Elk Hunting: What to pack

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
I'll give a retrospective, having just gotten back from NM.

I was on an outfitted hunt, stayed in a base camp set up by outfitter. Drove into the National Forest to hunt, and was able to get to within 1/2 mile of the kill to pack out.....

Outfitter had cabin tents with cots and eggshell pads, and a wood burner for warmth. All I needed there was a sleeping bag and I bought a $5 stuffable camping pillow.

Pack was set up for day hunts. I used a non-framed pack, and had a kill kit (pack of 5 game bags, 3 knives, knife sharpener, a couple large black garbage bags, a few gallon ziplocks, and small ziplock with nitrile gloves, and a head lamp and a 15-ft length of 550 cord. Must have. Used everything in it.

Small first aid kit, with stuff for cuts, scrapes, triple antibiotic cream, and some moleskin for blisters or hotspots. Also a fire starting kit in this bag.

Small pull string bag with an extra pair of socks, pair of gloves (change out daily based on temps), and a neck gaiter for warmth.

A thermal hoodie to put on when you stop to glass, etc. Temps for me were in the low 30's in the am, rising to the mid 60's by afternoon. I was fine with a light merino wool long sleeve when moving. In fact, I never put the hoodie on.

I found the FHF gear rifle sling with pack attachment indispensable. Clips onto your pack top and bottom, with clips that connect to the rifle sling. Keeps your rifle secure on your pack shoulder strap when hiking, climbing, etc.

Bino harness with a pair of vortex diamonback 10x50's, with a Vortex rangefinder and a powder wind checker bottle.

Outfitter had a couple frame packs to use to pack out meat...check in advance to see and if not, upgrade your pack to a framed pack.

I left the tripod and spotting scope in camp. Guide carried a tripod shooting stick, so I left mine in camp. I carried a liter of water in a nalgene widemouth bottle, and had a steri-pen in the first aid kit to use if the 1 liter wasn't enough. We were never away from the truck or camp more than 6 hrs at a time so the 1 liter was enough to carry.