Favorite Backpack

BigBass123

Looking for a new day pack, seeing what recommendations everyone has and pros/cons of what y’all are currently using.

Ideal daypack for me should be able to carry bibs, coat, 1/2 gallon water, couple snacks, flashlight, rain jacket, couple knives, tree stand harness.

If I had to guess, I’d say per year it’ll be used the following way:

- 20 days whitetail tree stand hunting
- 15 days hiking/fishing in the mountains
- 5 days turkey hunting
- 2-3 days grouse/quail

Probably walk 2-3 miles total per day whitetail hunting, 5-14 on everything else.

Couldn’t care less about brand or color. Don’t care if it’s marketed for hunting or not.

Top deciding factors are comfort, durability, proper size for daypack. Don’t need it to be water proof or capable of carrying a rifle.

Totally a proponent of the cry once buy once philosophy, but if the best backup you’ve ever used is $10 I’m all about that.

lampern

I bought one of the Neverlost packs last year when Norma had them on sale.

Its got plenty of room and pockets for gear plus the rifle scabbard comparment.

But I can't say how it would hold up in pouring rain or real bad weather and I'm guessing it's made in China if thats an issue.

BigBass123

I bought one of the Neverlost packs last year when Norma had them on sale.

Its got plenty of room and pockets for gear plus the rifle scabbard comparment.

But I can't say how it would hold up in pouring rain or real bad weather and I'm guessing it's made in China if thats an issue.
I definitely like the price point. Does it seem pretty durable so far?

Badlands.

Have 2 and they are beyond well engineered.

Good luck.
Got 2 votes for this one so far on a different forum.

jbogg

Horn Hunter full curl combo. It’s a three piece modular pack. The main frame comes complete with waist belt, meat shelf, and large bat wing pockets. The day pack is the second part, and the large bag for multiple overnights rounds it out. The pack can be as much or as little as you want. The pockets are so plentiful on the waist belt and the bat wings, and I have hunted many times with only that leaving both bags behind.

I’ve had one for almost 4 years and it is very durable. I wear it for training hikes during the week year-round, and it is still in excellent shape. All three pieces cost less than $300. Not the lightest pack on the market, but probably one of the best values.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Badlands, comfortable, well engineered. Do everything you listed well, built in water bladder etc. Plus they have a rain cover for inclimate weather.

kayaksteve

I have a couple of badlands. The “badlands 2200” sounds like a good fit for your needs. I’ve also been eyeballing the mystery ranch pop-up packs but I haven’t saw one in person yet

Hawken2222

I have a badlands 2800 that I purchased back in 2007 and a eberlestock just one pack I picked up a few years ago. They are both solid packs you can’t go wrong with either. With that said I give the nod to the eberelstock just one pack.

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
Several years ago I got rid of the backpack. It went to a roll up military style medic pack. It uses a standard general purpose strap. When moving I keep it over my shoulder and under my right arm. I can carry my climber on my back. I can reach into the bag without taking it off my back.

When I get to my stand I simply hang it it in front of me and roll it out. This exposes all the pockets where I can easily get what I want without opening the top of the pack. For me this mean less movement and organization. It holds a lot more than I need.

The attached picture shows it in use. The rifle is kinda in the way of seeing it, but gives you an idea of how it compact it is when unrolled. Stand is a standard summit and I face the tree. Bungee holds it to the tree and wrapped around the cables for extra stand grip. I use the bungee to hold stuff like gloves, hat and detatched rifle sling.4522484D-4FFC-4D92-8F62-BF0B07CDBEDA.jpeg

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Badlands for all the reasons mentioned above. Well designed, well made, durable. And the kicker that most don't think about is their no questions asked lifetime guarantee. They've got me as a customer for life. When I had the Badlands 2800 and a zipper malfunctioned after more than 10 years of use, they could not repair or replace it, so they sent me a brand new Vario 33. That's a $500 pack.

For what you're wanting, I'd look at the Badlands Diablo.

FlipKing

I got an elberletstock renegade last year that I've been very happy with. Can fit a lot of gear plus has strap points on the outside.

First Lite also developed their own deer pack as well. Might be worth a look.

RamblinWreck88

Useles Billy ain’t got nothing on ME !
A few years ago, I wanted a durable daypack made for a hydration bladder. I ended up with Osprey Manta 24:

Yeah, yeah, it's a hiking pack, but I use mine for all-day squirrel and pig hunts in North GA mountains and on South GA WMA's, in addition to long (10+ mile) hikes up ridges and through valleys, both on trail and complete bushwhacks.

Pros:
*Durable:
50 miles on mine in the last month alone; no telling how many total, with no signs of wear.
*Warranty: Osprey has about the best warranty you could ask for. They'll repair it or replace it for as long as you live. You can look up examples of people who have tested this.
*Capacity: It's been everything I've asked for, carrying, at the most, a full hydration bladder (2.5L) plus a half-gallon insulated jug, my heavy layer of clothing, game cleaning kit, lightweight rain jacket, snacks, flashlight & headlamp, etc.
*Comfort: Its semi-rigid frame is designed to let air flow over your back, but, paired with the sturdy waist band it redistributes virtually all of the weight to my hips and off of my back. As far as I am concerned, any day pack that does not redistribute the weight away from my back, is not up to task. All the straps are very adjustable. You can also tell that a lot of thought was put into making this pack easy to use.
*Hydration: It comes set up with a 2.5 L (2/3 GAL) hydration bladder, and a large, dedicated compartment which would certainly support a larger bladder. You can also just remove the bladder altogether.
*Common: You should be able to see one in person at an REI or similar store.

Cons:
*Snags:
This is my reminder that it's designed for hiking. It's got a few little straps and open side-pockets that sometimes snag as I'm working through thick stuff and sometimes they also get snagged between my scope and rifle. Even so, this rarely happens, and you can mitigate this to an extent.
*Compartments: May or may not be an issue, but it's basically got one really large compartment in the middle between the hydration bladder compartment and the outer compartment, which is a good bit smaller. So you kinda have to be smart about how you pack it if you pack it full.
*Capacity: This is up to you, but the above load I mentioned is pretty maxed-out. If this is an issue for you, you can step up to the Manta 34L

For what I use it for, I can't imagine using any other day pack. That's less of a knock against any other pack and more an indicator of my satisfaction over everything I've put my pack through.