Extra large king size scallop

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Kind of. They do make scallops out sting ray wings. If you haven’t tried these……you’re missing out. I like them deep fried, too. I usually end up with a few (cooler full) on my work seminars….only have about 6 more left in the freezer. And……we do make scallops from them.

IMG_4252.jpegIMG_4251.jpegIMG_4253.jpeg

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
I’ve always heard that but never tried it ! Looks good to me , and I don’t like scallops
You’d like this, I’ve seen your fish / cooking pictures. It’s a really good meat. Smaller ones don’t have the scallop texture.

These are just right for fillets. Out of curiosity grab you one at an Asian supermarket or my freezer.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
You’d like this, I’ve seen your fish / cooking pictures. It’s a really good meat. Smaller ones don’t have the scallop texture.

These are just right for fillets. Out of curiosity grab you one at an Asian supermarket or my freezer.
That’s a mighty nice offer ! You had any fresh crappie lately ? May could make a trade

georgia_home

How do you dress them out? Cutoff wings? Skin? Filet?

when I worked the boat they said use a cookie cutter to make portions. But I never did it.

Kind of. They do make scallops out sting ray wings. If you haven’t tried these……you’re missing out. I like them deep fried, too. I usually end up with a few (cooler full) on my work seminars….only have about 6 more left in the freezer. And……we do make scallops from them.

View attachment 1294293View attachment 1294292View attachment 1294294

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
Yum. Taste just like scallop. We used to catch them. Cleaning them is tough.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
How do you dress them out? Cutoff wings? Skin? Filet?

when I worked the boat they said use a cookie cutter to make portions. But I never did it.
Cut the wings off, you can use two pair of catfish skinners to pull both ways or a fillet knife. Skin removes very easy.

That piece in the pic is one wing after dressing out so it’s really not big enough to filet as a boneless piece. It does have a line of bone in it but after it’s cooked it’s like pulling butter off a toothpick.

I have filleted those sizes out away from the bone and made small scallops. Anything round works on punching out scallops.

I don’t mess with them live…….ever. Catch, hold over a cooler of ice, cut the line, slam the lid. Later on after they’ve given up the ghost you can cut the barb off, get your hook out, cut the wings off, feed rest to hogs.

Last edited:

Dr. Strangelove

Those are tasty. Kinda like catfish, I don't normally like messing with them, but they are good.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Cut the wings off, you can use two pair of catfish skinners to pull both ways or a fillet knife. Skin removes very easy.

That piece in the pic is one wing after dressing out so it’s really not big enough to filet as a boneless piece. It does have a line of bone in it but after it’s cooked it’s like pulling butter off a toothpick.

I have filleted those sizes out away from the bone and made small scallops. Anything round works on punching out scallops.

I don’t mess with them live…….ever. Catch, hold over a cooler of ice, cut the line, slam the lid. Later on after they’ve given up the ghost you can cut the barb off, get your hook out, cut the wings off, feed rest to hogs.
You can flop 'em on their back and get your hook out. It kind of puts 'em to sleep.
Good looking meal!

slow motion

I always flip em back in. Might have to try it. I'm struggling some with the cuts you have though. The wing is obvious but that second piece has me confused. Around the front? You mind showing on this one I caught a few weeks ago? BTW : I wont fall for saving the claspers. 20240310_135807.jpg

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
I always flip em back in. Might have to try it. I'm struggling some with the cuts you have though. The wing is obvious but that second piece has me confused. Around the front? You mind showing on this one I caught a few weeks ago? BTW : I wont fall for saving the claspers.
I just go down by the spine and work my way around the edge taking the wing off. I don’t cut that front off either. Two wings for me……..rest for the hogs.

If they’re big enough there’s some back bone meat in there you can make nuggets from.

IMG_4291.jpeg