Elk Hunting: What to pack

GAbuckhunter88

Im heading to New Mexico mid september for an elk hunt. Wanting to make sure I am not forgetting anything as I finalize my pack.

For those who have gone what are your recommendation to take with you? Will be based out of a cabin and going out each day to hunt. Will have a guide.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Boondocks

Better question is What not to pack? The weather can change quick in the mountains. Carry two rifles just in case. Have someway to allways be in touch,a dead phone is no good,just for safety. Good luck and have fun.

Big7

The Oracle
Whether or not you are going with a guide determines what you need besides clothes, boots and a rifle. I would take 2 rifles incase one breaks.

The guides have most everything you need besides that.

GAbuckhunter88

Whether or not you are going with a guide determines what you need besides clothes, boots and a rifle. I would take 2 rifles incase one breaks.

The guides have most everything you need besides that.
Im going with a guide, i updated my original post.

GAbuckhunter88

Beef jerky & Water. ;)

If u have a stair well in a building. I’d start walking up and down it every day
Already on it, im doing cardio every day.

Alternating daily between Stairmaster at the gym, hiking Kennesaw mountain, and running trails. Definitely not as much time as I wanted to prepare but giving it my all for the remaining two months.

godogs57

WELL broken in boots. Start breaking in new boots now…every day, with the socks you’ll be wearing. I use Lowa Renegade GTX boots

Merino wool socks. Don’t ever be caught on the side of a mountain hunting in cotton socks.

cotton camo outerwear is sufficient in that season, plus a vest for early morning chills. One heavy jacket if it gets crazy cold.

rainsuit

moleskin for blisters

knife to gut your bull out. Double H Knives preferably

knives to skin, cut up/bone out bull.

binoculars. Bow hunting? 8x30 should be fine. Spend a little beyond your budget and get excellent glass. Chest strap for binocs…holds closer to your body.

rangefinder. Keep around your neck.

Coolers: My 165 Grizzly will easily hold a boned out bull. A Yeti 105 holds my cape for mounting later. Trash bags to sort cuts in your cooler. One trash back for back straps, tenderloins, one for scraps (hamburger), one for roasts, etc.

Handheld Garmin GPS. Learn to use it!

Orange flagging to hang from tree to “mark” your bull when it goes down.…..When you return to the bull, it’ll be easier to find.

Rope to tie to the bulls legs to spread them when dressing him out, if you’re there alone. 15’ para cord is just fine for this.

Decently good camera unless your cell phone camera is very very good.

meds: bag for your prescription meds + aspirin, ibuprofen, alka seltzer, tums, toothpast, toothbrush.

More rope to tie the rack down on top of your coolers in the bed of the truck.

Important: cable locks to secure your coolers (and rack!) in the back of your truck. Any place you stop, filling station, restaurant, motel….make dang sure everything is cable locked securely. People WILL steal $$$ coolers in a heartbeat if they think they can get away with it. A big ol rack as well.

Flashlights. Small 200-400 lumen for your daypack. Big 1000 lumen if blood trailing at night. Your guide should have them. Assume he/she doesnt.

Obviously get in shape. Walking around the neighborhood every evening will NOT cut it. I promise. Doing so will also help you with your mental state, which is essential. If you’re not mentally tough, with a never ever quit attitude, the hunt will rapidly turn into just another camping trip.

Assuming this is an archery hunt, ensure your arrows have strong, cut on contact broadheads. Personal choice, but an elk’s one inch thick ribs will turn many broadheads inside out. I like Slick Trick’s myself, and so do a ton of other elk hunters.

I’ll post more if I think of anything else. This was just off the top of my head.

Best of luck! I’ll be there 10/1-10/5

GAbuckhunter88

You going to rely on the guide to call for you or are you going to give it a try?
With my love of turkey hunting I would like to try and call but with zero experience I will be learning from the guide.

HughW2

Already on it, im doing cardio every day.

Alternating daily between Stairmaster at the gym, hiking Kennesaw mountain, and running trails. Definitely not as much time as I wanted to prepare but giving it my all for the remaining two months.
Kennesaw Mt. is excellent training; that and maybe go to your local high school football stadium and climb the stairs. Conditioning and aerobics is the best way to insure the success of your hunt. The number two thing is practice with your rifle at range 300 yards or more. Practice at 100 is required, but knowing how your rifle shoots at 300-400 is critical. Finally, get the best binoculars you can afford and get used to them. Spend some time spotting deer, pigs, coyotes, cows, horses at range And in cover. Sorry just read back and see you are bow hunting. Practice with that, at more distance than you would for GA whitetail.

Guitar Guy

Most everything has been well covered here. I'll be hunting the Jicarilla again this year, and apart from a day pack with the common sense things, there's not much else I needed. Good luck!

godogs57

Arrive three days prior if you can to acclimate. I would suggest you get a cow call and try that. Reason being is that you’ll use a cow call 10/1 over a bugle. Plus, if you and a guide each cow call…..a bull will think he’s got more than one lady out there. I like the little Primos Cow Girl elk call for my #1 call.

I’ll combine that with a Primos Hoochie Mama hand call. That combination has produced bulls for me on many occasions. Ed Sceery also makes good calls. Practice in your truck when alone….

A cow call is relatively easy to to reproduce with your mouth as well! Give it a try (in your truck). Done that plenty of times. I called this bull in from 350-400 yards away with just my mouth. Got him on video before I shot him at 167 yards. He and another 6x6 got all upset at each other during that hunt. Both wanted that imaginary cow. Videoed that too. My buddy got the other 6x the next evening. By all means give calling a try. So you’re a Turkey hunter? Same exact tactics as calling in a gobbler. Just an 800 # gobbler with antlers.

166.jpeg

With my love of turkey hunting I would like to try and call but with zero experience I will be learning from the guide.