Factory Seconds?

jNick

I ordered a case of shells for my 8 yr old to use this duck season from gunbroker a few days ago and when I opened the case each box has “factory seconds” on it. I plan on shooting a few soon, but should I expect any problems?

Also, notice the top of the box doesn’t match the side. I’m going to cut one open.

Attachments

• C94CCFE9-CFFD-4708-8931-4F3D7AB88A6A.png
    C94CCFE9-CFFD-4708-8931-4F3D7AB88A6A.png
    378.1 KB · Views: 44
  • 966D093D-C414-44D6-AE9D-BEB1A74F120D.jpeg
    966D093D-C414-44D6-AE9D-BEB1A74F120D.jpeg
    194.2 KB · Views: 43
  • B15B5B74-F4D9-4F1C-9A31-398408BFE3E1.jpeg
    B15B5B74-F4D9-4F1C-9A31-398408BFE3E1.jpeg
    146.1 KB · Views: 38
  • 542D1256-C11C-4442-8A03-2D087EE1685D.jpeg
    542D1256-C11C-4442-8A03-2D087EE1685D.jpeg
    96.6 KB · Views: 29
  • 4672CCAA-746A-4DDF-B370-BA8CA26659DF.jpeg
    4672CCAA-746A-4DDF-B370-BA8CA26659DF.jpeg
    98.8 KB · Views: 38

bullgator

Shoot with confidence. As long as they are Remington factory load, the issue is usually cosmetic. No manufacturer would allow unsafe loads into circulation.

Jester896

Senior Clown
like @Dub asked... that add didn't say they were seconds that I could see. Consider that prior to leaving your review once you are in contact with the seller if it didn't say they were seconds.

Big7

The Oracle
How much are they? I could use a few and have no problem shooting seconds.

It could be something as simple as a production line scratching a few thousand before it was caught or the printing being smudged.

Dub

I agree, shoot them. No major company would knowingly let defective ammo onto the market in this Sue Happy world.

Which is very odd to me that they'd use a term like "defect" on the stickers.

Modern manufacturing meeting at the intersection of lawsuit happy and political correctness seems to find terms like "blemish" or "abnormality" more savory to the general public.

I've bought factory second bullets. They were labeled as such and my plans for use were nothing more involved than casual plinking.

If I'd bought hunting loads and found out after the fact they were factory seconds....I'd not be real happy. Seems a disingenuous bait & switch by the seller.

jNick

They were not labeled as factory seconds. Also, the top of the box says heavy dove. The side of the box says steel shot waterfowl. I’m pretty sure heavy dove shot is lead. ?

The shells themselves say “heavy dove”. What I bought was advertised as 20 gauge #6 2 3/4 steel shot.

I consider it extremely shady on the sellers part and have given him an F rating and made a complaint. We’ll see if it goes anywhere. The seller has 100% rating.

Dub

They were not labeled as factory seconds. Also, the top of the box says heavy dove. The side of the box says steel shot waterfowl. I’m pretty sure heavy dove shot is lead. ?

The shells themselves say “heavy dove”. What I bought was advertised as 20 gauge #6 2 3/4 steel shot.

I consider it extremely shady on the sellers part and have given him an F rating and made a complaint. We’ll see if it goes anywhere. The seller has 100% rating.

Ouch.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that could've drawn the ire of game wardens had you been caught in the duck blind with those, right ?

Hopefully the seller will now do the right thing.

jNick

Ouch.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that could've drawn the ire of game wardens had you been caught in the duck blind with those, right ?

Hopefully the seller will now do the right thing.

Correct, if they really are lead and he paid close attention. Going to bust one open when I get home.

lampern

Cut one open and see if they are steel or lead

I don't think any waterfowl loads are made with low brass anyway?

The stickers may just be to keep the boxes together because they have been messed with.

I don't think Remington ever loaded steel dove or quail loads. Only Federal did but Federal now owns Remington.

I have Federal 7.5 steel quail/dove loads in a red box.

bighonkinjeep

That's no good if they didnt have em listed as seconds. Hard to compare apples to apples if theyre mixing oranges in the bunch.
Did the outside cardboard box for the case have any indication that the shells were seconds? Was it sealed? How about the sticker on the end of the case?
I'd like to think it was an oversight Or that if the exterior case didnt indicate the contents and they didnt know.
They sure have a goodt rating and do a lot of transactions.

Let ua know how they handle it after you contact them.

I bought a new Browning rifle from Reeds a while back. Everything went very smooth and I got the best price I could find anywhere and saved a couple hondos.
Theyve been in business since the 1950s. I dont think folks stay in business that long intentionally dissapointing customers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dub

jNick

That's no good if they didnt have em listed as seconds. Hard to compare apples to apples if theyre mixing oranges in the bunch.
Did the outside cardboard box for the case have any indication that the shells were seconds? Was it sealed? How about the sticker on the end of the case?
I'd like to think it was an oversight Or that if the exterior case didnt indicate the contents and they didnt know.
They sure have a goodt rating and do a lot of transactions.

Let ua know how they handle it after you contact them.

I bought a new Browning rifle from Reeds a while back. Everything went very smooth and I got the best price I could find anywhere and saved a couple hondos.
Theyve been in business since the 1950s. I dont think folks stay in business that long intentionally dissapointing customers.

This is the case. It was sealed on my porch in a stack with four other cases of 12 gauge steel shot for myself from another person.

Attachments

• F9763212-DE1E-483A-871D-CFAD4E801F35.jpeg
    F9763212-DE1E-483A-871D-CFAD4E801F35.jpeg
    158.4 KB · Views: 19
  • E7C0E09D-8A93-4E26-A69A-6EDB6E935C43.jpeg
    E7C0E09D-8A93-4E26-A69A-6EDB6E935C43.jpeg
    128.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 00F206D7-0C1B-4F4D-A9EC-7B6510156CD8.jpeg
    00F206D7-0C1B-4F4D-A9EC-7B6510156CD8.jpeg
    138.6 KB · Views: 19

lampern

Sure looks like lead dove loads according to the label

All the Remington dove loads I have seen (at least before they were bought by Federal) were lead only

jNick

Here’s what I ordered:

Attachments

• F70ACA19-DAC3-45EF-B7CA-D7F69EE57CCB.png
    F70ACA19-DAC3-45EF-B7CA-D7F69EE57CCB.png
    165.8 KB · Views: 36

jNick

Which is very odd to me that they'd use a term like "defect" on the stickers.

Modern manufacturing meeting at the intersection of lawsuit happy and political correctness seems to find terms like "blemish" or "abnormality" more savory to the general public.

They also say “ For Employee Store Only” on the top of each box.

Maybe I have some sort of collectors item here! Lol

Jester896

Senior Clown
3 negative reviews for them in the last month...10 in the last 6 mo
one was for a new rifle that the action screws were all monkeyed up along with several other issue.

good on you for your review...hope it gets resolved in your favor...since the say ammo is non-returnable

the magnet check would be the easiest way without damaging product... they may let you return it...with a pick up label I hope