food plot question

Barracuda

The owner of our lease cut down the vast majority of our pines 3 years ago. He planted more pines that will help in a few years but here is our problem...All surrounding properties are fairly thick pines while our property is mostly hard woods and open fields. Late November and December are horrible hunting because deer movement is slower and they aren't moving off their beds in the surrounding property's pines. How can we help this....food plots?? If so, any suggestions on what to plant?

Derek

I would hunt the edges of the property and try to catch them coming/going to the thick pines. Try a food plot fairly close to the edge of the thick mess and you should be able to catch them pretty early in the morning or late in the evening coming to eat....late season they should be hitting the plots heavy with nothing else left in the woods but natural browse....

Barracuda

thanks man....we didn't do any plots this year and it's showing. been 4 times this past week and haven't seen anything. we hunt the edge of our property pretty hard, the best stands are in hardwoods on the edges of the pines. the problem areas edge the pines, which is the adjacent property, with our fields. what would you plant? im thinking about getting a timed feeder and running it all year on the edge of the field and then planting something after it is removed before the season.

hunter_58

Is the owner going to let you plant plots ??
How big are the planted pines??
How many acres is your lease?
How large are the old fields ??
You should be in good shape for many years !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Think about where you want your plots, as close to cover as possible and away from human traffic, a couple small ones inside the planted pines if the owner will allow!!
go ahead and test the plots , so you can add the lime and be ready for spring.

Derek

If you are planting right know...I would just throw out some rye, wheat, oats...I would put just a few smaller plots close to the edges with a bigger size plot further into your property....the deer will then probably come out a stage in the smaller plots before heading into the bigger one to feed at night..

I really have never like feeders....we just try to keep year round plots in the ground...we might buy a bag or corn or two to scatter when we are down but don't spend the $$ to keep the feeders running.

doe shooter

One item to mull over. If you are putting in a food plot close to a landline, then anyone with permission to hunt the other side will also benefit. We have a couple of food plots close to landlines. This year, I watched three yearlings feed then cross the land line. In a few minutes, there were several shots. I found out that at least two of the yearlings were shot. Just be aware that it will happen.

Barracuda

good point, tell me about throwing out some rye grass. i have alot of people telling me it's easy, but how often would i have to put it out and how much per bag, how much does it cover, etc.

Barracuda

Is the owner going to let you plant plots ??
How big are the planted pines?? 10-12'
How many acres is your lease? 250
How large are the old fields ?? 4-5 acres
You should be in good shape for many years !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Think about where you want your plots, as close to cover as possible and away from human traffic, a couple small ones inside the planted pines if the owner will allow!!
go ahead and test the plots , so you can add the lime and be ready for spring.

yes, 10-12', 250, 4-5 acres

hunter_58

yes, 10-12', 250, 4-5 acres

If you believe you can hold the lease for long term,
5% or more of your total property in food plots would be great. If you are surrounded by timber land you will draw deer from a large surrounding area!! as little as 3-4 acres done right will improve health and weights.

Planning and testing is what you need now. Go to QDMA web site and order the book Quality Food Plots, cost about 30-35$ will be your best money spent.
whenever you are starting food plots, you have an opportunity to do them right the first time, and you also have the time, get things ready for spring.
testing, planning, liming, and you will have some great plots.

LittleBigDoe12

I agree with hunter 58. quality food plots is probably the best book iv ever read by far. another good one is grow em' right by the dautrys. (probly spelled that wrong). but as far as rye grass its a heck of alot better to go with rye grain. rye grass is easy to plant but it will choke out other plants. Id stick with oats if ur wanting to plant a cheap and easy plot to plant.

dixie

I agree with hunter 58. quality food plots is probably the best book iv ever read by far. another good one is grow em' right by the dautrys. (probly spelled that wrong). but as far as rye grass its a heck of alot better to go with rye grain. rye grass is easy to plant but it will choke out other plants. Id stick with oats if ur wanting to plant a cheap and easy plot to plant.

58 is on the money about plots, this time of the year, I'd look at wrens abruzzi rye with winter wheat and oats.

Barracuda

thanks for all the good info....i had no idea how elaborate it could be. another question, i need a way to water the plot once i decide on what to plant. we do not have water run to the club. i do have plenty of large water tanks, but how can i apply it? looking for something simple and cheap....usually doesn't work like that, does it?

gadeerwoman

Barracuda, I've got my eye on the forecast for the next 10 days. Look like a fair chance of a little rain for Saturday with even slighter chances for next week. If that forecast holds up thru Friday noon, I'm getting in some winter wheat and hoping for the best. This year I stand a better chance of winning the lottery than getting a good rain.:cry: