Finally Virus Free!!!!!

BornToHuntAndFish

We got the mother of a virus a couple of days ago on the computer.....actually 11:hair: But they were all related I think. The virus basically would throw up a pop up saying you had multiple infections and would kick you off the net and stop you from doing just about anything. These ads looked official just like the Microsoft website and logos...It would ask if you wanted to be protected click yes if not click no...well if you click no it you automatically kick you off the Internet. If you click yes protect me then it would send you to a site that looked just like Microsoft and give you different options and levels of protection starting at $49.95:rolleyes: If you see this don't fall for it. The ads that are popping up is the virus and they are just trying to get money from you and guess what if you pay it they will disappear from what I was told by my computer guy (Comeaux). Well, he told me what to do and after 4 hours all 11 virus's are gone and the computer is working good again and it didn't cost me a dime. But I will probably take him to lunch when he gets back in town. :clap:

I want to say a big thanks to Comeaux.. you da man!!!:clap::clap::clap:

Glad you got rid of that nasty software infection. Mega-Congrats!!!

That sounds just like the malware called Internet Security 2010 that infected my father's 32-bit Windows XP PC 1.5 months ago that I easily removed 24 Infections with the Free version of Malwarebytes (that a friend from church recommended after experiencing the same problem he fixed for another of our friends from church) at the web link below:

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

It displayed lots false alarms & infections blocking his web browser from access to the internet which looks exactly like the screen captures at the web link below:

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=34225

Afterwards since my same friend from church had been running MSE on his PC with the 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate version for 4-5 months with no problems, I downloaded & installed Free MSE or Microsoft Security Essentials at the web link below:

http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/

Since IS10 malware kept flashing the message "Your System Is Infected" & kept trying to sell him on buying some of their internet security software, my father suspects it had something to do with his free Norton Security trial that had ended months earlier which he refused to buy so this "scareware" was trying to frighten him into purchasing the 1st option he was offered.

Next step for me was I installed MSE on my 64-bit & 32-bit Windows Vista PC systems which used much less PC resources than the Windows Defender option I was using that came pre-installed on my computers.

Hope this helps folks.:bounce:

Last edited:

BornToHuntAndFish

My daughter had that virus on her computer too, I just removed it last night using this:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-internet-security-2010

Wow, looks like great screen captures on this malware & for a good uninstall guide. Wish I would've looked at it sooner. I did not know they used Malwarebytes too to get rid of it. Many thanks.

I saw where bleeping computer comes up high or 1st on an internet search for Internet Security 2010, but this was the 1st time I've looked at that web site. It sure looks good & helpful. Appreciate it folks.

BornToHuntAndFish

Glad you got rid of that nasty software infection. Mega-Congrats!!!

That sounds just like the malware called Internet Security 2010 that infected my father's 32-bit Windows XP PC 1.5 months ago that I easily removed 24 Infections with the Free version of Malwarebytes (that a friend from church recommended after experiencing the same problem he fixed for another of our friends from church) at the web link below:

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

It displayed lots false alarms & infections blocking his web browser from access to the internet which looks exactly like the screen captures at the web link below:

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=34225

Afterwards since my same friend from church had been running MSE on his PC with the 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate version for 4-5 months with no problems, I downloaded & installed Free MSE or Microsoft Security Essentials at the web link below:

http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/

Since IS10 malware kept flashing the message "Your System Is Infected" & kept trying to sell him on buying some of their internet security software, my father suspects it had something to do with his free Norton Security trial that had ended months earlier which he refused to buy so this "scareware" was trying to frighten him into purchasing the 1st option he was offered.

Next step for me was I installed MSE on my 64-bit & 32-bit Windows Vista PC systems which used much less PC resources than the Windows Defender option I was using that came pre-installed on my computers.

