Food Plot ideas for fall

buc101

I recently planted several food plots totaling about 3 acres. I planted buckwheat, sunflowers and ICP's. Normally I would wait until early October and disk them under to plant a mixture of wheat, oats and include some others seed like kale, radish or turnips. I'm looking for ideas on how to start converting some of the plots to clover and should I disk or overseed the wheat and oats for the remaining fall plots?

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !

Canuck5

My preference is to always get whatever the soil test recommends, worked up into the soil, 4-6" deep. That's the root zone for most clovers and if you put it in there to start, top dressing in later years will be fine.

With clover, you will get grass and some broad leaf weeds. Make sure come next spring you have the proper herbicides to take care of it, so that it doesn't hinder the growth of the clover.

Plant your clover, when the soil temperature and moisture are right, in the fall, so that it and your nurse crop, jumps out of the ground, with little weed competition.

This is a 12 year old Durana plot, that really started to get weak last year and I just overseeded it with whatever I had. You can see that grass takes it over every year and I go in and nuke it.

Pear Plot1.JPGPear Plot2.JPG

Last edited:

Canuck5

This is another plot, that has a little bit of everything in it, clover wise.

BF1.JPGBF.JPG

Canuck5

Planting for weed control .....

Weed Control.JPG

Last edited:

Canuck5

I am always adding Medium red clover to my mix now because it will last a couple of years, provides variety, does well in the shade (which I am learning)and has a deep tap root to help break up soil compaction.

But, having said all that, white clover is still the standard bearer.
Cool season seed.JPG

Shade tolerance.JPGShade tolerance 1.JPGShade tolerance 2.JPG

southernman13

I’ve never seen any activity in it. When I plant beans peas sun hemp etc deer eat it up. Same with crimson clover. I’ve never seen a seer eat it. I’m sure they do I just haven’t seen it.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
I’ve never seen any activity in it. When I plant beans peas sun hemp etc deer eat it up. Same with crimson clover. I’ve never seen a seer eat it. I’m sure they do I just haven’t seen it.
I’ve had similar experiences with crimson clover, however I had some arrow leaf clover growing wild on my place and deer are hammering it.