Flint River Catfishing

crackerdave

Good local live bait...redbelly brim is their natural food.I've still got enough kid in my 67 year old body that I still get a thrill watching a bobber go under and a good hard fight on ultralight tackle from a big brim.Maybe that's why even a big flathead cat tastes good... They eat way more brim and crawfish than I do!
This is assuming that you plan to target flatheads....every one you catch means more brim and crawfish for me.?

crackerdave

Break out your light tackle and ketch a basket full of those brim.That and heavy tackle with big strong hooks is your flathead rig.If you get that native bait on your heavy tackle or some well-tied limb lines,I feel sure you'll gittum!

Ihunt

Use brim. Locals are better. You want some current. No eddy or dead water unless you like catching bowfins. If you do, don’t put a finger in his mouth. You will not do it twice. Shallow willows close to a deep drop off are good. Keep quiet about your best spots. Good luck.

oldguy

As mentioned above when the river is low like it is now you better watch out for rocks and logs. Many just below the surface that don't cause a ripple. If the wind is blowing it's really hard to tell where the skinny water is. You can go from feet to inches deep in a blink. Check the flows on the USGS web site. Look at Albany and Newton. Peak flows are at night right now (high water). Low flows during the day. Go slow til you learn your way around. Around 1,000 CFS is low water wherever you are. Good luck.

Keebs

Miss Moderator Ma Hen
Staff member
Hey Chet.......... aka "Jet"..........(remember that nickname from grade school?)
You need to talk to Nicodemus about the Flint, he knows every nook & crannie, I do believe! Welcome to the campfire, great forum, great people!

Nimrod71

Chet, I am glad you are after flatheads. They do eat good, even big ones and they aren't as hard to clean as blues and channels. As for fishing for them bait your lines with fish from where ever you are fishing. I use circle hooks and good braided line 100 lb. test. I set limb lines in 3 to 6 ft of water below sandbars where the bar drops off to deep water. For best results camp out on a bar or sleep in the boat. Check the lines several times during the night. Make sure you carry a big dip net and someone to help load the fish. I fish the Altamaha around Jesup and you will see plenty from 30 to 50 lb flatheads caught there every week. We have been fishing hard for them for over 15 years and we can't keep up, seems there are more every year. Good Luck.