Flint River WMA

Mac

following,

Last time I looked no stats on archery or the specialty hunt?

Last edited:

Todd E

There was a toad killed there recently.
Evidently a person who puts in a lot of time there scouting and patterning throughout the year.

TurkeyBluff

BANNED, Again
Great deer no doubt and congratulations to the hunter. Dead is dead. But the circumstances surrounding that particular deer and how the hunt went/was conducted this year was pretty sad.

According to a trusted source (who was on the hunt), the guy that killed the big buck was talking about how he had e-biked past a woman, and her handicap son in the handicap area on opening morning. Guys like him were zooming all around the foot traffic only roads on e-bikes the entire time running multiple cellular cameras.

I thought it was really tacky that the deer "deserved to be recognized" on Facebook. I looked at the pictures and it sure is a mega-giant buck.

I'm glad I wasn't there to have to deal with some of the crap that I heard happened. Especially for a hunt that is supposed to be a special hard to draw hunt.

- Guys shooting half racks.
- E-bikes on foot traffic roads only.
- Guys shooting barely legal bucks.
- Guys shooting tiny little button bucks for their doe tag.
- Archery hunters scouting during the gun hunt.

It's standard stuff for WMA's across the state and legal is legal and I don't make the rules.

The person I know who hunted there said that between the removal of the width requirement and the e-bikes and cellular trail cameras EVERYWHERE this hunt has really went to crap and there is NO WAY unless they changed the regulations that he would ever burn that many points to hunt this specific WMA again. He did pass a few small bucks but saw nothing he felt was worth the 6-year wait.

TurkeyBluff

BANNED, Again
@TurkeyBluff

Ditto. I burned 4 pts on it a few years ago.
E-bikes all over, cams everywhere, etc.

I said never again.

I was anxious to hunt it next year when I have enough points and after talking with my source, I have decided to use my points on another WMA hunt.

That hunt takes less points to hunt and I can split them and use them 2 years in a row to hunt it twice.

Todd E

@TurkeyBluff
I wasn't impressed. A friend of mine went on the next hunt after us(same year). He wasn't impressed either. There were restrictions then. Folks shooting 2yo basket racks. Barely legal, if that. Their choice. I don't care. I went in hopes of a FR Sad Daddy. I came home as the Sad Daddy.
The locals have FR pegged. They're close. They can scout it all the time. I understand that.

Unfortunately, e-bikes and cams everywhere are the norm for public now.

jrbrown

The half rack deer was my nephews and it was perfectly legal 4 points on one side. Said he debated shooting it but it had character so he shot it. He also shot a 250 pound hog and hand a great time so you can't take that from him with a comment on the internet. We don't agree with the 4 point rule wish it would go back like it was. But seen several deer killed that I would only have taken a picture of and let grow but because of rule is legal now so I guess we can expect smaller deer from now on.(Watch out year and half 8 pointers)

basshappy

BANNED
Unfortunately, e-bikes and cams everywhere are the norm for public now.

Look it appears to be for many "as long as it's legal it's ok". Ethics, values, respect, sportsmanship, compassion, empathy etc... all those key critical components of what makes up a human and society ... well man the USA is at an all time low as I see it.

We burn the midnight oil here trying to keep the faith.

Todd E

@basshappy
As I stated, I don't care what others do within the law. FR was not my cup of tea.
Are e bikes legal on closed foot travel only roads.....I dunno. I don't own one. I saw tracks off in woods where there were no paths.

Just not my gig. Blast a 1 yo 4 pts on a side. Enjoy it. Be excited.

Mac

I went on the specialty hunt this year because I almost burned points for my son and I for the quota. I've never been to FR and wanted to check it out.
I think I was the only person there that did not have an E-Bike.
Cameras everywhere. I walked many miles scouting for two days and had several good-looking spots picked out.
Locals started coming in at 4:00 AM to go park at their pull-off, this was before the time changed so 3.5 hours before shooting light. Grab a kid and let's go hunting. LOL

I saw a couple of bucks taken. that were probably 1.5 year old.
Sure glad I did not apply and will not go back.

IMHO that is a certain family personal hunting ground and outsiders are not welcome. I guy I met in camp told me on a previous archery hunt he was scouting an area and a local really questioned him and told him he was hunting in there. LOL

BASS1FUN

That used to be my favorite Wma, the buck in my avatar came from there on November 16,2007 and earned me a trip to the truck buck shootout and I also killed one on November 16,2000 with my bow ( when they had the 2 week archery hunts in November). With the new antler rules it will be going downhill faster than you can shake a stick at. I’ve been saving points to go back but I might just do bow hunts from now on, I should’ve killed the biggest with my bow a 170+ giant but the game warden messed me up. I used to see a lot of big bucks on the 2 week November archery hunts and I’ve shot close to a 140” 10pt that ran off the property. The Yoder’s have it covered up and I’ve talked to some of them and they’ve been great to talk to. There will always be a good buck or bucks around down there, just have to be in the right place at the right time

Long Cut

Sounds like Joe Kurz (and every other WMA that used to be “good” hunting).

E-Bikes, Cell Cameras, changing antler minimums 4pt/OR 15” spread, and GREED has ruined public land hunting.

Go to a quota hunt, hear 15-20 gunshots all around you, and only 2-3 bucks are checked in that entire day.
*Most bucks are left to lay because they won’t meet the antler requirements *
I’m sick of the mindset “I waited “X” years and used “X” points to be here, I’m shooting a buck”.. it’s destroying the Quota hunt system.

I’ll save points until maybe one day, things change. If not, I’ll enjoy my private land where there’s a lot less drama.
End Rant.

Last edited:

huntersluck

I went there over 20 years ago bow hunting , saw some pigs and one deer. I didnt see another person there but sounds like things have changed. I wasn't really impressed with it anyway

Reactions: Mac