First deer ever for this old man

basshappy

BANNED
So I am pretty close to 50 years old and just started hunting with firearms recently. No one in my immediate family hunted so it wasn't an activity I got involved in or exposed to until three years ago. Lots of fishing, hiking, climbing, tracking, etc. though.

Two years back I was fortunate to go deer hunting but over that three day weekend I got nothing but awesome alone time in the woods. NW GA, cold air temperature, rain and windy, walked the woods for 3 days, jumped a few does, bur failed to harvest a buck. I didn't mind the wind, rain, nor the lack of a kill. I love being outdoors in the woods. Last year Covid rained on my plan to try deer hunting again. No chance to go. This year I was lucky to receive another opportunity to go deer hunting and the three day weekend was shaping up to be a carbon copy of the first adventure - lots of signs of deer but no shot opportunities. Droppings, rubbings, game trails, even saw a few doe. No buck though. Friday and Saturday the 60-plus degree air temperature and wet ground made for an easy hike through the property. Here's a kicker - Saturday after the big storm blew through and moved on leaving drizzle for a bit I fell asleep in a tree. Yes indeed - the wind rocking the tree back and forth, the sounds of the forest, alseep I went. I awoke to a doe off to my right! I had wanted a buck, on foot, with my revolver without a scope, offhand, had this all in my mind how it would play out. LOL So I am watching this doe and wondering if I should take a shot should it present the window of opportunity. After all I wanted the meat for our family. And I had been target shooting, reading about deer, etc. Well I never got that doe as good light was only maybe 25 minutes and if I didn't have a drop on spot shot and she ran tracking her as a first timer at dusk in drizzle ... no thank you.

I woke Saturday to 64 degrees air temperature and Sunday to 31 degree air temperatures! However, Sunday morning I was presented with an opportunity and everything paid off. I watched this buck come up over a ridge, walk toward me, turn broadside, look at a squirrel eating an acorn, then walk forward a few steps. I had a Waltee Mitty moment as I thought about yelling "BOO!". Then I took the shot and harvested my first deer - an 8 pt buck from about 20 yards using my Ruger Redhawk chambered in .41magnum. To top it off my buddy taught me how to remove the hide and process the deer. Then back home I deboned and cut up the meat. What a great adventure all of it was! We have ate a sampling of cuts and everything has tasted delicious!

20211216_103946_copy_1165x613.jpg

Last edited:

Worley

Great story and a fine buck, congratulations sir and enjoy the best part——the fine meals that are to come…

Tugboat1

So I am pretty close to 50 and just started hunting with firearms recently. Two years back I was fortunate to go deer hunting but over the three day weekend I got nothing but awesome time in the woods. No deer. Last year Covid on my plan to try again. This year I was lucky to receive another opportunity to go deer hunting and the three day weekend was shaping up to be a carbon copy of the first adventure - lots of signs of deer but no shot opportunities. We woke Saturday to 64 degrees air temperature and Sunday to 31 degree air temperatures! However, Sunday morning I was presented with an opportunity and everything paid off. I harvested my first deer - an 8 pt buck from about 20 yards using my Ruger Redhawk chambered in .41magnum. To top it off my buddy taught me how to remove the hide and process the deer. Then back home I deboned and cut up the meat. What a great adventure all of it was!

View attachment 1123391
I raise my glass. Good on you man.

So I am pretty close to 50 and just started hunting with firearms recently. Two years back I was fortunate to go deer hunting but over the three day weekend I got nothing but awesome time in the woods. No deer. Last year Covid **** on my plan to try again. This year I was lucky to receive another opportunity to go deer hunting and the three day weekend was shaping up to be a carbon copy of the first adventure - lots of signs of deer but no shot opportunities. We woke Saturday to 64 degrees air temperature and Sunday to 31 degree air temperatures! However, Sunday morning I was presented with an opportunity and everything paid off. I harvested my first deer - an 8 pt buck from about 20 yards using my Ruger Redhawk chambered in .41magnum. To top it off my buddy taught me how to remove the hide and process the deer. Then back home I deboned and cut up the meat. What a great adventure all of it was!

View attachment 1123391
So I am pretty close to 50 and just started hunting with firearms recently. Two years back I was fortunate to go deer hunting but over the three day weekend I got nothing but awesome time in the woods. No deer. Last year Covid **** on my plan to try again. This year I was lucky to receive another opportunity to go deer hunting and the three day weekend was shaping up to be a carbon copy of the first adventure - lots of signs of deer but no shot opportunities. We woke Saturday to 64 degrees air temperature and Sunday to 31 degree air temperatures! However, Sunday morning I was presented with an opportunity and everything paid off. I harvested my first deer - an 8 pt buck from about 20 yards using my Ruger Redhawk chambered in .41magnum. To top it off my buddy taught me how to remove the hide and process the deer. Then back home I deboned and cut up the meat. What a great adventure all of it was!

