Finally, a little luck!

Artmom

Guys! I was so excited to find these! I know it's mostly just chunks of flint, but at least I'm on to something!!! Check out the large point! It is purple/bluish/grey altogether. The back is brown speckled. It is chunky and heavy - as if maybe a spearhead of sorts - not light enough for an arrow, I wouldn't think. Found all of this in a little over an hour today:)
I'll go back some more this week, to see if I can locate more goodies.

Attachments

• IM001558.jpg
    IM001558.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 504
  • IM001559.jpg
    IM001559.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 502
  • IM001560.jpg
    IM001560.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 496
  • IM001561.jpg
    IM001561.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 499

quinn

Nice finds.Ya gotta start with something.Once yer eyes get zoned in you start finding the better whole ones.I think they would call a couple of them heartbreakers.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Yep, and the other stuff is waste flakes, from the manufacture of points. Sarah, in the top pic, right aboutbetween 11 and 12: o`clock, the white speckled piece. It looks like the center piece of a point, with the tip and base broken off?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Cool stuff, and nice assortment of material. Yeah, probably 90% of "arrowheads" we find were actually atlatl dart points. People lived here for over ten thousand years before they started using the bow and arrow.

bam_bam

Nice turn out for a little over an hours work. Looks great

Artmom

NCHillbilly: yes! the assortment of colors was amazing. I had striped pieces, reds, pinks, carmels, bluish tints, purples, greys, and speckled pieces. In the past, I've only found maybe 3 or 4 colors of material.

Nic: could be. I'll take a second look. I'm going back to the location with shovels next time and doing some light scooping and scraping. The site is a lot for sale but it hasn't been graded yet. They've pushed some dirt around into mounds to get rid of some bushes and scrub brush. So I'm all itching to excavate the mounds! I hope the lot sells soon and after it is graded I can take another look around! This is all on a ridgeline and facing west.

Smokey

Cool stuff for sure.
I dont have quite the collection as some of these folks but i always enjoyed looking for that stuff.

Auchumpkee Creek Assassin

Gone But Not Forgotten
Artmom, Nice finds, cool colors...........i have a clear glass/vase on my desk, with little pieces of FLINT. I cannot throw the broke ones or chips away.

Keep looking >>>====there are more points/tools in that area for sure===>

Al33

....i have a clear glass/vase on my desk, with little pieces of FLINT. I cannot throw the broke ones or chips away.

So do I Tim.:)

Congratulations Sarah, looks like you have discovered a great place with a lot of potential for more points! One hour huh? That's a lot for an hours worth of lookin'. Good for you!

Artmom

Thanks guys. I keep all the little chips of flint in shallow pottery dishes. The colors are just too pretty to discard them. I'll keep ya'll posted!

Tomboy Boots

Turkey Killer
Very nice finds! I can't seem to leave the flakes either :)... they do display real nice in a glass jar where you can see the variety of colors.

shawn mills

Nice finds girl, youre definately onto something there!

Al White

Nice finds! That blue lookin one is very unique! Nice colors! It looks like you found a good spot to look :)

drippin' rock

Good Stuff! In the second pic, about 11:00, is that a clay piece? Is it sculpted? It almost looks like legs...... Could be imaging things.

I have never kept the flakes I find. Good idea a previous poster has about putting them in a glass jar. Think I'll try it.