First food plot

Navigator0321

Going to plant my first food plot this year. Fall forage blend (wheat, oats, rye, peas) and sorghum blend. Just got done spraying weeds and saplings, next I’m going to scrape off all the brush and break the dirt up to get ready for any lime or fertilizer. After all that’s done I’ll be looking at mid August or to seed. I’ve been reading threads on the forum to learn as I go, any advice is greatly appreciated! 3658A9C9-1254-42D9-9611-21F93E9CA5E0.pngBDF1A2B3-DDD5-4CED-9688-DEE420B42AED.jpeg

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
I know, I have the itch to plant sooner rather than later, but if you could get your lime down first and worked into the soil, now, then focus on a late September or early October planting, you'll be much happier.

Heat, lack of rain (usually) and army worms are a couple reasons for me to hold off, till later.

I am assuming it runs NW to SE? About 50 feet wide? Lots of shade? The soil will be acidic and lime will take 6 months to make any noticeable change, so get it going now. Till it 4-6" into the top soil. Lime is the poor mans fertilizer, but will do the most good.

Acidic soils.JPG

Oats will (may) tolerate a more acidic soil, but cereal rye will tolerate more shade. It's good to have a mix. Clovers will tolerate the most shade and I'd recommend crimson arrowleaf and a medium red clover to start with this year.

PH rates.JPG

Peak Utilization.JPG

Proudction of cool season crops.JPG
10 reasons food plots fail.JPG10 reasons food plots fail-1.JPG10 reasons food plots fail-2.JPG10 reasons food plots fail-3.JPG

Cool season seed.JPG

Navigator0321

I know, I have the itch to plant sooner rather than later, but if you could get your lime down first and worked into the soil, now, then focus on a late September or early October planting, you'll be much happier.

Heat, lack of rain (usually) and army worms are a couple reasons for me to hold off, till later.

I am assuming it runs NW to SE? About 50 feet wide? Lots of shade? The soil will be acidic and lime will take 6 months to make any noticeable change, so get it going now. Till it 4-6" into the top soil. Lime is the poor mans fertilizer, but will do the most good.

View attachment 1094814

Oats will (may) tolerate a more acidic soil, but cereal rye will tolerate more shade. It's good to have a mix. Clovers will tolerate the most shade and I'd recommend crimson arrowleaf and a medium red clover to start with this year.

View attachment 1094815

View attachment 1094818

View attachment 1094821
View attachment 1094822View attachment 1094823View attachment 1094824View attachment 1094825

View attachment 1094826
Thank you for the info! I forgot to to test soil ph yesterday but plan on going back today to do that. The clear cut does run that direction, it gets a fair amount of sun from 8:30 am to 6:30 pm. As far as lime, I was looking at getting a liquid calcium product called Plot Start from DeerGro. It’s supposed to cut the time need for lime to work 75 to 80%. I’ll definitely get those clover varieties you mentioned. Planting later sounds good as this will be mainly a firearms season plot.

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
I would also try to steer you in the direction of getting regular old pelletized lime. I don't think there is anything that is going to replace ground limestone, to neutralize your soil. Your soil recommendation may come back and say you need 3 tons to the acre of lime and you have approximately 1/3 acre. So, you may need 1 ton of lime or 50, 40 pound bags of pelletized lime.

50, 40 pound bags x $4/bag = $200 (+tax). That may last you 3 years or more.

Navigator0321

I’ll definitely do that, the plot start is just a supplement to give the seedlings access to nutrients. I’m hoping not too much lime due to budget constraints.

No peekin

All good advice above, I used to plant around Labor Day, but now plant first of October due to info from this forum. The deer will prefer the younger, more tender growth, vs. more mature plants in the fall if you plant to early.

GeorgeShu

Get soil test, lime according to recommendations. If you are short on funds, buy and apply lime. Once it is active in the soil it will make existing nutrients more readily available saving fertilizer costs. Lime is cheaper than fertilizer. Lime is poor man’s fertilizer.
Don’t waste money on gimmicks, spend it wisely for long term benefits.

Navigator0321

Get soil test, lime according to recommendations. If you are short on funds, buy and apply lime. Once it is active in the soil it will make existing nutrients more readily available saving fertilizer costs. Lime is cheaper than fertilizer. Lime is poor man’s fertilizer.
Don’t waste money on gimmicks, spend it wisely for long term benefits.
10-4 on that, I look forward to applying these tips and knowledge.

sportsman94

Check your dates on the sorghum blend. You’ll want to make sure you plant it early enough for the sorghum to mature and head out unless you just want it for cover