Flyfishing the Flint River.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
It was fun, no doubt that. Kept 12 and turned back probably 50, mostly too small. Yellow was the magic color today. When they finally chewed up all my yellow spiders and bugs, I switched to green. And my hit count went down fast.

Guess what I`ll be doing tonight? Three fingers of good Bourbon at the fly tying table.

Swamprat

Swamprat
Water has finally got down enough in the creeks and rivers in these parts for the fishing to get good.

12 is enough for a meal or two, good looking fish. Funny thing is they can be tearing up a yellow spider today but tomorrow it might be white or green.

oldguy

95 degrees yesterday. The crops are planted. The irrigation pumps are humming. No rain in sight. The creeks are dropping like a rock. Time to go wading!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
That looks like a mighty fine way to spend a day, Nic. Also looking forward to seeing the end product down in the cafe. You make some of the best looking fried fish I've ever seen, and I've seen a lot of fried fish. :)

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Nothin no better. I’m sure you know better than any of us.

oldguy

Hey Nick, I don't see any in your cooler, but do you catch the little purple "bream" with the black spots on his scales - the spotted sunfish (Lepomis punctatus)? He's the one I call a stumpknocker. I was just looking at them on line (accidental pun!) the other day and the images show a w-i-d-e variation in the colors. Waded the creek Friday and the first 5 fish on the stringer were stumpknockers - purple with black spots and fins with red margins (males with their war paint on). A big one is smaller than hand size, but bigger ones show up, 'specially in the river. Good eatin' fish with thick shoulders. My wife actually sends me fishing to catch her a mess of creek/river fish! Poor me...

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Hey Nick, I don't see any in your cooler, but do you catch the little purple "bream" with the black spots on his scales - the spotted sunfish (Lepomis punctatus)? He's the one I call a stumpknocker. I was just looking at them on line (accidental pun!) the other day and the images show a w-i-d-e variation in the colors. Waded the creek Friday and the first 5 fish on the stringer were stumpknockers - purple with black spots and fins with red margins (males with their war paint on). A big one is smaller than hand size, but bigger ones show up, 'specially in the river. Good eatin' fish with thick shoulders. My wife actually sends me fishing to catch her a mess of creek/river fish! Poor me...

I catch those in the creek, Steve. Little scrappers too, they put up a fight. I`ve caught some fairly nice ones in both the Kinch and Muckalee. They eat good too.