View attachment 1123391
Congratulations Basshappy, nice buck for your first deer. Your first harvest taken during what sounded like a wonderful weekend afield. Thing is you are just a youngster and if you take care of yourself your hunting career has many many years to go. Long story coming up: I was a partner in a large Engineering firm making a lot of money, set my on schedule decided what I needed to do and when. I think I was highly respected by my coworkers and superiors. I had been fighting extremely high blood pressure for over 30 years, my average pressure was 225/100 and at times it was higher. Fast forward the BP problem had damaged my heart and I had developed Congestive Heart Failure or CH if you will. Along about 1998 it had become a problem to do my job which required a lot of travel, conducting a lot of meetings in which I was in charge. I started pulling over in shopping center parking lots and park off away from other cars and lay down in the seat of my truck which was equipped with two phones and a direct link radio so I was essentially conducting business from the seat of my truck. After I fell out of a couple of the meetings I mentioned and passing out on a large construction site I was inspecting for our largest and long term client my superior found out I was sick almost daily. They met with me and wanted to know if a lightened work load might extend my career and I told them I would never have a lightened work load, my on board computer wasn’t programmed that way so early retirement in Feb of 2000 on my 58TH birthday. I was in and out of hospitals and a heart transplant was even discussed until a new heart medication was approved for use. 2005, had the largest Pulmonary Embolism. I was in the hospital for 14 days and my team of Docs said that in my lung scans it was virtually impossible to have survived! 2009 I woke up one day or night and didn’t know where I was, who the people around me were or for that matter who I was. I had suffered a massive heart attack followed within maybe three days by three strokes! I couldn’t walk, almost was blind and knew basically o, nothing. I heard Doctors tell the lady who turned out to be my Wife that he would never walk again and has the mind of a 4 year old, the he was me. I hated the wheelchair with a passion and never slept. I hated the wheelchair and had watched everyone else walk and decided if others could walk then I could also. Two years later after exercising every night doing crazy therapy exercises that I made up I started walking with a walker and a few months later I was using my custom walking stick. My next item to concur was to learn to drive again. I had a garage full of muscle cars that I found out were mine. During all this time I was exercising my mind, reading everything in the house, my Wife was ordering history books, American history books etc plus I was subscribing to 14 car magazines per month. Eight months after I got out of the wheel chair I set a Landspeed Record on the Standing Maxton Mile at 127.XXX Miles Per Hour. I had a large bedroom with the walls full of Game Trophy’s and gun cases full of beautiful guns mainly handguns built by Colt and a few others. In 2011 I was carried on a hunting trip to South Georgia and killed a small buck. The next year I was dropped of on some property we owned my my .44 magnum, my range bag and my cell phone. I was lucky enough to have Collecter a fat doe for the freezer. I am a avid Gun Collecter and after setting my 7TH Landspeed Record last November of 2020 where I ran 138.XXX MPH I took a year off to try to get in better shape. I have another car in the shop that I have spent a year preparing to try and set another Landspeed Record next April on that Arkansas Mile. I have been going to the target range once a week weather permitting. I have a new Python that will be here next week, I ordered the 6” barrel which I think will be better for long range 50 and 100 yds that I enjoy challenging My Parkinson’s Disease. I also am hampered by severe COPD, Rheumatoid Arthritis. I have had Whitetail bucks on my mind lately. Next fall my health willing I would like to go hunting one more time before my Health won’t let me if I can find a good place to go where a somewhat handicapped man could could have a portable blind put up.
You have a lot of hunting time left ahead of you, thought about a trip out west or going for 150 MPH in a Standing Mile which is my goal for next April, Good Hunting and Merry Christmas to you and family,00B0E8A1-92DB-419D-8424-9DD50B4BB92A.jpeg760E1085-16C6-45A6-B3E1-0C34E2B5C78C.jpegF63DE8C0-330C-4AEB-B8F8-DF8C3F9DAA0A.jpeg2B1EB216-FB9B-4EAC-93FC-3A5F8BB8EFCD.jpegA74B5B4D-E8B2-4545-80FA-9AAD6E3098D2.jpegD7EBC35F-419E-45C3-869E-F1B1E606BF10.jpegD7EBC35F-419E-45C3-869E-F1B1E606BF10.jpeg956BA457-6229-4F0E-B6A3-3C1350B2C5EE.jpeg24FF4AE7-F8E4-42C2-BA79-610AD2C195A7.jpegE15D2E7C-D002-4DF8-A69C-EA8119BD9AAB.jpeg24FF4AE7-F8E4-42C2-BA79-610AD2C195A7.jpeg6275F1A3-6DB6-4568-9AF5-AEEF6896351A.jpeg

buckmanmike

Great buck BH, much bigger than my first. Its bigger than anything Ive shot in 3 years. But Im still out there trying to learn thier ways after 40 something years of trying.
Hunting never gets old or boring to me.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I raise my glass. Good on you man.
This brother! Woohoo! That is so awesome! Congrats and your a youngster in my book! Just getting started! Stay busy and keep on keeping on!

marlin

Land speed racer I noticed one of your pistols was engraved with railway express agency. There used to be one of those in Waycross Ga. that my stepfather used to manage. Sorry for hijacking this thread.

Latest posts