Feeding Deer..Whats working?

Rolltide123

Needing feedback on what everyone feeding thats working. We fed antler xtreme for last couple years and have been pleased with results. Now the pellets are a different color and deer are not eating. Very pricey for deer not to eat. Our lease is in Dooly Co.

rstallings1979

Needing feedback on what everyone feeding thats working. We fed antler xtreme for last couple years and have been pleased with results. Now the pellets are a different color and deer are not eating. Very pricey for deer not to eat. Our lease is in Dooly Co.
6 or 7 years ago I was all in with the pellets, protein etc. I have moved towards the control burns on large sections of my property yearly and a few Spring/Summer plots with Clover & ICP. I just feel like with the grow back from the burns the deer will likely get the same amount of protein content available as the expensive pellets. Of course the main reason I shifted was the cost of the pellets and my lack of time available in refilling the feeders as well. I also know with a few 20 and 30 acre burns it will create a massive buffet for the deer come summer.

buckmanmike

Hope I didnt come across as snarky on 1 st post. We use corn and food plots. Also mineral and protein blocks. We have a neighbor that feeds protein 24/7/365. He keeps most of the hogs on his property.
Im a look and occasionally shoot hunter. Looking only the last two seasons, but enjoy being out "there".
Good luck.

sghoghunter

How much growth do you reckon the protein added that just one extra birthday wouldn’t?? I personally keep feed in feeders all year so they’ll know who to depend on

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I’m switching to a white clover. It grows year round. High in protein and they love it. Mineral blocks.
Roasted soybean and roasted corn is highly Digestible. I put some of that out cause they like it.
Keeping areas mowed provides new green growth also. Fertilizer on briar patches after mowed is high in protein.
They are pine goats.

James12

I’m switching to a white clover. It grows year round. High in protein and they love it. Mineral blocks.
Roasted soybean and roasted corn is highly Digestible. I put some of that out cause they like it.
Keeping areas mowed provides new green growth also. Fertilizer on briar patches after mowed is high in protein.
They are pine goats.

^^^^

jam

They are pine goats.
Would you share name of the new clover and where you can purchase it?

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
U plant in September or I did. I put wheat with it. Fill in winter grains work. 200 pounds of lime to the acre. 250 pounds of a 8-8-8. That what I could find at the time.
Plant wheat 1st. Lately turned in. Came back over the top with the clover seed. Took a old pallet and drug across to cover the clover.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Then this spring I sprayed with the arrest spray and killed the grasses a d weed. What came up weed wise later I left it there. Come September again I’m going to mow and fertilizer again. With about the same Frost wi kill the other weeds and the clover will thrive. I may before a rain. Broadcast some wheat in bare spots and over the patch to give a grain water crop.
My clover is thriving I planted last year.

davidhelmly

Any protein you feed is better than corn, I fed hundreds of tons of Buck Muscle, Purina and Antler Xtreme and we grew some good deer. We also were very selective of what we shot and planted every available acre we had in perennial plots so that the deer had quality food all year long.

The 2 big advantages of protein to me were, it's not dependent on rain and it's a huge draw for the bucks and does that feed there year round so that area becomes part of their home range.

Danny Sanders is the owner of Antler Xtreme, he is a heck of a nice guy and very knowledgeable about deer and feeding them, if you are having problems with the deer eating his feed please give him a call and I'm sure he will have some good input.