Favorite inshore reel for trout and reds

Wood Smoke

What are some of y'alls favorite inshore reels for trout and reds? I prefer baitcasters, but want to hear what y'all say about baitcasters and spinning reels? Thanks. :flag:

JasonF

Shimano Stradic 4000FH & The Cabo line as well.

60Grit

I have 2 - Ambassador 6500-C3's on 7 ft. Berkeley medium heavy Lightning Rods, with Power Pro 10lb. line.

It cast a mile and has zero stretch for setting the hook.

Robert 31320

Baitcasters for me.

Ambassadeur 6500s for me as well. Relatively inexpensive and seem to hold up fairly well to the salt environment for me. I use 8' medium action rods and usually 14' test monofilament.

Randy

I use the Diawa Inshore Coastal baitcasters. Not only inshore salt but on the rivers every day too. Fishing from a kayak your reels stay wet a lot. The corrosion resistant bearings seem to hold up better than most. I hate spinning gear at any time. I think I own one but I am not sure where it is.

Vernon Holt

Gone But Not Forgotten
Anyone been around long enough to know what a "calcutta pole" is??

A nine foot calcutta rod topped off with a Pen Peer 109, rigged with a slip cork, 3/0 Kahle hook and live shrimp. Deadly.

Was the basic equipment for trout, bass, and flounder on the GA coast for many years. I still have mine. Bought the pole, reel base, rod tip, line guides, winding thread, and varnish at Cranmans in Savannah in 1952. In those days it was "roll your own" since few could afford top o' the line.

Randy

A nine foot calcutta rod topped off with a Pen Peer 109, rigged with a slip cork, 3/0 Kahle hook and live shrimp. Deadly.

Was the basic equipment for trout, bass, and flounder on the GA coast for many years. I still have mine. Bought the pole, reel base, rod tip, line guides, winding thread, and varnish at Cranmans in Savannah in 1952. In those days it was "roll your own" since few could afford top o' the line.

Want to sale it?:bounce:

swamp hunter

Boy oh Boy , A calcutta ! .Haven,t heard that in awhile !. Everybody used to use them for snook of the bridges and piers down south here. No reel just some of the biggest line you could get ,about 15 ft. of it Tie on a piece of red rag ,a stout treble hook and swish it around the pilings at night. Better hold on tight ,cause when it,s hit , somebodys gonna get whipped

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member

Yep, but it`s been a long time since I`ve seen one. My Uncle had one that he put together. He was real curious about it too! He wouldn`t let us younguns use it! I can`t remember if he had a 109 or a 209 on it. He pulled a LOT of sheephead in with that rig.

Vernon Holt

Gone But Not Forgotten
Surprised to hear that some have knowledge of the old standby, the handmade calcutta rod. The calcutta bamboo has thicker walls and is far stronger than regular bamboo. It would take a set as it aged, but would not break. Some would apply heat to the inside of a bend so as to straighten a rod.

Calcutta bamboo is the material from which fine split bamboo flyrods are made.

Randy: If I ever decide to part with my old rod, you will be at the top of the list for consideration.

crackerdave

Mr.Holt,that sure brings back some good memories for me!When I was little,my daddy and his brothers would take me out on the jetties at Mayport and they'd use those calcutta poles with wire line and fiddller crabs.They'd catch croaker sacks FULL of sheephead!
Woodsmoke,in answer to your question: I like Penn spinning reels.They last real well in the salt,and they are smooth reels.Nowadays,they're made in China,if I'm not mistaken - don't know if they're as good.

Wood Smoke

Woodsmoke,in answer to your question: I like Penn spinning reels.They last real well in the salt,and they are smooth reels.Nowadays,they're made in China,if I'm not mistaken - don't know if they're as good.

The old Penn reels are still good ones. About 4 years ago I bought a Penn black/gold spinning reel, ....don't remember the model number, but it is a larger reel..... at a yard sale for $1.00!!! At the time, I checked and compared it to Penn reels that were currently on the market and it was the same, so it wasn't that old! It has been a good one and we've used it quite a bit for surf fishing.