Florida man banned for life from hutning

CAL

Wish that Ga.had some judge's like Florida.They ain't playing for once.Makes hunters think before they go and do something stupid.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
There are judges like this in GA.

T

MIG

The sad part is...

it probably won't stop the creep from hunting / poaching. He'll just be more careful next time.

In mideval (sp?) England poaching was a capital offense, one of only two offenses for which members of the Clergy could be tried (the other being Treason). Even Draconian punishments :)whip:) such as drawing and quartering or burying the offender alive did little to stop the killing of the "King's deer".

BTW, judges in GA are empowered to suspend hunting "rights" for up to 5 years; the Commissioner of DNR can suspend for up to 10.:smash:

Slug-Gunner

They NEVER LEARN.... or STOP!!!

January 26, 2007

An 18-year-old Pensacola man now knows citizens of his area and the local courts have little tolerance for repeated wildlife crimes.

Joshua Wayne Douglas and a 16-year-old Milton youth faced a Santa Rosa County judge last week after Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) officers charged them with killing three small spotted fawns on Christmas Eve near Munson on Division of Forestry property and shooting from a roadway. A Wildlife Alert tip led officers to the pair.

Douglas pled guilty and was sentenced to 120 days in jail and 30 hours of community service, fined $1,000 and ordered to pay $330 court costs, had his hunting privileges revoked for life and forfeited the shotgun used to kill the deer. The juvenile received probation.

It was Douglas’ second time before a Santa Rosa County judge in the past two months for shooting deer illegally or at night. He and an accomplice were charged Nov. 5 for night hunting deer after the pilot of an FWC airplane and ground units spotted the pair as they attempted to shoot a deer using a spotlight.

In that case, Douglas had to pay $500 in fines and court costs, was sentenced to 10 hours of community service and had his hunting license suspended for three years. The other hunter was fined $1,353.50 and ordered to perform 30 hours of community service, and his hunting license was suspended for three years.

A new Florida law allows local courts to deal seriously with repeat offenders. When repeat offenders’ violations occur within specified times, they face tougher penalties with each conviction.

“This just shows the serious attitude the criminal justice system takes with wildlife law violations,” said FWC Capt. Mary Sumner, who supervises officers in Escambia, Santa Rosa, Okaloosa and Walton counties. “In this case there were three small fawns that a number of locals had gotten used to seeing as they drove by the property every day.”

Florida is now a member of the Wildlife Violator Compact, a consortium of 24 states, electronically linked to share information about persons whose hunting or fishing privileges are suspended or revoked. There are 12-13 additional states in the process of joining the compact.

Douglas may not hunt in any state that is a member of the compact.
---------------------------------------------------------------

They NEVER LEARN.... or STOP!!!!

Some people will NEVER LEARN or STOP COMMITTING CRIMES!

We see this in our prison systems now.... thousands of people every year are arrested, tried/convicted, sent to prision, serve portions of their sentences, and are released.... usually only to repeat the process all over again a few days to a few months later. That's why the US prison systems are over-populated beyond their designed capacity now.

The second offense for SERIOUS VIOLATIONS should be considered a FELONY upon CONVICTION for such game law violations. That way, just the possession of a firearm would be grounds for incarceration. In the above case his license was already UNDER SUSPENSION FOR 3 YEARS when he committed the second offense for a similar violation. The only real "wake-up call" would be few months in jail as a cell mate of "Big Bubba" doing 5-to life.

:biggrin2: :rofl: :biggrin2:

Last edited:

SBG

Having hunted extensively in Florida and Georgia for years, and having known some game violators that have been caught in both states, I can tell you that Florida comes down on poachers much more severely than does Georgia.

A comment was made that it won't stop this slob from "hunting," but it may make some that walk the edge think twice...I sure hope so.

Lostoutlaw

I'm with Rob on this one something just ain't right, Spotted Fawn in Dec.24th now come on that is a late drop or early drop :pop: let's go have another DRINK!!!!

Snakeman

Perfect example of why license suspension doesn't work.

Heavy fines should be used as a deterrent.

Repeat offenders need some "time in the box".

The Snakeman

Swamprat

Swamprat
I'm with Rob on this one something just ain't right, Spotted Fawn in Dec.24th now come on that is a late drop or early drop :pop: let's go have another DRINK!!!!

Living in the Florida Panhandlle I have seen bucks chasing does in April so it is possible to have spotted fawns in December.

It isn't often that it happens but it is certainly not out of the question.

grouper sandwich

I saw a doe in Gadsden county last year the week after Christmas that had a spotted fawn with her. the rut is sooooo late and sooooo drawn out down here that seeing spotted fawns i December or january is not out of the question at all.

SGTH, I don't know Scott and barely know Harris and never speak to them.

SADDADDY

that's what I'm talking about:clap:

"a new Florida law allows local courts to deal seriously with repeat offenders. When repeat offenders’ violations occur within specified times, they face tougher penalties with each conviction."

glad to see Ga. part of the Wildlife Violator Compact:clap: but they need to follow Florida's lead in convicting these people.....hit them where it hurts "in the wallet" and "Jail time"

the Wildlife Violator Compact Member States:clap:
Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, New York, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, Wyoming

:cheers:

Attachments

• wildlifecompact.JPG
    wildlifecompact.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 470

pmcIntosh

It has been a long time coming and the person who would do this needs no respect from anyone anywhere !!! The state has come a long way and I glad that there is a program that take the rights of people that do not respect the law.

Outdoorsnole

Some people don't ever learn. Taking his hunting rights away for life won't matter too much I'm sure since he's already poaching, but the money and jail time hopefully will keep him away from doing it for awhile. Next time maybe they'll fry him!!:bounce: It does suck for him though if he decides one day to straighten up and wants to go on a guided hunt or hunt out west for elk somewhere and he can't get a tag because of this later down the road. I guess you get what you deserve.

??? spotted fawns running around on christamas eve???

I've seen spotted fawns hog hunting in the summer, deer hunting in Dec. and turkey hunting in March. You never know what's going on here without a real pronounced rut.

SouthGaTrophyHunter

My bad GS. I fish with these boys,and have heard Harris mention your name,but I know that I have never met you.I figured you knew them better.I know Harris post some on fla sportmans.If you ever get a chance hook up with them they can really catch some fish.I grew up with them they really are good folks.

grouper sandwich

No biggie. I've met Scott before, but we wouldn't know each other unless we were introduced again. I've had beers and swaped lies with Harris before, so I know him a little better. he also donated a pile of grouper fillets one time for our fishing club cookout. Super fellows for sure. I've never fished with those guys, but I've fished in the same areas and they do know what they're doing.

Latest posts