgot to add, biggest downside I see so far is the AA batteries have dropped to the yellow zone pretty fast. I will pick up something rechargeable.

ddgarcia

Mr Non-Libertaw Got To Be Done My Way
I forgot to add, biggest downside I see so far is the AA batteries have dropped to the yellow zone pretty fast. I will pick up something rechargeable.
You can get something like this.

Anker Portable Charger, 313 Power Bank (PowerCore Slim 10K) 10000mAh Battery Pack with PowerIQ Charging Technology and USB-C (Recharge Only) for iPhone, Samsung Galaxy and More https://a.co/d/bv5D9YU

Downside is you will have a cable connecting the two that you can snag on something while moving. (Dont ask how i know :banginghe )

They make some that have a picatinny mount so you can mount right on the rifle/scope and reduce the chance of doing good that. (I haven't looked into one of those yet)

Roebuck

“Fishal Spokesman” Useles Billy Club !
Sightmark Wraith, Pulsar C-50, iRay TD50, HIK Micro Alpex should fit the bill in terms of image quality and price, you will need a good IR torch to light it up. I use the C-50 and I can see out to 200+ yards with good IR. In dense woodland for coyotes you might be better off with a thermal scope but they are a lot more than your budget.

sghoghunter

I appreciate all the responses. After much research, I’ve decided to go with a thermal. Leaning towards the Hogster vibe 35. Have to save a little more before I order one.

The 35 Vibe is what I have too and I promise you won’t be disappointed

Latest posts