Fat wood

shakey gizzard

l.l.bean sent me a catalog with bundles of ''fat wood''for sale. they are neatly split 1/2''x 1/2''by 14''pieces sold in two size sacks......what got my attention was the notification ....''IMPORTED"

And its only gunna get harder to find!

xpertgreg

I pulled a stump the other day with the tractor. Solid fat wood. only problem is that it had barbed wire and hog wire all through it.
:(

olcop

Fat Wood

In Pierce County, we always called it lightered, as in fat lightered, a lightered stump, etc, a lightered knot was just that, usually a limb joint or a knot that had gone to lightered,
(yep, that was how we referred to it, "gone to lightered",
one of my favorite memories of my grand father, is him making the comment about a big rain---"hit come a lightered knot floater"----JFI ,lightered in very dense and heavy.

Thanks to you all, this is a nice read that brought back some good memories
olcop

Corvus

Back when my family lived in Statesboro we had a couple fat lighter stumps on the property. We've got a big chunk of the fat lighter left after nearly 20 years and it still smells good.

jstreich

Want to see (and read)some memories from the King of the Lightered Knot? Check out a new pictorial book--mostly from Georgia although there are over 80 pics from all over:
Fat Lighter: Our Southern Longleaf Heritage
on Amazon

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
I pulled a stump the other day with the tractor. Solid fat wood. only problem is that it had barbed wire and hog wire all through it.
:(

The wire won't hurt your chain saw any more than the lightered stump will, go ahead and get yourself two or three spare chains and get to cuttin and splittin.:D

jbfitz

Me and my folks up here in the northeast ga mountains call it pine knot

LDHunter

I have a hunting lease just north of Hosford Florida and there is a crew harvesting lighter stumps off of our lease and will be for another month or so...

They have some fairly new high dollar equipment and work bankers hours so I think it's safe to assume that they're making a LOT of money doing it. ;)

I think they said they take it to Brunswick GA to a plant there to sell it.

5 pages and 200+ posts on flamable wood. Luvs me some GON

Artfuldodger

I have a hunting lease just north of Hosford Florida and there is a crew harvesting lighter stumps off of our lease and will be for another month or so...

They have some fairly new high dollar equipment and work bankers hours so I think it's safe to assume that they're making a LOT of money doing it. ;)

I think they said they take it to Brunswick GA to a plant there to sell it.

It might be the Hercules plant in Brunswick. I can remember seeing trainloads of stumps leaving or going through Douglas on their way to Hercules. I guess they are still there.
http://www.reliableplant.com/Read/7586/hercules-plant-to-be-featured-on-history-channel-show

Latest posts