Exploring and Re-visiting

JonathanG2013

Amazing pictures and story. God can make some beautiful fish. When fishing a place like that where you have not fished before. Do you use a GPS to get back or just remember where you went?

Looks like you had the time of your life. What size fly rod do you use for that stream?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Amazing pictures and story. God can make some beautiful fish. When fishing a place like that where you have not fished before. Do you use a GPS to get back or just remember where you went?

Looks like you had the time of your life. What size fly rod do you use for that stream?
I'm not sure I understand the first question? I just remember where I went. If you fish up the creek, come back down it. :) In probably 90% of the places I fish, GPS doesn't really work well or at all anyway.

The first series of pics on the lower creek, I was using a 10' 3 weight. On the headwater tributaries, an 8' 3 weight.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
You answered the question. I am going to have to get me a 3 weight also. Right now I have a 9ft 6 weight.
That's a good rod for stripping trout streamers and bass fishing, and workable on a trout stream, but a little heavy for smaller waters. I've got a 9-foot seven weight that I really like for smallmouth fishing and streamer fishing for trout.

nrh0011

Thanks for taking us along. Finding a place like that is a true blessing, I hope to have a sanctuary like that someday.

WMA Man

That’s awesome.

I’m nowhere close to a botanist or mycologist but it isn’t often I read online, outside of a scientific paper, of a species I’ve never even heard of in the SE USA. Stalked puffball in aspic was new to me, and your photo was the most apt for the “in aspic” portion of the common name that I could find. I really respect an outdoorsman that can appreciate a species based on its uniqueness or intrigue instead of its table value.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
That’s awesome.

I’m nowhere close to a botanist or mycologist but it isn’t often I read online, outside of a scientific paper, of a species I’ve never even heard of in the SE USA. Stalked puffball in aspic was new to me, and your photo was the most apt for the “in aspic” portion of the common name that I could find. I really respect an outdoorsman that can appreciate a species based on its uniqueness or intrigue instead of its table value.
Thanks! I'm a horticulturist specializing in native plants, but I've always had a fascination for them. I am also fascinated by fungi and the whole mychorrizal system. And everything else in the woods, fields, and waters.

little rascal

Hillbilly, you da' man! When it comes to trout fishing and soul searching nobody does it or tells the picture story as good as you do! God has blessed you with a beautiful place to roam and fish!

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
Thank you for posting this, Hillbilly. I really enjoyed it and the accompanying pics. You’re a talented writer and a gifted storyteller. Really enjoyed it.