Hope this helps folks.:bounce:

Besides earlier removing 24 Infections on my father's Win-XP PC, this past Saturday I removed 28 Infections from my sister's PC with free Malwarebytes & removed 1 more Infection later with free Microsoft Security Essentials or MSE on the same XP PC. After fixing my father's infected PC earlier, I even used Malwarebytes to remove 1 Infection on a Windows Vista computer that had always been running Windows Defender which came pre-installed on it, but now I'm running MSE for internet security on all 3 systems now with no problems which automatically updates & scheduled MSE to perform hard disk scans once a week on Sundays when systems are idle.

Yesterday, I removed 4 Infections with free Malwarebytes hard disk scan software on another XP PC which now is running free MSE for real-time mode internet security.

Hope this helps others.:bounce:

Nugefan

remember what your Dad said and always use protection .....:cool:

Buzz

It's always funny to hear the MAC fans chime in when someone talks about Viruses, and the usual response is "get a MAC". Of course what the funny little MAC commercials don't tell you is that the MAC OS is not impervious to viruses and it has FAR FAR more remote vulnerabilities than Windows Vista or Windows 7. Apple is also on average far slower to respond to remote vulnerabilities than Microsoft. IF you don't believe this, doing some research and you may find it rather eye opening. Viruses are child's play often written by script kiddies. By far the most serious threat is data theft (not destruction) and many times the types of vulnerabilities that exist in the MAC OS can be exploited by remote hackers resulting in data theft. Am I saying that the MAC OS is crap? Nope - not at all, but it's far from as "safe" as many of it's fans think it is. Then again, the good news for MAC fans is that the MAC user base is so tiny compared to Windows, nearly all hackers will focus on Windows. Just don't get a false sense of security that using a MAC means you are totally safe, because that's just not the case!

Today the fastest growing source of computer crime is caused by phishing or stealing accounts / passwords. This is a browser issue and has nothing to do with if the request came from a Windows, Linux, or Mac computer. All browsers have vulnerabilities whether it's IE, Firefox, Chrome, Opera, etc.

The best defense IS using a virus program, keeping all security updates current, and some common sense!

abrannon

Prevention is the best medicine. teach your users not to click on the "Virus Scans", "Security Alerts", etc...

If you have an Antivirus program "and you REALLY should" go into the Standard settings and disable or block programs from running from the Temp folder. Block all program executables in Internet explorer. You will have to undo these settings when you do want to install something, but nothing will install on it's own, even if someone tells the PC it is ok.

The default settings on Anti-Virus programs are fine usually but they can not protect you from your self (clicking "YES" or "OK"). But the advanced settings can protect you from your self.

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
I'll second that....malwarebytes is the bomb!

Get it and don't look back.

opie44

Had the same one hit my grandma's computer and my parents computer.....all I can say is GO MALWAREBYTES!!

Also recommend ESET Smart Security...

Neither one of my computers have been hit (I keep off the facebook apps)

My name is Opie44, and I'm a PC!!:bounce:

New password-stealing virus targets Facebook
BOSTON
Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:08pm EDT
Related News

Credit: Reuters/Catherine Benson

BOSTON (Reuters) - Hackers have flooded the Internet with virus-tainted spam that targets Facebook's estimated 400 million users in an effort to steal banking passwords and gather other sensitive information.

The emails tell recipients that the passwords on their Facebook accounts have been reset, urging them to click on an attachment to obtain new login credentials, according to anti-virus software maker McAfee Inc.

If the attachment is opened, it downloads several types of malicious software, including a program that steals passwords, McAfee said on Wednesday.

Hackers have long targeted Facebook users, sending them tainted messages via the social networking company's own internal email system. With this new attack, they are using regular Internet email to spread their malicious software.

A Facebook spokesman said the company could not comment on the specific case, but pointed to a status update the company posted on its web site earlier on Wednesday warning users about the spoofed email and advising users to delete the email and to warn their friends.

McAfee estimates that hackers sent out tens of millions of spam across Europe, the United States and Asia since the campaign began on Tuesday.

Dave Marcus, McAfee's director of malware research and communications, said that he expects the hackers will succeed in infecting millions of computers.

"With Facebook as your lure, you potentially have 400 million people that can click on the attachment. If you get 10 percent success, that's 40 million," he said.

The email's subject line says "Facebook password reset confirmation customer support," according to Marcus.