Ford F-150 Motor Swap

SWAMPFOX

I got a 2003 Ford F-150 extended cab 4x4. Long story short, local mechanic, whom I trust, and has worked on it, thinks I have a blown head gasket. He said it would probably be smarter to swap out the motor instead of spending the bucks to replace the head gasket.

Just looking for input and what my options might be.

Thanks.

gma1320

I like a Useles Billy Thread
I got a 2003 Ford F-150 extended cab 4x4. Long story short, local mechanic, whom I trust, and has worked on it, thinks I have a blown head gasket. He said it would probably be smarter to swap out the motor instead of spending the bucks to replace the head gasket.

Just looking for input and what my options might be.

Thanks.
How many miles on the current engine? Also for a head gasket to be replaced correctly, it is highly recommended to have a machine shop check the deck surface of the head if it ran hot.

Redbow

I would get the head gasket replaced then drive it until it quits and then maybe get another engine for the truck. Good luck with whatever you decide.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
His last interest and yours are different. He may want to keep the old motor and repair while selling u a new one. You may want a 2nd opinion on it.
Say nothing to the 2nd and see what he comes up with.

SWAMPFOX

I am losing coolant but not that much. I just topped off the coolant reservoir and it took maybe 16 oz to put where it supposed to be.

What started this was it started running rough, missing, etc. Check engine light check showed #4 cylinder misfiring/fouled. Mechanic replaced all spark plugs and coils. A week or so later, check engine light comes on again. Again, check engine light check shows #4 cylinder misfiring. Mechanic comes back and says he thinks head gasket is bad and what's causing the issue is that coolant is leaking into the cylinder. He says that after running to heat up engine, coolant burns off. He said the check engine light was gonna stay constantly but all should be good as long as engine does not run hot. So I continued to drive it until two days ago when out on the interstate, it was running unbelievably rough and the check engine light was flashing. That's when I figure maybe things had really gone from sorta bad to worse.

I appreciate all the info here. It's really helpful. Please keep it coming.

John Cooper

?Now I Got One A Them Banner Things
Which engine do you have 4.6 or 5.4? Did he pressure test the cooling system?

earlthegoat2

You need to do a cylinder leakage test on #4 and probably all of them while you are at it.

If you put the tester on and you start getting bubbles from the radiator or reservoir, then it is likely a head gasket.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
run it long enough to warm up the engine, shut if off and let it sit until it is cooled off, overnight is even better. Pull plug #4, and have someone turn it over with the plug out. If it is leaking antifreeze into the cylinder, you will see a puff of coolant coming out the sparkplug hole when it is spun over

gma1320

I am losing coolant but not that much. I just topped off the coolant reservoir and it took maybe 16 oz to put where it supposed to be.

What started this was it started running rough, missing, etc. Check engine light check showed #4 cylinder misfiring/fouled. Mechanic replaced all spark plugs and coils. A week or so later, check engine light comes on again. Again, check engine light check shows #4 cylinder misfiring. Mechanic comes back and says he thinks head gasket is bad and what's causing the issue is that coolant is leaking into the cylinder. He says that after running to heat up engine, coolant burns off. He said the check engine light was gonna stay constantly but all should be good as long as engine does not run hot. So I continued to drive it until two days ago when out on the interstate, it was running unbelievably rough and the check engine light was flashing. That's when I figure maybe things had really gone from sorta bad to worse.

I appreciate all the info here. It's really helpful. Please keep it coming.
So did he actually run a compression test on the engine to check for the blown head gasket?

John Cooper

?Now I Got One A Them Banner Things
Like we have already said, do the things you can do first.

Pressure test cooling system

Test for exhaust in coolant

Compression test

Again the 4.6 was bad to have intake gasket failure or the intake would Crack.

This could also let coolant into a cylinder.

gma1320

Another thing I recently learned is that on some of them trucks the heater hoses leak, and can effect cylinder #4 by getting moisture into there