Empire of the Summer Moon | Book Review

Tight Lines

My guess is some of you have read this book given it was published in 2010. I just finished it, and I must say, it's an epic read. Over the years I've read many different historical accounts of various wars and battles, but not a lot about the Indian wars that occured in the West. This book was super interesting to me not only because it was about the Comanches, but also because of where it takes place. My mom and dad grew up not that far from where much of this book was set in West Texas and the panhandle. It also touches several areas in Kansas where I grew up, Oklahoma where I was born, and Colorado where I've lived and fished. I certainly didn't know the background of the most famous Comanche chief. If you like historical accounts of Native Americans, and the Comanche in particular, this is a must read in my opinion. Would be interested in other's thoughts who've read it. I think there was also possibly a movie, but I've not seen that.

1416591060.01.S001.JUMBOXXX.jpg

Last edited:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
It's a good read.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
It`s an exceptional book. I gave it a review on here some time ago.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Yes, and the descriptions of what they were capable of was nothing short of astonishing...they were an impressive people...

Meaner`n a turpentined rattlesnake too. They added new meaning to cruelty. It`s funny though, I have a good friend who is half Comanche-half Mohawk, and he is just as good a fellow as you will ever meet. He`s a living history instructor as well. His name is Little Bigmountain.Little.jpg

Tight Lines

Meaner`n a turpentined rattlesnake too. They added new meaning to cruelty. It`s funny though, I have a good friend who is half Comanche-half Mohawk, and he is just as good a fellow as you will ever meet. He`s a living history instructor as well. His name is Little Bigmountain.View attachment 1247091
That's really awesome. I bet he is an interesting fellow. They definitely lived in the moment...the past and the future didn't seem to concern them much. They had the life until the West encroached on them...

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
It’s in my library. A great read

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I'm pretty sure I read that one way back in high school but don't recall much about it...need to re-read it again. Thanks for the suggestion!
It's one of the most comrehensive histories of the western Indians, also going into a lot of tribes, wars, and incidents that aren't generally known about by most people.