First time tagging out!

stevo15

I've been hunting for about 15 years now and 5 years ago my Dad and I picked up a 240 acre lease in Middle Ga. The first couple of years we hardly saw a deer and shot several hogs. Since then I have killed my first buck and doe with a bow as well as seen the number of deer we see increase every year.

Early in the season I killed a doe with my bow and saw a couple of shooter bucks but just out of range. In the last 2 weeks the rut hit and we had some hot does. The first 3 pics are of the buck I killed first (8 point). I shot him at 6:50 AM while cruising a trail coming off of a ridge on a really cold morning. I was pumped!!

Last week I was working on a stand, putting feed out, and just doing work on the property. I finished up and had an hour and 10 minutes left of daylight so I went and sat in my favorite spot. It ended up being the best hunt of my life. 3 does came out followed shortly after by a tall 8 point that would have been my biggest deer to date. I watched him for 30 minutes with the safety off trying to decide if I wanted to shoot this deer or not. The entire time, does are pouring in. I ended up seeing 16 deer that night. The last 10 minutes of daylight 3 does came up behind me at 15 yards and a minute later a big 10 showed up. He stayed in the edge of the woods and tried to skirt me for a few minutes, but the amount of does in the area messed his brain up and he decided to come in to feed and be with them. I shot him and he dropped. When I got to him I experienced the opposite of ground shrinkage. He was bigger than I expected and by far my largest deer to date.

This will be my first deer I will mount. I am beyond excited and thankful for such a great year. You can't explain this to people that don't hunt. There is just something special about being in the woods!

Attachments

• IMG_9848.jpg
    IMG_9848.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 2,115
  • IMG_9843.jpg
    IMG_9843.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 2,109
  • IMG_9845.jpg
    IMG_9845.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 2,110
  • FullSizeR3.jpg
    FullSizeR3.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 2,106
  • FullSizeR.jpg
    FullSizeR.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 2,108
  • IMG_9863.jpg
    IMG_9863.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 2,116
  • IMG_9866.jpg
    IMG_9866.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 2,104
  • IMG_9872.jpg
    IMG_9872.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 2,114
  • FullSizeR4.jpg
    FullSizeR4.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 2,110
  • IMG_9880.jpg
    IMG_9880.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 2,105

SlowMotion

Congrats! That is a beast.

Big7

The Oracle
Monster buck for sure!

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
You gotta love it when hard work and preparation pay off like that. Congratulations to you and your dad for some well deserved deer. And great bucks as well.

walkinboss01

Congrats on a couple of really nice bucks!!

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Sounds like you will have many more great times there.
Congrats.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Beautiful bucks and a great season , congrats !!!

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
That’s a big ole swamp donkey:clap:

Congrats and keep doing what u r doing and it should keep getting better ;)

Latest posts